Your most favorite science fiction movie franchise of all time?

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By GTxForza

Hello

My personal favorite science fiction movie franchise of all time is either Transformers (Michael Bay) or Star Wars.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#2  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

My actual favorite sci-fi movies are one-offs rather than parts of franchises, but I'll say I've enjoyed most of the Star Trek movies (and of course the shows), and Alien is probably up there for the first two movies alone too. So it's probably those two in terms of franchises.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Have to agree with Fisky, my favorites are one-offs. But if I were to think of a series, and this will come out of left-field, but the Toho Studios series of kaiju films. So, my favorite science fiction movies series has to be The Godzilla series (1954–present).

BullLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Thinking about my favorite one-off sci-fi movie, I'm actually drawing a blank right now... weird. I'm gonna have to mull over that.

As for full-fledged franchises, it'd have to be Back to the Future and Alien (big mood swings here).

BTTF for its pure entertainment value and for how seamless the whole series is designed. There's not a boring minute in those three films, and if you don't start tucking at timeline and continuity strings all too much it's logically coherent enough for me. BTTF is kinda the sci-fi version of Indiana Jones, perfect escapist cinema.

I very much disliked Alien 4 (I can't even remember its subtitle off the top of my head. Resurrection?). Can't even say why exactly, it just didn't click with me. The first three movies I enjoy immensely for how each is essentially set in a different genre from the rest (psychological horror, action and, ehm, the "Fincher" genre). And even though they're so stylistically diverse, these shifts feel kinda natural to me.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Rejizzle

Star Wars good. Gundam good. Star Trek good. Futurama good. Foundation series good until it aint. Dune at least half of it is good. Mass Effect good until they killed it. Phantasy Star good. Metroid good.

I ignored the movie part. Turns out Sci Fi Movie franchises aren't generally good.

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By noboners

I would like to think that John Carpenter is a franchise in and of himself, so I would say the John Carpenter franchise.

Otherwise those Alien movies are good. Star Wars is a franchise I love to soak in, but I don't care for the movies like I used to.

I rewatched the Matrix Trilogy a few months ago, and I actually enjoyed the 2nd and 3rd movie more than I remembered. So the Matrix is definitely on there, too.

But like most other posters, one off sci fi films are usually more my cup of tea (Stalker, Solaris, Annihilation)

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Movies?! Does MST3K count? If so, all of that.
If not, I guess Alien and Aliens.
Star Wars was ok.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By shiftygism

Growing up, Star Wars...it's been a mixed bag since the Special Editions. I f'n love the first six Trek films, but the Alien franchise edges it out simply for how much I've discussed and theorized it over the years, especially with these last two and where Ridley Scott would take things if Disney gives him one last chance to finish his arc with David linking it back to the original.

dunbar256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blade Runner and Mad Max for me. The latest entries in both series were fantastic and some of my favorite movies ever.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Hey, this account only does car stuff. We should be suspicious of it trying to do market research." <makes a sci fi thread instead in the same vein>

Sneaky.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can I just group up Tarkovsky's more sci fi-ish films (Solaris, Stalker, etc.) and go with that? Because that's what I'd go with.

Otherwise, very tough call. Only the first two Alien films were good. Same with Terminator. Star Wars has been mixed since the beginning. Star Trek movies can vary wildly in quality. I seem to be the only guy who loved Blade Runner but wasn't impressed by the sequel.

@rejizzle said:

Turns out Sci Fi Movie franchises aren't generally good.

Yep.

apewins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just reminding you that Friday The 13th is an eligible answer on account of Jason X.

I dunno, I liked Avatar when it came out and am curious to see the sequels. I would never bet against James Cameron.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a huge fan of science fiction, but i like the 1998 movie Lost in Space.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cikame: Are you Matt LeBlanc? You have to tell us if you're Matt LeBlanc.

Avatar image for deactivated-6427167031e01
deactivated-6427167031e01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 49

Odd choice for some, but I enjoy the Riddick franchise quite a bit.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Alien, although 3 and Resurrection are pretty terrible, I actually enjoy Prometheus quite a lot and even the most recent one (I can only remember the working title: Paradise Lost). Life (2017) is a cool rip-off too.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zoofame said:

Star Wars and Transformers aren't science fiction though

Kinda, at least on Star Wars part. They took out the WWII allegories and replaced Judaism with Scientology which was fucking weird. The Force basically becomes a EDA count. Transformers can go the other way because robots are science.

Birtrum_Yonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Birtrum_Yonce

Can't think of any franchises

Here are some films

Stalker

Solaris

Other Solaris

Blade Runner 2049

Under The Skin

2001: A Space Odyssey

Children of Men

Possessor

The Fly

Another Earth

Moon

Primer

Upstream Colour

Showgirls

furafot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BTTF is kinda the sci-fi version of Indiana Jones, perfect escapist cinema.

blakey1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bought godzilla king of the monsters after that kong vs godzilla trailer i know its dumb but damn its like a hdr fireworks show. not a movie but watched the latest season the expanse last week and thats the best new sci fi at the moment by miles.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I love the original Star Wars movies because it’s childhood comfort food but, despite the recent entries, I love the world of Alien.

cubidog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably Star Wars for me, but I honestly don't really like the movies that much anymore. I think the games and shows are far better than the movies.

Conalikont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My personal favorite science fiction movie franchise of all time is either Star Wars.