Where does True Lies rank among Schwarzenegger films?

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

I recently watched True Lies last weekend and seriously can't stop thinking about the film. I know Arnold has had some real iconic and memorable movies over the years but I have to think True Lies takes the cake for most underrated film he's ever done. This movie really has it all when it comes to action flicks, it has spies, flamethrowers, dual handed gun-action, cars blowing up, broken bridges, and a chase scene on a horse. True Lies is truly phenomenal but the weird part is when it comes to action films it's hardly ever mentioned with the same reverence as a Die Hard or Terminator 2.

This movie has really got me thinking of where this movie stacks when compared to the rest of Arnold's filmography. If I had to put True Lies somewhere on a top 5 list it probably would be my third favorite film starring the Governator. My list would probably look something like this:

1. Predator
  2. Terminator 2
  3. True Lies
  4. Total Recall
  5. Jingle All The Way

I really like True Lies but I still don't think it could top Predator and Terminator 2 which are in my mind Arnold's two most iconic films. Total Recall was great and all but I think the fact that Krang face scarring me as a kid made me probably rank True Lies higher than it. Jingle All the Way has become a holiday classic for me that I'd have to put it somewhere on the list no matter what.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

I'd put it in his top 5 films, easily. It's a legitimately fantastic film, not just good in the stupid way that something like Commando is good. I'd also say it's Cameron's third best film after T2 and Aliens.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I bought it a year ago and haven't watched it yet (at least, not since the 90's).

I'll get back to you.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

Predator

Terminator 2

The Terminator

Conan the Barbarian

Pumping Iron

The Running Man

I haven't seen True Lies since it came out, but I remember hating it and pretty much everything he did after it.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

True Lies is absolutely near the top. I watched it again recently, for the first time in a decade, and found it to be rewarding on more than the usual visceral level I expect from 90's action movies. The mending of his and Lee Curtis' relationship throughout the movie was actually surprisingly compelling, and the movie overall is just so fucking likable. This is, of course, to say nothing of some spectacular action sequences. The harrier taking off/landing (can't remember which) on the bridge had me baffled as to how they did it, for example.

I don't know if True Lies is underrated - I would guess that it did really goddamn well in the box office - but it is certainly largely forgotten by those of us who still love Arnie's 90's antics. I would guess this is probably because it's a lot more willfully fun than his other movies, which are usually lauded for their stone-cold badassness.

While we're at it, everybody go watch Last Action Hero again.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By nightriff

I don't have a list ready off hand but I'm a huge true lies fan, easily top 3 favorite Arnold movies, maybe even number 2. It's been a long time since I've seen some of his movies but the only one I I definitely rank ahead of true lies is commando.

Edit: and I stand by me saying its the best Cameron film as well. Guess that means neither terminator movie is ahead of true lies.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

True Lies isn't underrated. At least I still don't know anyone who thinks it's a low ranking Schwarzenegger film.

Your list is suspect, though, if Jingle all the way is in your top 5. With movies like The Running Man, the original Terminator, Commando, Kindergarten Cop and (maybe arguably) Eraser not making the cut I have to wonder about it =P

But ya, True Lies is fantastic. Not for nothing, but Jamie Lee Curtis is also gorgeous in it. She's a great actress (comedically and seriously), but she also looks really good in it. To be fair I think a lot of that goes to the wardrobe department because everyone looks pretty good in it (except maybe Eliza Dushku). Even Tom Arnold and Bill Paxton, really.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first and third acts of True Lies constitute one of the best action flicks of the 90s, it's a shame about all that Bill Paxton stuff.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cornbredx: They have great on screen chemistry, it really adds to the movie and how well it works as an action comedy. Tom Arnold is actually funny in it and the Bill Paxton cameo/role is great. And yes Jamie Lee Curtis is beautiful in the movie, that stripping scene that my dad tried to have me cover my eyes through possibly changed my life (for the worse?).

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@cornbredx: Sinbad is a national treasure and should be treated as such! To be honest you do make a point for all the other movies mentioned but I think the sentimental value that comes with Jingle All the Way has me ranking it higher.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Spoonman671

Predator

The Terminator

Conan the Barbarian

True Lies

Last Action Hero

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By TheHT

It's up there, definitely. Not in the top 5 for me, but probably top 10, sure. It's a fun movie.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft: Jingle All the Way is a fantastic movie, has good action, good kid moments, funny things throughout. And my man (RIP) Phil Hartman is in it. Don't know if I would put it in my favorite Arnold movies, but is easily near the top of my christmas selection.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

No Commando in these top 5's? Get the fuck out of here

Avatar image for deactivated-64c89b592b282
deactivated-64c89b592b282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 38

Kindergarten Cop is the best!

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

@i_stay_puft: I get it. Although as for best Sinbad films I personally think The Cherokee Kid was better, but I don't know anybody that agrees with me on that one haha

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's in the top 5 for sure.

T1

T2

True Lies

Commando

Total Recall

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

1. Terminator 2 - Objectively, this is Arnie's best film (and his most iconic role). I can't put any other Schwarzenegger movie in this spot.
2. True Lies - This is a terrific action movie. It's shot well, mostly well-acted, can be taken somewhat seriously, and is genuinely funny and enjoyable throughout.
3. The Running Man - Most wouldn't put this ahead of Predator, Total Recall, and/or T1. I will. It's the best kind of 80s cheesy. Pure entertainment.
4. Total Recall - I enjoy Total Recall in all its Verhoeven glory, but it's a tad bit overrated and about 30 minutes too long. If you disagree, SCREW YOOOOUUUUUU!!!!
5. Predator - I debated Commando or T1 for the final spot, but Predator wins out thanks to machine gun deforestation, Jesse "sexual tyrannosaurus" Ventura, and the awesomeness of the Predator.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@notnert427 said:

1. Terminator 2 - Objectively...

Nope. You're wrong already because I disagree which means that statement is subjective not objective. Opinions aren't facts duder =)

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@notnert427 said:

Nope. You're wrong already because I disagree which means that statement is subjective not objective. Opinions aren't facts duder =)

Yeah, I know. I really just said that because I was trying to clarify that I was making a list of what I think are Arnie's best films, not my five favorite Arnie films. My favorites list would go The Running Man, True Lies, Predator, Total Recall, and Commando, FWIW. It was simply an effort to take some personal bias out of it, not me considering my opinions facts.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Spoonman671

@cornbredx said:

@notnert427 said:

I'm with this guy. Although, I think T2's chase scene following the Cyberdyne Systems escape is the best action sequence put on film. You know how they got that shot of the helicopter flying under an overpass? They flew a fucking helicopter under an overpass!

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great movie, has to be near the top. It might be the best movie ever that combines comedy and action where both are given pretty equal weight.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@notnert427: Sure, I understand. Unfortunately there is no objectively best anything in entertainment since entertainment as a medium is a subjective experience. The only thing that is objective is whether or not the film is well made and some people will even try to argue with that when it's not actually something to argue about. haha

If you want to say T2 is objectively a very well made action film- I'm on board with that.

@spoonman671: Oh ya, T2 is a great movie. I personally think Terminator (the first one) is a better film, though. It's a matter of preference at this point, though, because I prefer the methodical, almost serial killer like aspect, to the first film. Some people prefer the more action, thrill ride, oriented nature of the T2. Both are great, well made, films for different reasons, but I prefer the horror element to the first film so much more. I also saw the first movie before T2 when I was like 6 or something so I'm sure that colors it somewhat- that movie was scary as hell when I was a kid. That scene when he's pulling out the broken eye from it's socket was so disturbing at the time, among a number of other iconic scenes from that film.

Sagalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll take Red Heat over True Lies myself :)

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a great film. Offhand I'd put it after T1, T2 and Predator. Possibly Total Recall as well.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sagalla said:

That's the cocainum talking.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

It's fantastic but I still prefer his 80's stuff. If you asked me which one would I rather watch right now, it would be

Predator

Total Recall

The Terminator

Running Man

Commando

Twins

Conan the Barbarian

Pumping Iron

Kindergarten Cop

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Terminator 2

The Terminator

Predator

True Lies

Total Recall

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman & Robin

Batman & Robin

Batman & Robin

Batman & Robin

BATMAN & ROBIN

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Hmmmmmmm. Both the first Terminators, Kindergarten Cop, Commando, Total Recall... I like True Lies a fair bit, but it's probably just outside the top 5. Definitely top 10 though.

SuperCycle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have so many favourites it'd be hard to choose the order. I must admit though, I've always thought of True Lies as more of a comedy than a straight up action movie, so I've always set it apart of his others. In my mind it's almost always been ranked in with Last Action Hero, Twins, and Kindergarten Cop. So I'll rank it there.

True Lies

Twins

Last Action Hero

Kindergarten Cop

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By GunstarRed

It's top 5 easily. I feel like you could argue that it's better than tons of his movies, including The Terminator's.

I'd say that Predator and Total Recall are the only two of his movies I am 100% certain are better.

It's absurd this movie isn't out on Blu Ray.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By GunstarRed

@sagalla said:

When was the last time you saw it? As a huge fan of both Arnie's earlier action movies and Walter Hill, the nicest thing I could say about it is that it's a bit shit.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Terminator 2
  2. Total Recall
  3. Commando
  4. Last Action Hero
  5. Jingle All The Way True Lies
viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Top 10, if not Top 5.

I can see why people could argue for it being Top 5, and a poll could even put it there, but I really enjoy films like Conan (the first one) and Kindergarden Cop.

I would actually argue that Conan is his most underrated film. Like the first Rocky or Rambo, people tend to associate these films with their later dumb action sequels, not realizing how good the acting and story of the first films are.

456nto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Terminator
  2. Predator
  3. Total Recall
  4. Pumping Iron
  5. Running Man

Fuck Terminator 2.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cornbredx: We're in agreement on T1 vs T2 as a whole. I was suggesting that that particular sequence in T2 is better than any other part of any other Arnold movie.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: Are you kidding me? Bond was like married for 5 minutes before his wife croaked. Harry Tasker truly loves only 2 women, his wife and daughter.

Thiago123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Thiago123

Top 5 easy. #2 for me:

1. Terminator 2 - "I'll be back"
  2. True Lies - "The. Bridge. Is. OUT!!!"
  3. Commando - "He's dead tired.," and "I had to let him go" and "Let off some steam."
  4. Predator - "GET TO DA CHOPPA!" and "I'm over here! Come get me! Come on!"
  5. Tie: Last Action Hero and Jingle All the Way - "Jamie! I got your Turbo Man Doll!"

HONORABLE MENTION: Eraser

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1) The Terminator
2) Terminator 2
3) Predator
4) Total Recall
5) True Lies or Commando

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

True Lies is in the top 5 like a lot of people say. Underrated movie in general.

Awesome action and it's funny. Tom Arnold is even good in it. I really liked the game too.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kindergarten Cop- it's not a tumor

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

True Lies is definitely in the upper pantheon of Arnold movies for me, but still behind Predator, Running Man, and Commando.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Dunno where exactly but way, way up there.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

True Lies is solid, doesn't really hold a candle to Terminator 2 and Total Recall but it's still pretty damn good.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Commando is comfortably better. Even Eraser is better than True Lies.