Should I get into politics with my gf?

smokenxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So here is the story. I am romanian and my gf is georgian from a region called Abkhazia, which is a separatist pro russian region of Georgia. She is also ethnically russian.

Romanians are usually anti russian especially nowadays (she works here in romania) but I am curios what she thinks about the war in Ukraine andb Russia and all that, however I dont know if I should get into it in case she might be offended.

She is a pretty happy girl usually, but I guess you never know. Should I ask her or just drop it? We have been togheter for 5 months.

drmoltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless she‘s naturally interested in politics, there’s basically no way you can bring it up that wouldn’t feel to her like you’re trying to trap her, so I’d drop it unless you’re okay torpedoing the relationship or if it comes up naturally (e.g. watching the news or something).

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean it depends on how important this stuff is to you (you say you are "curious" not that it is super important) and of course there are various ways to raise it, but if you are serious about this woman and it's something important to you then you should probably try to find out.

I know that if I were dating someone and they supported Putin's war against Ukraine it would be a deal breaker. Same as if they supported the Russian crackdown on LGBTQ+ people. Personal and political morality are intertwined. There are some areas of politics where disagreement is fine, others where it's important, and others where it's just fundamental to who you are as a person.

That being said, everyone's red lines are different, and there are ways to raise these things without coming off as accusatory or like you are grilling someone. You can gently volunteer your own opinion at a relevant moment, for example, or mention that someone else was talking to you about it and see how she reacts or casually ask if she has thoughts. You do not want to come off like you are interrogating her, and if it's just not something that she has thought about or cares about that much (given that she is not Ukrainian and does not live in Ukraine.) And if it's not that important to you personally then you can let it go.

It's possible that she might be offended if you raise it poorly, but what's more important to you? That you might offend someone and have to apologize or that you might end up sharing your life with someone who supports the invasion?

Personally I would want to know at least the vague outlines. But I've also dropped friendships over politics and I don't regret it. If you don't believe that LGBTQ+ people are equal, for example, then I can be civil to you but we can't be friends, or more. Same if you support an unprovoked invasion that has killed many tens of thousands of people and ruined countless lives.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

With all due respect, this is likely a bot/spam account. If you want to address their question as a thought exercise, have at it.

Maybe this is a legit follower of the site that loves GB/video games, who just happened to first post on the forums with their off-topic question about Russian/Georgian/Romanian politics and their girlfriend. MAYBE. I’d buy it a little more if he opened the post with a “Hey GB duders” or something, but in its current form it’s very standard wording that could be posted to zillions of subreddits and forums.

It’s suspicious if your first post isn’t about the focus of the website at all and instead you’re dying to know what the community thinks about politics/NFTs/weed gummies/supplements/gambling. Like, why this forum?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mach_go_go_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mach_go_go_go  Online

With all due respect, this is likely a bot/spam account. If you want to address their question as a thought exercise, have at it.

AI needs love too.