Runners: what shoes do you run in?

zigzagwanderer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Hey all. Any fellow runners about? I'm a bit of a shoe geek, always interesting to see what other people are running in. I've got a fair few pairs in my rotation at the moment, but my current favourites are probably the adidas Supernova Glide 7.

Avatar image for xcobracommander
xCobraCommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nike Free Flyknit 3.0

Im not sure how I feel about them if I actually like them or not. They are super easy to put on and off though which is cool.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

I'm currently mostly using the Pearl Izumi Road N3.

I just love that he's padded a lot and feels amazing, while still being able to comfortably go at higher speeds. It's great.

As a back-up I have some Karrimor D30s. They are a lot cheaper and are still pretty good.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

Brooks Addiction 11. They're super comfortable and last a pretty long time. I went to a special running shoe store that recommends shoes based on how you walk and have stuck with this brand/model ever since.

zigzagwanderer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xcobracommander: I haven't tried a pair of flyknit Free shoes, considering them at some point though. I had the third or fourth edition of the pre-flyknit 3.0 - didn't get on with it so well, had to rip out the glued-in insoles to give my right foot a bit of breathing room.

@sessh: heard good things about Pearl Izumi as a brand, wish there was somewhere I could try them but there isn't anywhere around me that has them (I don't think they've got a huge presence in the UK at the moment).

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I need some good cushioning for my knees so I have the Nike Lunar Glides 7. Before that I ran in the Puma's I found on sale, can't remember the make, they were alright.

The Nikes are weird in that I'm fairly certain that both of my feet are the same size, yet my left foot fits like a glove inside the shoe while my right foot fit really awkwardly to the point where I had to cut off their webbing on the sides because it was giving me blisters.

Other than that they're nice shoes.

tumbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i have been using the Saucony Progrid Guide 7 for over a year now. previously i had the guide 4 which i found quite comfortable.

Changing to the Guide 7 felt great, the weight of the shoes decreased significantly but still felt comfortable.

One gripe i have with it is that the insoles are pretty thin, which slipped and bent within the shoes when it had gotten wet in a marathon and that kinda suck. I guess i had to tighten my shoes more lol

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

I use a pair of New Balance 940s. I'm definitely not hardcore or anything. I ran CC in high school and then kind of fell out of it in college. I'm trying to get back into it both to get in better shape and have some cross training for hockey.

I can't say I love New Balance, but they're one of the only kinds of shoes I can wear. I need 4E width and my arches are almost impossibly high (on the little foot pressure scan things they have at the shoe shop my arch doesn't even register - there's just two separate blobs for the ball and heel of my foot). That makes it kind of tough to find shoes.

zigzagwanderer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity:Lunarglides are pretty solid. Never run in them before, but we stock them in the shop I work at (part of the reason why my own shoe collection has escalated). Lunarglides have a good amount of cush combined with some light support elements, Pegasus is also great if you want a soft ride.

@tumbell: That sucks :/ Reminds me of this which happened the other day: http://www.runnersworld.com/running-shoes/how-on-earth-does-an-elite-marathoners-insole-fall-out

@lawgamer: Very high arches by the sounds of things! That is one thing about New Balance that's great, variable widths are becoming increasingly uncommon.

I'm about to run my first half marathon this Sunday, looking forward to it but not decided what shoe to run it in yet. Looking likely to be either Salming Distance or ASICS Hyper Speed 5.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zigzagwanderer: They're a good balance of cushioning while maintaining a relative lightweight feel. You do pay a premium because they're Nikes but I like the look so ehh it is what it is.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I run in New Balance 840v2. They've been pretty great and I would recommend them. I may have to get a replacement pair soon after running in them daily for about year and a half though.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Adidas Ultra Boost shoes and nothing else.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 thatpinguino  Moderator

Some kind of Asics. They are red and white, but I don't remember the name. I have flat feet so I really need the cushioning that high-end Asics tend to have.

zigzagwanderer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghost_cat: Got the aforementioned Supernova Glide and also a pair of Adios which are booth Boost midsoles. How do you find them? I was a little skeptical after the initial marketing blitz, but I have to say that they maintain the springy feel even in very cold temperature (which was one of the big selling points). I tend to notice the Boost most on uphills and downhills: ups seems a little easier, and downs take more focus to control yourself from going too fast.

@thatpinguino: They have so many models and colours, but they're good shoes. Some people bash ASICS for being slow to react to trends and such, but they have some great offerings for racing and heavy duty/high mileage trainers.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 thatpinguino  Moderator

@zigzagwanderer: Yeah after wearing my ASICS for so long my feat feel like they're in cement when I wear my basketball shoes. If I didn't roll my ankles so much, I'd just try to play basketball in them since they're so comfortable.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ghost_cat

@zigzagwanderer: The other Boost-tech shoes only have either the material at the heel or heel-to-toe mound. Ultra Boosts have that material covering the entire foot, so you can feel a bit of extra spring in your toes. The primeknit upper makes them very snug, comfortable, and lightweight (maybe too narrow for wide-foot folks). I've heard that the primeknit material tends to wear out quickly for those who are hardcore pavement runners, but that hasn't happen to me yet. I like them a lot, and I think they are quite stylish for running shoes. As a fan of Y-3 sneakers, I like the aesthetic cues taken from that line for the Ultra Boosts.

zigzagwanderer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghost_cat: Yeah, the Supernova Glide and the Adios run from the heel to just about the start of the toes, with the Supernova having a thicker boost midsole and Adios being slimmer as a racing shoe. I shouldn't have started this topic, it's tempting me to try more shoes when I've already got a shoe rack full :D

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Devil240Z

I don't run I strut.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By mikemcn

@humanity said:

I need some good cushioning for my knees so I have the Nike Lunar Glides 7. Before that I ran in the Puma's I found on sale, can't remember the make, they were alright.

The Nikes are weird in that I'm fairly certain that both of my feet are the same size, yet my left foot fits like a glove inside the shoe while my right foot fit really awkwardly to the point where I had to cut off their webbing on the sides because it was giving me blisters.

Other than that they're nice shoes.

I have the 7s as well! My last several pairs of running shoes have been lunarglides because they've been far and away the best ones for running i'vehad, I should try something new eventually... I don't have the different fit problems though, perhaps you got a defective pair?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikemcn: Maybe! They wore in over time but I do lace my one foot a little tighter than the other. They're really light which I think is great and I like the colors.

I use the "loop lock" system in tying my laces on that foot. I'm pretty sure it's just a dumb thing someone invented and isn't any different than just lacing them all the way up to the last eyelet like you normally would but hey why not.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

Adidas Adizero Adios Boost 2m

Couldn't find any zero drop shoes at the employee store so I ended up going with these. They're my favorite running shoes I've had yet. Very comfortable and great cushion. The drop doesn't do anything to hinder my forefoot striking and even helps when I transition to midfoot when I get tired towards the end of my runs.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zigzagwanderer: Yeah, they aren't common here either (Austria), I just randomly found one single store that sold them. If you do find them somewhere, they are definitely worth trying.

UpperDecker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got 20" Rockstar Rims on my Wrangler. Those are the shoes I run in.

Top8Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lawgamer: Don't feel bad about wearing New Balance. They in fact make the best running shoes for the price. With other brands your paying a premium for the brand and fancy marketing ploys.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Adidas Ultra Boost shoes and nothing else.

How are those Ultra Boosts? I mean I'm sure you love 'em but whats so awesome about them? I'm running in the Lunarglides from Nike because they're lightweight and heavily cushioned and the Ultra Boosts look like an even better version of that.

mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I am currently running on the Asics Gt-2000, which have been great.

zigzagwanderer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sessh:Definitely intend to at some point. My shoe rack is struggling though (and I have a pair of Hoka One One shoes I'm expecting next week)!

No Caption Provided

@hypnotoadbrwowrowrow: they are a great shoe, very good for racing and speed work as long as you don't have overly wide feet. They do stack up at higher than 2mm mind; runblogger (which is my chief source for shoe reviews online) reckons they have a 10mm drop with 23mm at the heel and 13mm at the forefoot.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@zigzagwanderer: I actually have wide feet which makes finding good shoes hard and these ended up being comfortable! lol