Punk Rock Thread(Proto,77',80's Hardcore,Crossover, Anarcho,Crust,Gunk, etc.)

VFL83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

We have a Metal,hip hop, and new music thread, so i figured we needed a punk rock thread, and a place where people can share what punk bands they are into at the moment or their favorite punk bands of all time.

Dead Boys- I Need Lunch(1977)

The Pagans- What's This Shit Called Love?(1978)

Poison Idea- Pure Hate(1983)

Teengenerate- Let's Get Hurt(1994)

Direct Control- You're Controlled(2005) Formed in 2003, sound like they are from 1983.

VFL83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By VFL83

Bl'ast- It's In My Blood(1987) Santa Cruz's finest. I got to chat with Cliff the singer a few months ago at a local SC bar. Henry Rollins may have said that "every song sounded like thirsty and miserable",but to be honest this band was better than Black Flag. Don't believe me? Ok, go listen to Family man or Process of weeding out, then go listen to "Power Of Expression" or "It's In My Blood" and get back to me. Obviously Greg Ginn knew they were great, as he signed them to his SST label.

Loading Video...

Rhino 39-Xerox/No Compromise(1979) Between Rhino 39 and Middle Class, these two bands started Hardcore Punk. I can't think of any other bands that were playing as fast in the late 70's. They gave birth to the 80's hardcore movement, and DOA coined the term Hardcore in 1981.

Loading Video...

Middle Class- Out Of Vogue(1978) R.I.P. Mike Atta. The hardcore bomb dropped with this band. Such a heavy hitter.

Loading Video...

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By diz
No Caption Provided

I was a British "Crass Punk" in the late 1970s and early '80s. Most of my memorable songs are pre-77 and nearly all are pre-1980. I've really enjoyed my trip down memory lane in picking these gems out. (Most of these links are NSFW, but this is "punk" though.):

X-Ray-Spex - The Day The World Turned Day-Glo

Crass - Big A Little A

Subhumans - Religious Wars

Raped - Escalator Hater

Damned - New Rose

Stranglers - No More Heroes

Anti-Nowhere-League - So What?

Albertos Y Los Trios Paranoias - Kill

Zounds , Did He Jump/My Mummy's Gone

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Definitely a long overdue thread.

Some things that I've been listening to recently - mainly stuff from the late 2000s, back when I was really into music:

Dangerloves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@vfl83: Nice semi obscure picks with the Pagans and Teengerate.

@diz: Probably can't start a post without New Rose and I can never not laugh at that So What video, for obvious reasons, I also like that Parkinson one which I think Charlie Brooker did as another laff.

Loading Video...

Derby.

Loading Video...

Surrey. This is still punk to me. For a long time Boy About Town became my anthem, also the Girl about Town by Helen Love

Loading Video...

Gainsville.

Loading Video...

Raleigh/Chappel Hill. NC had some of the punkest indie bands of the 90s; Archers of Loaf, Polvo... Not to mention Corrosion of Conformity and AntiSeen help formed that outsider of outsiders of punk mentality.

Loading Video...

Seattle.

Loading Video...

Seattle. Still to this day I search for the recalled 8 Way Santa LP cover. TAD to me were the evolution of Pacific Northwest hardcore like Poison Idea.

Loading Video...

Belfast. Northern Ireland and Ireland had some of the best punk bands of all time. Starjets, Rudi, Victim, Shock Treatment, Undertones, SLF etc. I spent some many weekends at record fairs talking about First Wave Northern Ireland Punk.

Loading Video...

Fukushima. Michiro Endo did some of the most genuinely threatening scary stuff and not in a GG Allen way. Also Video Stalin did some interesting stuff. The problem with Video Stalin is their only LP release wasn't mixed from the original source but the Love Terrorist VHS that compiled everything they ever did.

Loading Video...

Chicago. Also Naked Reagan Raygun

Loading Video...

Detroit. Still an amazing EP.

Loading Video...

Pulawy. I remember when I bought this 45, I had to digitise it so I could play it over and over again, because I knew it wouldn't survive the end of the day with the way I was playing it.

Loading Video...

Punchbowl, Sydney. I could probably post non stop Hard Ons! songs. Also fuck all the self righteous punk police.

Loading Video...

Brisbane. I paid way too much for this single but its totally worth it. Just about every punk band from the first wave of Joh Bjelke-Petersen's Queensland; RAZAR, Saints, etc

Loading Video...

New York. Honestly wish there was more.

Loading Video...

New York. Another great single that could've led to something more.

Loading Video...

New York. Maybe the saviors of hardcore. But just led to a number of other bands that borrowed the sounds and got big off it. [cough] Refused

Loading Video...

Austin. Yes I am not a fool it is a rip off, but you can't say its not fun, fun, fun. What a cracking tune.

Loading Video...

Melbourne. Maybe one of the most influential bands and records of my life. A band that questioned about being a punk at a time when I thought I knew what it meant and certainly when everyone looked the part but their actions were far from it.

Loading Video...

Kyoto. In my opinion the first hardcore band. Formed 78 nothing recorded til 79 and nothing was officially released or recorded, most being live bootlegs. I always thought Japanese hardcore was more exciting and dangerous when I heard it, maybe cause of the language barrier or the imagery of Yokais, but I get a thrill from; Bastard, Death Side, Aburadako, Gauze. "Gauze - Equalizing Distort" should be a genre in itself.

Loading Video...

...and people said the Ramones were fast.

Loading Video...

Toronto. I do my best to collect a lot of Candian stuff but specifically Ontario stuff, Career Suicide, Hassler Fucked Up, Brutal Knights, Haymaker, Burning Love, Mature Situations, Swarmed etc

Loading Video...

Madrid. I also love that cover of "My Boyfriend's a Zombie" by Alaska y Dinarama. I hope you like Hi-NRG and 80s Mediterranean electro pop like Sabrina - Boys. I remember when this was the troll song to play to piss punks off.

Loading Video...

Shibuya. If they existed today, they'd be like green day, shudder. But its still an amazing record.

HolyHackZack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

https://open.spotify.com/user/holyhackzack/playlist/3C9Fe8SnJYCnQV1AwDZ46b

Spent a lot of time making a definitive as possible history of punk from inception to the '90s on Spotify. Check it out

Roomrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Roomrunner