'Favourite' early 2000's Mars movie?

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By gundogan

Poll 'Favourite' early 2000's Mars movie? (75 votes)

Ghosts of Mars 35%
Red Planet 29%
Mission to Mars 36%
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

So after the bombcast where they talked about Ghosts of Mars, I decided to revisit the three movies about Mars from 2000-2001: Ghosts of Mars, Red Planet and Mission to Mars. None of them are good movies, but are interesting to watch since they all have their own approach to the Mars theme and sort of make a nice complete package.

Ghosts of Mars is the obvious b-movie one with no attempt to add much 'real' science and can be compared to something like Total Recall. And it could've been a fun movie. John Carpenter, decent b-movie cast, ridiculous in the right way story. So bad it's good right? Sadly, it's not. The soundtrack is surprisingly awful, dialogue is painful at times and the script is a mess. Such a waste.

On the other side of the spectrum we have Mission to Mars. This movie actually tries to present a somewhat realistic mission to Mars and it's kinda alright for that. Too bad the characters are so-so, the special effects very dated at times and that ending... Yup I don't want to see that movie ever again after that. It's no Apollo 13.

Red Planet sits somewhere in between the two. It presents a somewhat okay looking mission, but the whole 'we shot algae at Mars to make air' is kinda silly or at least they don't make it look like it's possible. But the movie goes along with it and that makes this one my favourite of the three. The characters are colourful enough, even though some like the Simon Baker character are kinda pointless and feel like filler.

Soooo of course the hard question needs to be asked: which one is your favourite?

• 
Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

They're all crap. I seem to vaguely recall disliking Mission to Mars the least. I distinctly recall despising Red Planet. Ghosts of Mars was just ho-hum, but sometimes good in a so-bad-it's-good kind of way. I'm with you on the characters though. Gary Sinise is probably the least charismatic actor in existence.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember liking mission to mars when i saw it, that said i dont remember much about it.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If it's wrong to like Ghosts of Mars and Escape from LA, I don't wanna be right.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gary Sinise is maybe one of the weirdest actors in the world. It always seems like he's trying to do a deliberately bad Clint Eastwood impression in his films. Still, MtM got Tim Robbins and Don Cheadle, so it's not a contest. Also, it has wonderful cast descriptions like Pretty Girl #1, Pretty Girl #2, Pretty Girl #3, 2nd Capcom, 3rd Capcom, Sobbing Technician, and no less than four characters named NASA WIfe. Soo, I think we all can agree that it's the best.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By monkeyking1969
Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer 1999's My Favorite Martian to any of those three.

Also, which is the one that was presented like a fake documentary, at least at first, or was that some SyFy original movie I'm thinking of? It was definitely circa 2000 though.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

I have a weird fondness for Ghosts of Mars, although I haven't seen it in years. It has such a cheap look to it, but it has a good cast and some decent action. It also has a real "video gamey" quality to it in the way that it plays out. It's a terrible movie, for sure, but it's not without some value.

I saw Red Planet once and I don't remember much about it except for the robot they bring with them going rogue and trying to kill them. I think it was an okay movie? Mission to Mars I always thought was kind of boring, but I do remember a death scene that was particularly disturbing for a PG movie.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Say what you will about Red Planet as a movie, but that score was amazing.

Loading Video...

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I'm fairly sure we did a Screened feature on this at some point, at least concerning Mission to Mars and Red Planet. Mission To Mars thinks it's a better movie than it is (although it kind of works to that end, and Gary Sinise's little memory montage at the end is somewhat endearing), but Red Planet's complete disregard of science makes it amazingly laughable. I always liked hearing the stories about how much Val Kilmer and Tom Sizemore hated each other on set, though.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@kingbonesaw: Pretty sure that was the Tim Robbins character?

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By uhtaree

The one where Tim Robbins is floating away and whichever actress it is can't save him, whichever one that is. Ooh, and the one where the face in mars is like a pyramid portal to some 2001: A Space Odyssey weirdness or something, whichever one that is.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

@gundogan said:

@onekillwonder_: Tim Robbins freezes to death in space and some other dude got spun around till he splatted with full gore. So yea, that's kinda on the edge of PG.

I was actually thinking of the Tim Robbins scene. I just watched the twister scene and realized that I don't think I've actually seen the movie all the way through because I have no recollection of that part. But yeah, that's a pretty hardcore death with any rating, let alone PG.

effache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The one where Tim Robbins is floating away and whichever actress it is can't save him, whichever one that is. Ooh, and the one where the face in mars is like a pyramid portal to some 2001: A Space Odyssey weirdness or something, whichever one that is.

mission to mars, which I just saw on tv a few weeks ago.

I have a terrible memory, but both those scenes stuck with me since I was a kid so I think it wins by default, although I haven't seen ghost of mars.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I think I saw one of these, but I don't remember which one. Ghost of Mars gets my vote simply for John Carpenter's name.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@rorie: It was indeed a Screened feature back in the day.

Loading Video...

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri: Good to see the science is backing me here.

Sidekick-Trio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't recommend any of them, but if Ghosts of Mars is on TV I won't change the channel, I would with the others.