Electric Dreams Impressions (Amazon's Anthology Series)

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Deathstriker

It sounds like several anthology series are about to come, probably due to Black Mirror's success, and Electric Dreams is one of them. It's based off Philip K. Dick stories, the author behind Blade Runner, Minority Report, Total Recall, etc. I'm only 3 episodes in and wondered what others thought so far. Tag spoilers if you're posting in the next couple of weeks.

I thought Real Life was a pretty good starting point. VR/simulation isn't the most original sci-fi topic to tackle, but Terrance Howard and Anna Paquin were very interesting to watch.

Autofac I thought things seemed too easy and almost contrived until the reveal that all humans were dead and she had malware in her.

Human Is was a great mixture of sci-fi, heart, and mystery. The mom from Babadook (don't know her name) and Bryan Cranston both did a great job. I might like this episode more than any Black Mirror one, or at least any recent Black Mirror.

I didn't like Crazy Diamond, it had a lot of potential but after the shootout everything just seemed weird. The main character deserved to get ditched by his wife and the android, but I don't think either one of them is any better. The wife seemed like she was ready to rat him out or ditch him and the Jill was just manipulating everyone for what she needed. I didn't really get the ending with him laughing on the beach.

dynamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

They aired episodes in a different order when this series premiered on tv. Looks like Amazon decided to shuffle them and put some of the better ones at the start. I thought even those were mediocre, definitely a far cry from the very best that Black Mirror had to offer. Watching this made me nostalgic for the modern Outer Limits show, which I really enjoyed as a teenager. Overall it was pretty hit-or-miss, but there were plenty of sci-fi gems in there.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I've only seen "The Hood Maker" so far and I thought it was alright. I'm all for these one off sci-fi shows. Obviously they're going to be very hit or miss from episode to episode but I like that they really seem to go for it. Amazon/Netflix's seemingly high budget doesnt seem to hurt either.

(Although I thought Black Mirror was better pre-Netflix but that could just be because i'm British ;p)

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Deathstriker
@boozak said:

I've only seen "The Hood Maker" so far and I thought it was alright. I'm all for these one off sci-fi shows. Obviously they're going to be very hit or miss from episode to episode but I like that they really seem to go for it. Amazon/Netflix's seemingly high budget doesnt seem to hurt either.

(Although I thought Black Mirror was better pre-Netflix but that could just be because i'm British ;p)

I'm five episodes in now. I liked Hood Maker until the end. I don't think the teeps were sympathetic in the last few scenes, people have a right to not be mind read and Robb Stark definitely didn't deserve to be burnt to death just for lying to her by being charming like in a romantic comedy. Other than that I liked the episode well enough, it was an interesting world, especially since they were post computers and high-end technology, not just an alternative 1950's or whatever.

I'm American, I liked Black Mirror before Netflix took it over and there is a bit of a difference. Seems like post-Netflix there's a bit more of moral each episode and they've slowly introduced happier endings/episodes. There's more of a change than this, it's just hard for me to say what it is exactly.