COLLEGE: Which type of classes do you prefer: Morning or Night classes?

CallMeTitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CallMeTitus

I'm really curious on why some people aren't morning people or night people. I'm a morning person, my semester in college is about to start and my schedule has classes that start at 8 am everyday except Thursday, which I don't mind since I'm a morning person. I like to get everything done in the morning so I have the rest of the day to go to the gym, finish my homework, get groceries, etc.

So discuss why you are a morning person or night person, etc.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By liquiddragon

I liked night classes but if I don't have a reason to get up, I will sleep in so morning classes were better for my life. Who knows why a person is the way they are. I like when I'm up in the morning but I like staying up late so it's hard for me to get up. That's it.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Morning classes all the way. Same as with work I prefer to get it out of the way at the start of the day while I am still fresh, so that I can spend the rest of the day doing other stuff. They also make me wake up earlier and force me into a good sleep cycle which is nice.

CallMeTitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@odinsmana: Me too, my sleep cycle is perfect since morning classes make it happen, I usually get exhausted around 11-12 pm (sometimes 10:30) at night and then sleep 6-8 hours and get ready for my morning class.

Squaglodyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always found I prefer mid-day classes, with the day starting around 11:30-12:00 and ending by 3:30 or 4:00 at the latest. that way I can take my time in the morning and be fully awake for class, but I still have an evening to myself. That being said my current schedule is more front-loaded and being home by noon is pretty nice.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Morning classes by a mile. One term I crammed all of my classes into the morning all in a row so I had class from 8:30-1:20 3 days a week. It was heaven. I got more done that term in terms of both school and outside school than the rest of university combined. I was home by 2, ate a small lunch, worked out, did my homework and readings, and then relaxed for the night. I lost a ton of weight and got quite fit. I did the best I ever did throughout all of school while I managed to work on the weekends.

The one term I had spread out, mostly later classes I got into a really bad sleep schedule and my marks sucked. I actually started skipping classes a bit (it felt pointless to walk to school for 45 to go to a 50 minute lecture that would be posted online and then walk home again when I could just stay home and get stuff done. 3 days a week I had one class in the middle of the afternoon and that was it. The other two days I had a class at 10, a class at noon, and a lab at 3:30). After that term is when I realized I needed to pick early classes. Luckily, when I switched majors most classes specific to my major were early and close together since they knew there was a lot of homework and projects.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Morning for sure. I tried to have it so that I would have two morning classes in a row and two afternoon classes throughout my college years. In junior year I started a sport, rowing, so I tried to not have one first thing if I could avoid it....but that was not always possible.

ColossalGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Morning classes are the way to go. It gets me out of bed at reasonable time and, starts my day off right by being productive. It is fantastic. I also enjoy early afternoon classes.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Onemanarmyy

i'm a nightperson but i preferred morning classes, if it's a nightclass, you're constantly reminded that you still have stuff to do later on. When it's a morningclass, once you're done with it you can look ahead and do stuff in the comfort of your own home.

With exams, eveningclasses might be more preferrable because i don't trust my brain with sleep. I know that the saying goes that sleep is good for remembering things, but it doesn't seem to work out for me. I'm better with the subject if i surround myself with it, get into the mindset. If i wake up at 7 am with sleep in my eyes, i don't feel like i'm the best version of myself.

It's also really annoying to be in bed with the goal to fall asleep, while you try to make sure that you remember the important stuff you want to retain. So there's a ton of brain activity spent on the exam, while you try to fall asleep. It always results into me just not sleeping very much before an important exam, take the exam, and then fall asleep afterwards.

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By DinosaurCanada

Definitely prefer night classes or afternoon classes. With morning classes I know I'll just be late everyday, and there is just no hope for me to be mentally functioning before 12, mostly because I'd just stay up all night anyway. Plus, there are less people in night classes typically, so it's a more comfortable experience. On top of that I can also have a part time day job, which are more common and I wouldn't want a night job after day school.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This answer depends entirely on if I am living on campus or off.

On campus: Morning > Night
+ Easy to get to and be done with

Off campus Night > Morning
+ Easier to have a job at the same time

In truth, mid-day classes are the best.

Avatar image for deactivated-633c70ff026e8
deactivated-633c70ff026e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've done both. I prefer morning classes even though I have a long history of being late to class and I really like sleeping in, it's just better to get that stuff out of the way. I really dislike afternoon classes as well, it just gets in the way of everything else and it feels like you're just waiting for class to start all morning. Night classes are fine if you have a job and you work in the day time.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Trilogy

As much as I am really not a morning person, I have to go with morning classes here. I've done both, and I'd rather get the classes out of the way early and have the rest of the day/night to myself. Keeps you away from developing really bad sleeping habits too, if you're anything like me. My ideal time for classes starting was always around 9:30-10.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

@ben_h: I've a class like that this semester.

Tuesdays for me are completely free except for one lecture between 4pm and 5pm. How someone thought that would be a good idea is beyond me.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

My favorite semesters were the ones where I got everything done and move on with my day. This is probably also why I had classes Monday through Friday.

This may not be 100% accurate, but I had semesters like this:

• Monday, Wednesday Friday: Two classes back to back, one hour break, one class; done for the day in 4 hours
  • Tuesday, Thursday: Two classes with a short break in between; done for the day in about 3 hours

I think most of these classes started between 8:00 to 10:00 AM, so I was done around 1:00 PM each day. Later on, maybe for scheduling reasons, I had classes that went on to 3:30 to 5:00 PM, but it's better to be done before then.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Morning classes (after 9 AM) for sure. It was always nice in college to be done for the day around 2 or 3 PM and then just relax and hang out with people. Everyone is in class during the day, so I feel like I would have been super lonely if I would have signed up for night classes.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

When I was still in school I preferred morning classes because they freed up evenings for work. I'm not a morning person at all, but one has to make a living you know.

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I choose death. Those are both terrible options. When I was in undergrad I scheduled all my classes to be somewhere between 11am and 4pm. If I had to pick though, I would've gone with night classes. Its not even a question of being a morning person (which I basically am), its that the morning is the best time to cram for tests later that day and I'd never want to lose that time. Also, back then I recovered from hangovers a lot faster than I do now, but there still needs to be some time allowed for that.

When I was in grad school all my classes were night classes, but that's because I was working full-time then (in fact I think my program only offered night classes because they expected everyone to be working). And that was fine.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

8 AM classes on Mondays will be the bane of my existence.

I prefer morning classes in theory, because then you have the rest of the day free. I just suck and keep staying up late though, so I get too few hours of sleep.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Afternoon/night classes. Even classes as late as 11am/noon are too hard for me to get out of bed for and I end up skipping them because I don't want to wake up.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

Morning classes that end before 2PM are the way to go. There's a solid hour of suck right at the beginning of the day but after that it feels glorious

Earlier the better

CallMeTitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skullpanda1: That's true indeed, living on/off campus is a major factor that could affect some people whether or not they want morning classes or not. I have a colleague who commutes about an hour away from College, he has some morning classes, but the problem is that he has to wake up at 5:30 am. But luckily he's got a day off on his schedule since he crowded his schedule a bit to get most of his classes overwith and can have a day off so he doesn't have to commute to the college just for one class like I have on a Wednesday, I live on campus.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Morning, but unfortunately as i get higher up I get all over the place. I just like having the rest of the day after classes rather than having them hang over my head all day

lun49gameon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like my classes to be late in the morning like at 10 or preferably at 11 am. I usually go to sleep at midnight or 1 so a class at 7 or 8 am is a no no for me. Today I had to go to the first day of one of my electricity classes but I couldn't do it because it starts at 5:30 in the afternoon and ends at 11 pm... and thats the class i have after my class at 1 pm and my other class at 3. So that means Im stuck at school for 10 to 11 hours and thats no fun. I actually did manage to take one of these classes before at that same late night time slot but that semester I had all my classes everyday after 3 pm and no classes in the morning. I remember almost falling asleep when it got to 8 pm and wanting to leave class so bad and then I would get home, read from my book, do homework, eat and fall asleep at 2 am and wake up to go to class at 4pm. Im actually debating on dropping the 5 hour class and taking it in the summer, I don't think I can function properly at that time.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I am a night person. I feel like a zombie during the day and then sometime around 10 or 11PM, I usually perk up and can keep going until the sun starts peeking over the horizon.

Don't get me wrong, I wish I was a morning person. It would be great to wake up when everyone else does and get things done normally - but something about me just doesn't work that well when I wake up that early in the morning. I can wake up in the morning and get stuff done, if I need to, but I definitely do my best at night.

When I was in college, I tried to take most of my classes in the midday. I didn't want evening classes, but I didn't want to wake up at 7 in the morning either. And my job was actually at the college, so my work hours were usually scheduled after I had my classes scheduled.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont really have a preference between the two. What always bothered me in University were the days where I would have a 9am class and then nothing until about 5pm. Or even worse, classes staggered 2 hours apart. Not long enough to actually do anything between classes but long enough to be inconvenient and dull.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I have been a morning person my whole life, except for college. My first semester I scheduled classes for 8 am, because that was 2 hours later than I was showing up to high school (morning weight lifting, practices, etc). That was awful. After that, the earliest class I scheduled was 9 am. I also found that 2:30 was when my attention would wane significantly. So I would usually schedule classes for 9, 10, 11 & 1 for MWF, and 9:30 & 11 on TTh.

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Morning almost always except for Monday. Also ideally no classes or 1 class on Fridays, but I may have had mixed up priorities in college lol

interlude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to drive ~40 miles to attend my classes. Both suck but night classes give me room to work in the mornings over. I'm currently doing both just to graduate a little sooner. DON'T DO THIS. It's not worth it at all. In hindsight, I wish I had just followed my adviser's advise.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Morning for sure. Get that shit out of the way first and then have the rest of the day to do whatever I want.

Avatar image for master_live_013
Master_Live_013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, totally a morning person. I used to scheduled all the classes I could to start at 7:00am.

SanchezMartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SanchezMartin

slyspider said:

Night classes Vs Day classes before the night class_do my homework

Night classes are relaxing and calm. I was just drowsy and sleepy all the time. But our professor was a geek who gave us tests all the time and we had to do them quickly to finish the class earlier, though she made us wait for all students to finish their tasks.

We had night classes only once a week and it was ok. I usually took a nap before the night class or did my hw. Our professor let us out earlier usually, when he was in a good mood (he had a girlfriend and she waited for him outside a couple of times, so I guess I know why he was in a hurry, lol).

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Look at this thread, lurching about like it's people when its really three dogs in an overcoat.

Who pays people to resurrect these, and how can i get some of their money?

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Old-ass thread but I'll answer anyway.

Morning. Show up at 8, leave by 10:30, and I have the rest of the day to myself.