Are you liking the new South Park season?

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

Considering the themes South Park usually touches on, I'm going to ask this before hand to please not let this devolve into a political discussion. I am wondering if people who still watch South Park are finding the new season good, entertaining or funny.

I thought the second episode was real good. With Kanye before and here now, they show they can just quickly create catchy songs that resemble popular music right now (these episodes are created from scratch in 6 days, let alone the song itself). I am guilty of being caught by them and actually listening to them outside of the show sometimes. I thought the message at the end was also quite funny.

Didn't think too much of the first episode. It was entertaining, but not much more.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So far so good. I've always enjoyed South Park, besides some of it's ups and downs, so it's still fine to me. I like that it isn't doing another entire storyline season while keeping the continuity between episodes of anything that did go on. Garrison as the president, Cartmans girlfriend, that principle guy, etc.

I think they have some of the best side characters on t.v. Butters, Tweak, Timmy, etc, so a Tweak focused episode was a joy. The season will still be going when the game comes out, so I'm looking forward if they tie them together or not.

When the first game came out, they tied the season into that at the very very end by having Cartman pick up the stick, so I wonder if the episode before the game launches will do that again or not.

Also the gag at the end of episode 2 with Kenny was great. Just having him be one of the kids who died off screen, no big deal out of it, no reference to 'member when we used to kill him off all the time?' Just, yeah, he died off screen, of course he would have.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The two episodes were okay, I guess. I multitasked through some of them because I was a bit bored.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I fell off of watching South Park a while ago. Not because I thought it got bad or anything. I just stopped having a desire to watch it for some reason. I'm really looking forward to playing the new game, though.

I might get around to watching everything I've missed one day.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

As someone who watched it off and on over the years, but really got back into it last year when I got cable after not having it for years...yeah, I still like it. In recent years, I think the PC Principal season was great (and I'm amused when people talk about that season and ONLY see it as a takedown of PC culture--there was a lot more going on in that season). I thought last season was pretty good, but it was apparent after a certain point that the writers did NOT expect a cetrain event to go a certain way. So far, the highlight of this season was that hilarious rendition of HUMBLE.

I thought last week's episode was really weird. Cartman's whole storyline, and the clear parodying of Logic's excellent and powerful VMA performance, just seemed really forced to me. It honestly felt like they were trying too hard, and it was a parody of something that...I dunno, I don't see as very worthy of South Park's particular style of scorn. I'm not saying they "can't" or "shouldn't" make fun of it, I'm just saying that to me, it felt like it was edgy and mean for its own sake, which is honestly something I'd expect from older South Park...or new Family Guy.

I'll keep watching. I'm curious to see where this season goes.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@bladeofcreation said:

As someone who watched it off and on over the years, but really got back into it last year when I got cable after not having it for years...yeah, I still like it. In recent years, I think the PC Principal season was great (and I'm amused when people talk about that season and ONLY see it as a takedown of PC culture--there was a lot more going on in that season). I thought last season was pretty good, but it was apparent after a certain point that the writers did NOT expect a cetrain event to go a certain way. So far, the highlight of this season was that hilarious rendition of HUMBLE.

I thought last week's episode was really weird. Cartman's whole storyline, and the clear parodying of Logic's excellent and powerful VMA performance, just seemed really forced to me. It honestly felt like they were trying too hard, and it was a parody of something that...I dunno, I don't see as very worthy of South Park's particular style of scorn. I'm not saying they "can't" or "shouldn't" make fun of it, I'm just saying that to me, it felt like it was edgy and mean for its own sake, which is honestly something I'd expect from older South Park...or new Family Guy.

I'll keep watching. I'm curious to see where this season goes.

I just didn't see it that way. I thought they used the Logic song / performance as a jumping off point, and in no way were making fun of it. Eric is the problem, taking a serious and important issue and making it all about himself. That's kind of the point, because he's an awful person. Personally, I didn't find it edgy or mean, and I didn't think they were making fun of Logic or his song.

Compare that to how they made fun of Kanye West with the gay fish episode, which CLEARLY was making fun of Kanye, and targeting him and his ego.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Mcfart

@metalbaofu said:

I fell off of watching South Park a while ago. Not because I thought it got bad or anything. I just stopped having a desire to watch it for some reason. I'm really looking forward to playing the new game, though.

South Park is a relic of the 90s just like The Simpsons and Family guy. The creaters of SP, Matt and Trey, said that in retrospect, the writing in seasons 1-4 was bad, but that was when SP was at its peak so...

Only people that watched it growing up might continue to keep up. 2000s kids probably couldn't care less.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@spaceinsomniac: You may be right. Maybe I'll feel a bit differently on a second viewing of this episode. I'm sure it obvious from my comment, but Logic's VMA performance was important to me on a personal level, and that's why I had such strong feelings about this episode. At the same time, it's not fair for me to laugh at the things I find funny about South Park, and then turn around and say, "Well, THIS crosses a line you can't make fun of," which is why I made sure to be clear about that.

I understand that Eric is an awful person, and I certainly don't think he's the singular mouthpiece of the writers or anything like that, but sometimes I wish he'd get his comeuppance more frequently and more severely than he does.

spamfromthecan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, this show is now old enough to drink. And that is crazy.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

It is pretty impressive how long they have managed to stick around with the things that they do. I don't know if you've ever seen '6 Days To Air', the South Park making off documentary, but it is pretty eye opening. At one point this South Park relations and administrations lady is on the phone with the network where she has to explain what the episode contains as South Park does not do pre-screening. They literally make the episode in 6 days and then deliver it to the network within a few hours of when it will air.

She was very professional and it made the conversation that much more hilarious. She was like: 'Yeah, so one of the kids will... shit... in another's mouth and so... - Yeah. That's right. Yes. - No, we don't know for sure yet we'll keep you up to date. - Okay. - Yes, happy thanks giving to you too.'

It's pretty great.

DEmz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

could be better

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BrainScratch

Been enjoying it a lot so far, specially the second episode.

I'm also happy that they went back to having a different story per episode and the type of satire seems to be more like the style they used a couple of seasons ago. The previous season was probably the weakest South Park season so far (still good, but not as good as the rest), so it's good to see they're moving away from it.

poveren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

didnt know it started, thanks

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By donchipotle

I miss the more serial nature of the past few seasons. People like to rag on last season but up until the actual election happened the season seemed to actually be building to going somewhere. Then, well, shit hit the fan. But the two seasons before that were enjoyable and honestly kind of refreshing for South Park structurally. I'm glad they at least have kept stuff going like Tweek and Craig and PC Principal both of which were great things from great seasons. This season has been alright. Second episode definitely better than the first. South Park is still good even if one episode doesn't hit as strongly as another.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First episode was a little weak but I thought the most recent episode was outstanding. Turning the Tweek and Craig relationship from a joke into an actual thing ended up being a really good idea!

@mcfart said:

Only people that watched it growing up might continue to keep up. 2000s kids probably couldn't care less.

I'm a prime example of this, though a few guys I know in their late teens/early 20s are watching this season.

spamfromthecan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:
@spamfromthecan said:

It is pretty impressive how long they have managed to stick around with the things that they do. I don't know if you've ever seen '6 Days To Air', the South Park making off documentary, but it is pretty eye opening. At one point this South Park relations and administrations lady is on the phone with the network where she has to explain what the episode contains as South Park does not do pre-screening. They literally make the episode in 6 days and then deliver it to the network within a few hours of when it will air.

She was very professional and it made the conversation that much more hilarious. She was like: 'Yeah, so one of the kids will... shit... in another's mouth and so... - Yeah. That's right. Yes. - No, we don't know for sure yet we'll keep you up to date. - Okay. - Yes, happy thanks giving to you too.'

It's pretty great.

Yeah I remember watching that when it came out. Whats funny about that, is I used to think this is how all shows were made when I was a kid. Then I grew up and found out that that would be insane to do. So when I watched that I was like, these guys are crazy, and I love it.

I actually fell off South Park for a while, like 10 years. And then about the time that documentary came out I went back and watched everything I missed. Since then I've watched all the new seasons. I still enjoy the show for what it is. But no one I know likes it.

As a side, I also find it hugely impressive the Simpsons are on their 28th, going on 29th season. I haven't watched that in 20 years.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@mcfart said:
@metalbaofu said:

South Park is a relic of the 90s just like The Simpsons and Family guy. The creaters of SP, Matt and Trey, said that in retrospect, the writing in seasons 1-4 was bad, but that was when SP was at its peak so...

I watched it growing up. Even owned a T-shirt with a bunch of Kenny death's on it at one point. Any time I sit down to watch a TV show I just never think of South Park anymore. Just other stuff I would rather watch nowadays, I guess.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcfart said:
@metalbaofu said:

I wouldn't assume that sort of thing. Lots of older shows are being discovered all the time by younger kids. While I'm not really a fan of the TV show Friends, it's gained a large new audience through Netflix who is watching the show for the first time. I'm sure the same is true for South Park on Hulu. Having just checked, under their 'popular' tab, South Park is still on top when it comes to overall television shows streamed on the service, even above newer shows like Bob's Burgers or Rick and Morty.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It is 100% better than last season. Nothing super memorable but it seems like good South Park.