why aren't women hairy?

TheMaxDaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

I know its stupid, but it occurred to me, as I looked at a male character in a cut scene, who had visible body hair. Did Ghai/Sobek and the rest decide that along with all the knowledge that should be passed to the new humans, they should also know that women should shave their 'unsightly' hair?

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

Wasn't this EXACT TOPIC the source of a bullshit GamerGate/Men's Rights-led brouhaha on Twitter? I recall a specific Tweet pointing out small hairs on Aloy's face and saying "THIS GAME IS FEMINIST PROPOGANDA!"

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

It'd be too much work to animate female body hair. Double the animation. Double the assets. The only logical option was to cut female body hair.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

while i'd agree ain't nobody got time to tweeze when a robo t.rex is coming for ya- it's clear that the devs are portraying a world where visual presentation/aesthetic is deeply intentional, AND still draws on historical antecedent (the tenakth salute, for example). so hair removal isn't necessarily ludicrous.

but i'd agree there should be more hairy pits- if only from a utilitarian perspective.

Homeboy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel that with most Videogames. It’s just that. A game. Not real life. So no need for that much detail for Pete’s sake. I’ve beaten Zero Dawn but I won’t play Forbidden West until I beat 3 games I bought. Death Stranding, Guardians of the Galaxy and AC Valhalla which I’m almost done with.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This is really no different than post apocalyptic TV shows or movies where everyone has great well styled hair and seemingly well maintained personal grooming.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

One of the recurring jokes during the run of the television series Spartacus was how everyone had perfect, pearly white, teeth in the time of the Roman Empire, which of course is not realistic. It happens all the time in entertainment. It's not about creating realistic characters, but desirable ones.

vallian88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@av_gamer: I suspect most art direction for mass media sacrifices realism on the alter of beauty.

theonewhoplays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By theonewhoplays

People are still getting shocked - SHOCKED - when they see a female character (a russian soldier) in Metal Gear Solid 2 with hairy armpits you can see in two shots. And that's literally the only time I can recall anything like that happening in a video game.

@homeboy88: Look at any Corridor Digital video or any interview with character designers and CG artists. People LOVE putting intricate details into games. Watch any video of Square-Enix reps discussing their hair tech. Videos of people pouring over all the tiny little details put into models and textures. Trust me when I say the lack of hair is a conscious decisions that has nothing to do with saving time.

Also note how female characters often have so few facial details they can barely emote, so they look 'prettier'. Certain regions do this more than others, but it really sticks out. The way some people freaked out over how Alloy or the female characters in the Last of Us games look further Illustrate this.

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@av_gamer said:

One of the recurring jokes during the run of the television series Spartacus was how everyone had perfect, pearly white, teeth in the time of the Roman Empire, which of course is not realistic. It happens all the time in entertainment. It's not about creating realistic characters, but desirable ones.

I always liked the post-apocalyptic wasteland, where the characters have tattered, dirty clothes; faces smeared with dirt, and pearly white teeth.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Characters shave off-screen when they poop

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, I'm sure you'll come across Aloy's preferred style for pubic hair if you look hard enough.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By bybeach

I don't know if I have really noticed armpit hair for any sex in a video game. But then I just do not look for it, non important. I guess for men there has been hairy chests. Like Snake getting tortured or what-not.

If any one had armpit hair, it would be Aloy though. All fine by me.

I know I am probably ignorant, but I thought arm pit hair and women was more of a U.S. problem, as opposed to European.

And I cannot go a day without washing my hair, because I can look absolutely wild in the morning, not in a good way. And I am a guy.

@dixavd said:

Characters shave off-screen when they poop

Favorite answer.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bybeach said:

I know I am probably ignorant, but I thought arm pit hair and women was more of a U.S. problem, as opposed to European.

Or just incels of any country.

CurseOfTheWise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because incels and other whiners already shrieked about practical armor and women with a slightly pronounced jaw. They don't want to actually alienate assholes and their money.