Xbox 360 Slim Review

padrino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 13

Edited By padrino

I figured I would write up a quick review that does not contain hype since I had to pay for it :)  I've had a number of Xbox models in my time; 4 to be exact. Two were just replacements after RROD. One got repaired but failed just 3 months later. Before the new 250B model I had a hodgepodge system made up of an 2008 arcade unit and an older elite (120G) HDD. Sort of an Oreo cookie 360. Recently, I have been tempted to get a second Xbox so that I could set up for some muli-screen multi-player at home. Once I saw the new 360 and read reviews that confirmed that it was much more quiet, I pulled the trigger. So, after a few days with the latest Xbox, here is the review points...

Is it svelte/pretty?

Well, its about 15% smaller. So the reduced size is not really that big a deal. If you keep your Xbox in a tight space, it may help but its generally just a bit smaller. But its much more sleek looking with the internal HDD. It looks more like a piece of home theater than a toy.  Its glossy and matches many flat pannel TVs which also looks better. As far as finger prints, unless you often lug it around from home to home, that is a non-issue.

Is is quiet?

Here is the best new feature, major reduction of noise.  Two small/fast fans have been replaced with one larger/slower fan. This definitely reduces the noise. Its very similar in sound level as the PS3 slim. The power brick fan also has a very low hum but also very quiet. In fact, when the DVD is not spinning I usually don't know if its on or off. Kudos to Microsoft for finally fixing this issue. When spinning, the DVD is noticeable but I would guess about 1/2 as loud (-6db) as my last Xbox 360. And with the 250Gb HDD, you can install lots of games and almost never have to hear the DVD.

New Features and Issues?

New integrated WiFi (N-Band) is a welcome addition for many users and makes it WiFi future proof once N-band is more standard.  Larger HDD of course allows you to keep more games installed and not worry about removing things. Two very minor issues from the new design come to mind. I don't like the position of the eject touch button. Its too small and in a more awkward position than before. Not sure why they did this? That being said, the new touch buttons are great in general. Both are very easy to activate (unlike the orig PS3) and have a nice beep to tell you when they have been hit. The only other issue I came across was that some USB keys do not fit into the front trap-door access port. Some will hit the door and the USB opening almost seem off-center. But probably only 2% of USB keys will have an issue.  

Conclusion

Overall, the new design is better in a number of ways and includes WiFi, larger HDD. Whats not to like.  As far as reliability, the answer to that question will have to wait but there is no reason to expect it to be less reliable and good reason to expect it to be more reliable. With the single heat sink, smaller chips, and less power (which means less heat), its likely it will be even more reliable than recent models. I think they did a great job with the refresh of the design. Of course Microsoft should be hung out to dry for the poor quality of early 360 revisions but this new edition may just hold up. While there is no real need to upgrade, other than piece and quiet, its nice to have this better design moving forward.
padrino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By padrino

I figured I would write up a quick review that does not contain hype since I had to pay for it :)  I've had a number of Xbox models in my time; 4 to be exact. Two were just replacements after RROD. One got repaired but failed just 3 months later. Before the new 250B model I had a hodgepodge system made up of an 2008 arcade unit and an older elite (120G) HDD. Sort of an Oreo cookie 360. Recently, I have been tempted to get a second Xbox so that I could set up for some muli-screen multi-player at home. Once I saw the new 360 and read reviews that confirmed that it was much more quiet, I pulled the trigger. So, after a few days with the latest Xbox, here is the review points...

Is it svelte/pretty?

Well, its about 15% smaller. So the reduced size is not really that big a deal. If you keep your Xbox in a tight space, it may help but its generally just a bit smaller. But its much more sleek looking with the internal HDD. It looks more like a piece of home theater than a toy.  Its glossy and matches many flat pannel TVs which also looks better. As far as finger prints, unless you often lug it around from home to home, that is a non-issue.

Is is quiet?

Here is the best new feature, major reduction of noise.  Two small/fast fans have been replaced with one larger/slower fan. This definitely reduces the noise. Its very similar in sound level as the PS3 slim. The power brick fan also has a very low hum but also very quiet. In fact, when the DVD is not spinning I usually don't know if its on or off. Kudos to Microsoft for finally fixing this issue. When spinning, the DVD is noticeable but I would guess about 1/2 as loud (-6db) as my last Xbox 360. And with the 250Gb HDD, you can install lots of games and almost never have to hear the DVD.

New Features and Issues?

New integrated WiFi (N-Band) is a welcome addition for many users and makes it WiFi future proof once N-band is more standard.  Larger HDD of course allows you to keep more games installed and not worry about removing things. Two very minor issues from the new design come to mind. I don't like the position of the eject touch button. Its too small and in a more awkward position than before. Not sure why they did this? That being said, the new touch buttons are great in general. Both are very easy to activate (unlike the orig PS3) and have a nice beep to tell you when they have been hit. The only other issue I came across was that some USB keys do not fit into the front trap-door access port. Some will hit the door and the USB opening almost seem off-center. But probably only 2% of USB keys will have an issue.  

Conclusion

Overall, the new design is better in a number of ways and includes WiFi, larger HDD. Whats not to like.  As far as reliability, the answer to that question will have to wait but there is no reason to expect it to be less reliable and good reason to expect it to be more reliable. With the single heat sink, smaller chips, and less power (which means less heat), its likely it will be even more reliable than recent models. I think they did a great job with the refresh of the design. Of course Microsoft should be hung out to dry for the poor quality of early 360 revisions but this new edition may just hold up. While there is no real need to upgrade, other than piece and quiet, its nice to have this better design moving forward.
Somadude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Somadude

To me the 250g HDD is the best part of the slim. but yeah, its quite good overall.

maxim2boobles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By maxim2boobles

great review. you should pick up the console while the disk is spinning to do the destructoid test