When was the last time you upgraded your gaming TV?

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Ahoy hoy duders,

How often do you guys typically upgrade your tellys? I was just casually looking today at 50 inch 4K TV's and the price has dropped a LOT these days.

I remember upgrading my old TV for a 4K TV for Red Dead Redemption 2. I bought a PS4 Pro and RDR to experience 4K in, and it looks stunning.

I paid £335 for it back whenever RDR2 came out, so it's been that long. I'm very, very tempted to get a 50 inch TV, especially as you can get them for as little as 300£ nowadays

I'd love to hear how you guys feel about upgrading TV's

(Rorie, you are banned from talking about your super widescreen monitors in here! :P)

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

October. I'd already broke the remote for my old one and the buttons on the side were not always responding. So I got a cheap 43" HiSense for £225. I thought 50" would be too much but it'd easily fit where I'm set up.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

12 years ago. I am still using a 32" Samsung 1080p LCD. I don't see a point in upgrading until OLED is affordable.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, that was my old one. I dug it out so I could watch World Cup games whilst working. Coincidentally it also has been going for 12+ years. A true workhorse.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

In 2019, I bought a 65" 4k tv (before that I was using a 50" plasma I bought in 2008). In 2022, I bought a 70" 4k tv and moved the 65" about 5 feet to the right to replace the plasma.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6  Edited By Nodima

When I got a PS5 last summer. I got a pretty straight forward TCL Roku with HDR and 4K and all that and it’s cool as hell…but when the money train in my neck of the service industry woods didn’t stop rolling like I thought it would, I’ve begun to regret not going full OLED a little bit even if that’s have fully bankrupted me at the time.

I do love waiting forever to make the change though. I played almost all of the PS3 generation over S video and component cables on a 480i CRT, then most of the PS4 era on the 720p LG I’d been donated by my dad at the end of the PS4 era.

This was the first time in my life I’m pretty much at parity on console/TV modernity and it’s a little odd sometimes to think I’ve pretty much maxed out what I can get out of this console already.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I mostly game on PC. Last year, I bought an Alienware AW3423DW and it is absolutely incredible to look at. I love it.

A few years ago I bought a 4K TV for the living room. It's not an OLED or anything, but it does do HDR and looks quite nice. As you might expect, it gets primarily used for console gaming. I don't remember exactly what kind of TV it is and I'm too lazy to go in there and look right now.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By AV_Gamer

For me it was early 2019. I got the 55 inch 2018 TCL Series 6 Roku television, which was considered a great performance to price ratio at the time and it was cheaper, because it was a year old. The television is pretty good for gaming at 60fps. It only lacks the ability to do VRR and 120fps, because it uses 2.0 HDMI and not 2.1 HDMI, which many high end television started getting in 2019 onward. But games run pretty smooth, the 4K resolution is nice, and the HDR is solid. I might upgrade next year, or the year after. But as long as the television is performing like it should, I'm not in a rush. Besides, if I want to experience a PS5 game with VRR and 120fps bad enough for example, I can just hook it up to my 27 inch 1440p gaming monitor that has all the bells and whistles, including decent HDR, something most monitors struggle with.

Avatar image for atheistpreacher
AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kinda never?

I'd had an old-style projection TV until 2009, when I moved from Chicago to Claremont for grad school. It was going to be cheaper to leave that TV there with my roommates and buy a new one than ship it my new home, so that's what I did. When I arrived in Claremont, I bought the cheapest 1080p TV I could find that was a reasonable size... which turned out to be a Vizio that's... 37 inches? Not actually sure. I remember that the box had a picture of Hannah Storm on the front.

Almost fourteen years later, I'm still using it, and plan to until it just doesn't work anymore. No doubt my next TV will be 4K, but I'm in no rush to get there. An old 1080p is fine by me.

styx971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

not often , i had the same borrowed 80s push button tv i got from my grandmother 2005? till we moved to GA , a pawn shop tv for a couple years till 07 when my father got me a 32inch flat screen sanyo ,.. i used that till 2014 when i wanted more hdmi ports so i got another sanyo that i used till i wanted 4k around when RDR2 came out i had just gotten a better gpu so i wanted to take advantage of it ... i hated said LG tv tho the colors were pretty off imo so when stimulus checks happened i got myself my current samsung tv .. its pretty good imo does 4k 120hz and had 4 hdmi ports so with it being my pc monitor i'm pretty happy , and all the console stuff looks good on it too.

Avatar image for spacemanspiff00
spacemanspiff00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By spacemanspiff00

I upgraded to a 65 inch LG C8 OLED in 2018 after my old 47inch LG LED suffered a power surge and broke the motherboard. I wanted to replace the mobo cause it was like a 100 bucks but the TV was too old and no one had the board in stock. So I did what I said I would do if my TV broke and got a 4K set. I wasn't originally gonna go OLED and it did cost me a pretty penny in maple bucks. I see it as an investment and I use it all the time. The only thing that sucks is that the following year LG put gaming specific features into the C9 and that kinda chapped my ass. I'll likely ride this panel for as long as I can. I seemed to get a winner of a panel as well considering I haven't had any of the common OLED issues.

To anyone looking into buying a new TV, do your research and then wait for decent sales. One thing that I would recommend, depending on how deep you want to go, is how new the hardware is in the TV you want. When I bought my TV it was new hardware. Wish I waited a year or 2. Another one these days, even if its not heavily supported yet, is HDMI 2.1. There's plenty of great youtube vids out there if you want to go ham on features to look for and buying guides. Another quick tip if you want to get something fancy for cheaper is check out the used market for brand new sets or year olds. There are a lot of folks who upgrade regularly and sell their old one as well as reviewers who get a panel to check it out then flip it afterwards.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Upgraded to OLED when Returnal originally launched, which was the perfect game to convince me that I'd made a good choice. I mean, it wasn't something I needed to do, but dang that thing makes games look pretty. I had a 4K one for about four years before that and a very cheap 1080p before that for maybe 7-8 years or more?

Unless my current tv breaks, I become filthy rich or something as unlikely happens, I'm pretty sure that I'll be rocking my OLED for a long time.

daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 12

5 or so years ago, I got rid of my CRT and got this 32" Toshiba LCD screen. It was the only model left that still ran a coaxial input that I need for my Master System.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I bought the tv I have now after someone threw the remote through the screen of my last tv. It's only the second tv I've ever purchased, and probably wouldn't have if the old tv didn't have a hole in it. It's some sort of TCL 4K QLED. 2019, I think, going by the model number. I don't remember if I bought it that year or not.

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By tartyron

Two years ago. Working a ton of overtime to pick up the slack at work during the worst of the pandemic, I saved enough to get a fancy LG OLED CX 55” for about $1300. It’s frankly my last TV upgrade until it dies, because it’s really quite pretty, the HDR is actually noticeable and nice, the 120fps is nice when I play games my PC can pull it off for, and the G-Sync helps with pushing those frames. And I got the recommendation from the Bombcast talking about it. I personally think it was worth it, but it is a lot of money. Because of that, I sometimes get nervous when I have folks over to practice improv, because of the jumping around and flailing sometimes gets dangerously close to whacking it or knocking it over by mistake.

I have thought about getting a CRT because of some of how cool it can look for modern games with that screen bleed and glow, but CRTs are priced off the charts for something I’d only use sometimes.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still using an HDTV i got in 2006, except i haven't turned it on in years because i use my PC all the time... i did buy a CRT in 2019 so i could play Time Crisis again.

God knows how old this PC monitor is.

Ryman86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I got a small CRT used for about 6 years, then in my final year of college I bought a small 720P television, used that for about 8 years, then I got a hand-me-down 1080P television about 4 years ago. Gonna keep using that one until I get a bigger place than can justify a bigger screen. I don't really game that much on my TV, so I don't really feel the need to upgrade.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By vortextk

I had been listening to GB talk about their LG oleds through out the mid 2010s and when the 2019 oled model came out with hdmi 2.1 leading the way for gsync and 120hz/fps, it was my ticket. Still using that lg c9 65" today. It's hooked up to my PC and whatever current consoles I'm on.