What's a good <$30 Switch game for a 9 year old?

SheldonMenez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

My S/O has a 9-year-old niece who has a Switch and likes it. My S/O wants to get her a Switch game for Christmas. Her family also does somewhat strict price caps for gifts, and this year the price cap is set at $30.

It's been a long time since either of us were 9 years old, so we don't really know what a 9 year old would like, games-wise. Here's what we do know: she likes puzzles and puzzle-style games. She already has Minecraft on the PC and doesn't care for it much. It doesn't have to be a physical game, we can put a gift card code in a Christmas card. And that's all we have to go off of.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Puyo Puyo Tetris

Battlechef Brigade

Wandersong

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

As a 9 year old, I liked Contra, so Blazing Chrome.

Wait, puzzles. Umm... Monster Boy? It's a sidescroller game with a ton of puzzle solving. Not sure if she'd be into the more fast paced platforming bits, though. I would've said Hollow Knight but those boss battles can be tough, too.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By BisonHero

BoxBoy! + BoxGirl!

It’s a fun little puzzle platformer, which I think has just the right amount of difficulty and cute characters for a 9-year-old. There is a quick look on the site. I believe it is $10 USD, which is honestly kind of a steal. The story is pretty minimal, and told wordlessly, so I’m not sure if that’s a plus or a minus depending on how verbose she wants her games to be.

I’d like to recommend Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker for almost the same set of reasons, but that game just costs too much dang money. Wish it was $20-$25, instead of whatever it actually is ($35-$40, I think).

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I don't know if these games manage to end up below the 30$ limit, but i'm thinking about

• Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
  • Snipperclips
  • Untitled Goose Game
  • Layton's Mystery Journey
  • Pikuniku
  • Katamari Damacy Reroll
  • Unravel 2
BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

God, it’s a sorry state of affairs when a halfway interesting new thread is actually just some kind of bot making a new account and stealing a post from the much more vibrant Giant Bomb subreddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/giantbomb/comments/e54z5t/whats_a_good_30_switch_game_for_a_9_year_old/

Why do I ever trust threads created by usernames that are [FirstnameLastname] with 2 posts?

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@bisonhero: Man... i'm dissapointed in myself. All the new bots have this name pattern indeed.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

Any LEGO Switch games on Amazon,

LEGO The Incredibles is $20 right now

Lego City Undercover

Lego Ninjago is not on prime pricing right now, but just about $35

If you look into Lego DC Villains a little closer, you’ll see it from Amazon seller for $29.83 on prime shipping. Anyway, DC Villains is arguably the prettiest one since it’s newer, but ah they’re all good.

Lego Jurassic World is only available from 3rd party for $42, wow.

Lego Movie 2 game is kinda the same deal

Lego Marvel Superheroes 2 is 28.99 from Amazon seller prime.

And ahm I saw Spyro Trilogy advertised on Switch for a solid $35, so there’s that.

Minecraft

😊

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Bollard

Rocket League.

EDIT: Should have read the whole thread, huh.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

If you’re looking for affordable puzzle games I’d say Untitled Goose Game, Battle Chef Brigade (it’s a puzzle/beat em’ up hybrid), Gorogoa and Baba is You. Though Baba can get pretty hard early on despite its cute looks.

I also second Wandersong! It’s a Rhythm/adventure game hybrid that has some clever puzzles tied to the singing mechanic. The art style and writing is also charming and I’d say is age appropriate.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#11  Edited By Mento  Moderator

@bisonhero: Banned the bot but I'll keep this thread open in case that Reddit OP (or some other parent of a young puzzle fan) stops by.