What was the best GOTY debate for #1 vs #2 slot

Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll What was the best GOTY debate for #1 vs #2 slot (106 votes)

Mass effect 2 -2010 8%
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 2011 61%
XCOM: Enemy Unknown-2012 1%
The Last of Us-2013 1%
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor-2014 1%
Super Mario Maker-2015 8%
Hitman-2016 11%
PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds-2017 5%
Tetris Effect-2018 0%
Outer Wilds-2019 4%
Hades-2020 0%

Always thought the final battle for the number one spot at Giantbomb was exciting since the two games are often great and different in merits. The past decade or so had some hefty debates. Which would you consider was the best for you, be it good arguments, interesting games, big upsets, etc.

Personally enjoyed the Mass effect and Skyrim debates given the hindsight of what those games are today and what the team expected of a sequel. Shadows of Mordor was surprising given how most don't like it as much today after the sequel. PUBG was weakest for me given there was little debate with the sure-fire winner, and again hindsight made that game redundant with all the new improved BR games, which you could see coming a mile away. The game at the time seemed buggy for me and could easily be improved on by Call of duty or any other company.

• 
Avatar image for senorsucks2suck
senorsucks2suck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

You might want to label the #1 and #2. I listened to them all but can’t be bothered to do the research.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

It can only be Skyrim and SR3. That was goty at its best. Also out of the poll options its the only one where I can remember what the #2 was.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By liquiddragon

I was about to say MGS4 vs. GTA4 cuz everyone at the table played a lot of both or Uncharted 2 vs. Arkham Asylum. Don't remember much debate against Mass Effect 2 on this site.

cyborgx7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uncharted 2 vs. Arkham Asylum but that is not on the list.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I hate the debates about #2 and #1, because it really just is about bullying and wearing the other side down. For better or worse the " GB team" is full of 'strong' and 'don't give a ____k" personalities, so that outcome is always just one sides says, "Can we leave now? Can this just be done? Done not because you are right, but because I'm really starting to tire of your BS."

lylebot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate the debates about #2 and #1, because it really just is about bullying and wearing the other side down. For better or worse the " GB team" is full of 'strong' and 'don't give a ____k" personalities, so that outcome is always just one sides says, "Can we leave now? Can this just be done? Done not because you are right, but because I'm really starting to tire of your BS."

Au contraire, some of these debates are great precisely because Brad is normally so far on the "don't give a ___k" side that when his strong opinion side comes out it's like a great mythical beast awakening and taking flight. MGS4 vs GTA4 and Skyrm vs SR3 are the two that immediately jumped to mind when I saw the poll question.

Avatar image for lapsariangiraff
lapsariangiraff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Of these, I'd pick 2011.

That being said, the right answer is 2008 or 2009. A smaller crew that have all played the same things, and the two games in contention are actually toe to toe, unlike a lot of later years which are blowouts.

johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2011 is the only actual answer. Some of the others have been good, but so many great jokes and moments came out of the 2011 fight. To this day I feel the greatest fuck you Ryan Davis ever delivered was the heel turn on Saints Row to Skyrim. Thing of absolute beauty that killed the rightful winner.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

That SR3 vs Skyrim debate was a bit of a legend for quite a while.

Fortunately, Ryan Davis saw reason and voted for the correct game.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

No GTA IV/MGS4? that was my favorite.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By Mezmero

Going mostly from memory:

• 2008 GTAIV over Metal Gear Solid 4 with the dark horse Dead Space
  • 2009 Uncharted 2 over Batman: Arkham Asylum
  • 2010 Mass Effect 2's closest competition was Red Dead Redemption
  • 2011 Skyrim over Saints Row The Third
  • 2012 XCOM over Walking Dead Season 1
  • 2013 Last of Us over Link Between Worlds.
  • 2014 Shadow of Mordor over Bayonetta 2
  • 2015 Mario Maker over Metal Gear Solid Vee, Rocket League had a strong consensus
  • 2016 Hitman over Doom
  • 2017 PUBG full stop. NieR Automata fought bravely, Mario and Zelda had a strong consensus.
  • 2018 Tetris Effect won with a consensus over RDR2 I think ... er Dead Cells I guess.
  • 2019 Outer Wilds over Control.
  • 2020 Hades with a bullet.

Looking over this, 2011 is indeed a strong one but I might actually go with 2016. Such a bizarre pair of game franchises to have suddenly been propelled to stardom once again and yet it felt like they could have chose either one and not been horribly wrong. Although I found bringing Doom's multiplayer into the equation was a strange detail to get hung up on I personally was won over by the strong cases made for Hitman by the end.

Nuttism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Nuttism

@mezmero: It was actually Tetris Effect vs. Dead Cells in 2018 (Dan negativity kept RDR 2 out contention). I personally thought it was a really weak discussion as Abby was the only one who even tried to push for Dead Cells, and she wasn't a fan of either game. It was one of those years where the only people passionate about the #2 game were even bigger fans of the #1 game (except for Jason). They never really put forward a good case for why Tetris Effect deserved to win over Dead Cells. It was similar in 2017, with Abby again the only one questioning the #1 spot.

I agree with you on 2016 though. That was a great 1 vs. 2 discussion with no blowout either way and a lot of good thoughts on both games (though I agree that some of the arguments were a bit strange).

2015 was just a really weird year. Them cutting both HM2:WN and Undertale from the best music category still hurts.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

2011 is by far the most contentious, other years aren't even close in my memory. Peak entertainment!

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@nuttism: Oh yeah. You'll forgive me for my memory getting shakier the closer to modern day it gets. Biggest crime that year to me was the amount of ambivalence towards Into the Breach but hey no use opening old wounds.

Avatar image for senorsucks2suck
senorsucks2suck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Pubg was the obvious choice for that year. Twitch came into its own because of it. Fortnite owes everything to that game. Can’t give Hades a shot until it hits non-Nintendo consoles. I was hoping the Xbox indie showcase would have that game drop into gamepass. I’m so glad games like Animal Crossong don’t get the top spot because that Call of Duty and others just don’t change enough and just because you are new to the series doesn’t make it relevant.