What does a "won" by us JoyCon class action suit look like?

Avatar image for senorsucks2suck
senorsucks2suck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By senorsucks2suck

So I'm on the verge of buying a Switch. I'm traveling more for work and I can't count on hotel TVs allowing hdmi access so Xbox and PS5 are out) I'm waiting for some class action stuff to come out. Think: If i could just start using PSN on April 17th 2011 (Great PSN Hack) and get my personal information hacked on PSN I could get inFamous for free making a foible quite fun and lucrative.

So the Joycons are a mess. Have always been a mess. They are acknowledged by Nintendo as a mess. But they have yet to face any government consequence. Everybody is quite content and happy despite the Joycon drift, but this won't last. I'm wondering what they will do when it comes time to replace joycons. What will Switch Lite users get? How many free nintendo games and gold coins do i get? Ambassador program? Price drop? I'm trying to time this.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

3 bucks.

The only "win" I can remember was the PS3 Linux fiasco (https://www.cnet.com/how-to/ps3-other-os-settlement-claim-how-to/), and it netted everyone affected $65. That being said there's usually a ruling on these things where you have to have purchased the faulty product within a certain time frame (for the PS3 that meant actually owning one that could run Linux originally). If you get in now you're probably getting sweet nothing.

senorsucks2suck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard: Well if they announce some kind of compensation. I would probably buy one in the store same day. It's like going out to buy Cyberpunk once they announce refunds were becoming available. I guess I want to hear more about what you want. 2 Free Joycons? $60 in eshop credit? Etc.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4 bigsocrates  Online

It's really impossible to say at this point what it will or won't look like. It's unclear what the compensation would be, whether it will be for all Switch owners or only those who have experienced Joycon drift, what the purchase cutoff will be etc...

It seems likely that it would include some kind of free repair for any Joycons that experience drift but who knows.

I would not plan my purchase decision around it. For one thing who knows how long it will be. For another it's totally unclear what it will be. If you're super worried about the drift issue and just want to wait until it seems resolved that makes sense, but the lawsuit is such an extreme unknown I wouldn't factor it in.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As with any widespread class action lawsuit: the only form of compensation will be the choice between a "free" coupon for something in store and MAYBE a buck or two for each joycon set where you have the receipt. Usually the former ends up being the better deal but, knowing Nintendo, it will be invalid in the Switch U store. Oh, and don't forget a bunch of lawyers will make bank

That being said: The actual benefit would be if Nintendo change the design for the analog sticks. From teardowns and experimentation with my own jacked up ones, the issue is that the dust flap is too flimsy (the fact that you can squirt contact cleaner in without taking apart the joycons is a big red flag). A solution that still allows for the thin formfactor without relying on the "not actually an analog stick" of the psp (and vita? (and 3ds?)) is going to cost money and... Nintendo doesn't like spending money on R&D that they don't have to.

So.... yeah. The most likely outcome of a "win" is an extra premium on the switch U to take into account the next class action lawsuit.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

A 'win' is them fundamentally fixing the design flaw, and replacing all impacted models (not just doing a swap of parts with the same flawed sticks).

I don't see that happening, though.

NameRedacted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's a "Win" look like?

A team of already well-off lawyers make MILLIONS in fees or awards, while members of the class individually receive "peanuts," i.e. a couple bucks tossed their way and or Nintendo has to fix or replace defective joycons for free; plus fleeting public humiliation for Nintendo.

But then Nintendo could simply / literally shit in a box, slap a "Mario" or "Zelda" sticker on the front and sell tens of millions of copies, more than recouping whatever they lost.

senorsucks2suck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nameredacted: Pretty much nailed it. I really want some of those 3rd party Nintendo controllers, they look sweet so I probably wouldn't play my Switch with JoyCons enough to experience the drift. But perception will be reality and I'm not trying to live like that. Also, I don't like the dinky little flap they have for games. It seems cheap.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want a go on the Mario Rollercoaster.