Top Ten Earners in Free 2 Play (Average per Player)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

Copy and paste from superdataresearch.com's blog. Really puts the whole free 2 play business into perspective. Many of these games have yearly revenue streams worth over a billion bucks. Like that Crossfire game I've never heard of. It's a free 2 play shooter predominantly successful in Asia. It makes over a billion bucks a year. Say what?!

Guild Wars 2 being so high up there, despite having a completely non-intrusive microtransaction scheme, is pretty damn impressive. In fact, it's the only free 2 play MMORPG making the list. Really shows how far a good product and a smartly designed economy can go. All they pretty much did was making the MMORPG they wanted to make, and elegantly working in the IRL goldfarming market into the in-game economy directly - and guess what, they're super-successful with it.

If only Zenimax would have watched and learned. On the other hand, NCsoft went right ahead and combined GW2's take on monetization with the oldschool subscription model for Wildstar, by allowing players to pay their subscription fee with in-game currency. I doubt that'll work out in their favor. I for one won't even be playing the game, because I'm unwilling to pay a subscription outright. Oh well, hustler's gotta hustle - I don't blame 'em for trying.

Here’s an idea: people vote with their dollars. In the traditional retail market this meant that the game with most boxed sold, generally speaking, was the most popular one. But now that free-to-play games are a standard in the games market, the underlying economics are a lot less obvious.

Spending ranges differ, even within the same genre

If we compare Team Fortress 2, Planetside 2, Combat Arms and Crossfire, we immediately notice that spending per player can differ wildly. In our example here, the MMO ARPU ranges from a low of $1.58 to a high of $4.50. Specifically, Western publishers tend to try and maximize the value per user. Of course, so do Asian publishers. But these companies operate in a vastly different market, where broadband is abundant (Korea) and disposable income and PC ownership are not. A big part of the success that Nexon and SmileGate enjoy comes from their expertise in regular in-game offerings and ongoing specials, and helps to offset the relatively low conversion rate.

DotA2 and League of Legends, arguably the two most visible titles in the MOBA genre, are close in terms of average revenue per user. But it’s important to keep in mind that for every DotA2 player there are nine people playing League of Legends. Because it’s slightly less accessible, DotA2 has more ‘core’ gamers as its audience, which translates into 20% higher spending per user.

No Caption Provided

Quantity versus quality

It is somewhat of a loaded strategic question: do you target a large audience and aim for low conversion rates and spending, or do you go after die-hard fans and hope to make more per user. In the current free-to-play market two dominating titles show different answers to that question. There’s World of Tanks, which has a monthly active user base of around 9.1 million and makes $4.51 per month per user. And there’s League of Legends, with 58.5 million average monthly actives over the past twelve months, and a $1.32 spend per user. Five times the audience, but less than third of the earnings per player.

With an average revenue per user of $1.58, mammoth earner Crossfire, which generated over a billion in revenue last year, clearly relies on attracting a large crowd. The game has well over 50 million monthly active players. Nexon’s Combat Arms, counts approximately 1.6 million monthly actives but makes almost double the amount per user ($2.81).

Shooter games earn more per user than MOBAs

Despite the recent trend toward so-called MOBAs, we see a distinct difference in earnings per player within even a single company. Take Valve. Despite being on the same digital platform (Steam) and likely relying on the same in-house experience with regards to sales tactics, Team Fortress 2 earns almost three times more per player than DotA2. One explanation is the growing trend toward user-generated content: letting players share in the riches stimulates both the production of and demand for in-game items.

Things to keep in mind

The average revenue per user can vary drastically, even within a single game’s user base, from one geography to the next. Generally speaking, successful titles are those that develop and localize their game to accommodate specific markets. This entails everything from setting up local servers to reduce latency to offering country-specific payment methods and customer support.

You must deduct the cost of acquiring a player from their spend. The cost per install for free-to-play MMOs has been consistently going up, as the market has started to mature. Last month the average cost per install for a free-to-play MMO in the US was about $8 dollars. Having a clear sense of marketing cost helps build a user base more effectively.

Focus on user experience, not revenue. Sure, we’ve all heard the arguments about the exploitative aspects for free-to-play. But if it all it ever did was suck the life out of customers, there would be none. Instead, we see an audience of dedicated gamers growing across genres. Take your audience serious by providing a rewarding experience, and they will reward you in turn.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

When did Guild Wars 2 turn free-to-play?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Seppli

@audiobusting said:

It's not. Respectively it always has been. In-game, you can convert in-game gold into gems. Gems are the currency of the cash shop. Players can buy gems for IRL-cash. They can also convert gems into in-game gold. The exchange rate is determined by how much gold is spent on buying gems.

Things like bank and bag and character slots are sold in the gem shop. Personally, I've unlocked everything I wanted with in-game gold, and it felt like the natural progression of things. No free 2 play style grinding involved. ArenaNet really knocked it out of the park with that.

In a way, all the players exchanging in-game gold for gems are Arenanet's hired goldfarmers.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Does it belong there since it has a buy in though? All those other titles I can go make free accounts for and start playing them for free right now. I can't play Guild Wars without making an initial investment.

Surprised to see TF2 so high. I didn't think it sold that many hats.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

This is a weird list for a group titled "free-to-play MMO titles." Only two of these (to my knowledge) are actually MMOs; the rest are games with large, active communities that play games match by match.

But I digress. It's interesting to see that the average revenue per user is so low, yet these games still make oodles of money. The number of users must be so astronomically high that even a buck or two per player is still billions of dollars.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Guild Wars 2 isn't free to play. If this is an article about games with microtransactions fair enough, but calling GW2 (a game sold like any other boxed game with micro transactions, i.e. Mass Effect or Fifa), is disingenuous.

Weirdly it's also one of only two games I've ever spent money on microtransactions in.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Regarding the difference between TF2 and Dota 2 I think one of the significant difference regarding revenue per player is time. TF2 has had cosmetic items in the game longer than Dota 2 have been publicly available. I think it would be interesting to see how revenue per player has grown in TF2 vs Dota 2 instead as they're on completely different time tables and player investment.

Still, the money a lot of free to play games make simply by virtue of a lot of people spending very little is pretty impressive. Though not sure I am comfortable with realizing how much more than the average I spend.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I imagine there are a lot of shooters who aren't doing nearly as well as the ones on this list, but its crazy how much they dominate this list. I would have expected LoL to get more per user given how many incentives it has to spending money (such as characters).

Although I imagine LoL is still higher revenue than most, if not all, those games save maybe world of tanks.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I hear almost no one ever talk about World of Tanks, so it's kinda crazy how popular it actually is. Also, I'm surprised LoL isn't higher on this list.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@steadyingmeat: Doesn't LOL have the highest user base of all those games? The list is the ranking of the average spent per player in the player base. LOL has 67 million players while DOTA 2 has maybe 7-8 million(?). So it only makes sense that LOL with it's rather small priced microtransactions and larger player base, many of whom would contribute $0 a month would be bottom of that chart.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I was sad to see that Warframe isn't on this list. I have to think those guys are doing well for themselves.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SomeJerk

War Thunder is pretty tasteful with its F2P model. Investing money in it will speed up the grind, which for new accounts and players is absolutely fine compared to other games, buy you Crew Points for stronger pilots/gunners/ground crew, or get you a not always unique Premium plane, with most Premium planes being a way for one country to fly planes from another. That doesn't stop insane people from blindly pouring money into it to rush to jet aircraft, something that costs over $400 to do. A scary amount of players on the PS4 version (November 29th 2013) did just that.

It's also a fine-ass game soon launching the ground forces (tanks!) in open beta. Just stay off the now-gimped PS4 version unless they fix the issues in the supposedly due this month patch.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Your title is slightly misleading. Just throwing that out there.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By xyzygy

I think they're counting GW2 because it's different than other MMOs where it was created to be playable forever without a subscription, yet still has the high quality of one. You buy the game once and you are free to play the game to your hearts content until forever or the servers shut down. That's a game with a changing story, constant updates, active user base, etc.

I think that's actually quite impressive for Arenanet, considering you can do pretty much everything in that game without having to pay an extra cent after you buy it.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Massively Multiplayer Online.

While technically free-to-play can cover everything without a subscription model (from boxed retail games to Farmville), calling 5-on-5 MOBAs "Massively" is a terrible stretch. Not to say that gaming jargon tends to become absolutely meaningless, but this is a bit much.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By EXTomar

@jesus_phish said:

@steadyingmeat: Doesn't LOL have the highest user base of all those games? The list is the ranking of the average spent per player in the player base. LOL has 67 million players while DOTA 2 has maybe 7-8 million(?). So it only makes sense that LOL with it's rather small priced microtransactions and larger player base, many of whom would contribute $0 a month would be bottom of that chart.

The way LOL has a fragmented server system inflates the number of their user base so who really knows. It should also be noted that the way Riot monetizes LoL isn't "optimal" compared to even Team Fortress 2 let alone the smaller but direct competitor Dota 2 so I'm not surprised at all.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By spraynardtatum

WHY IS GUILD WARS 2 ON HERE?

Did they drop the $59.99 price tag or something? How on earth is a $60 game free to play? That is literally the opposite of free-to-play.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does this include game owners that don't play? If it does then League of Legends and especially Team Fortress 2 are doing far better than this list suggests. Over their years of existence, they've likely accrued thousands if not millions of dead accounts from people who tried and didnt keep playing. These accounts drag down the averages.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By BisonHero

@corvak: I've always assumed ARPU must only take into account users that played the game at least once that year or something. Because yeah, otherwise old games would have totally boned ARPU values because of all the accounts that are neither paying for thing nor playing for free. Those inactive accounts are indicative of like, sorta how many users you've lost, but not useful data for calculating revenue figures involving your current user base.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By EXTomar

Active players in LoL need to have multiple accounts to play in other regions. I would never put too much emphasis into "player numbers" as much as how many purchases and how much they are making.

There are definitely less people playing TF2 and Dota 2 than LoL but they may make more per player for a couple of (guess/suspected) reasons:

- Marketplace: Sanctioned marketplace that allow players to sell and buy items left and right for TF2 and Dota 2 which adds into "Average per User". The way crafting works on TF2 and the way you get items for even watching games in Dota 2 also contributes to a lesser extent.

- Simply put, the games are geared so the player will collect chests/creates to open let alone items they could ever use. I'd have to look but I have a bunch of chests I could open in Dota 2 but do not for multiple reasons. If I won the lottery and opened them all for cheap or free, playing a few weeks will put me back into the same place where I have more chests than I want to open. I'm constantly getting rid of them and constantly getting new items and getting new chests. All of those transactions are adding a little to Valve's bank let alone if anyone actually wants to open the box in the end.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By Justin258

@seppli said:

@audiobusting said:

It's not. Respectively it always has been. In-game, you can convert in-game gold into gems. Gems are the currency of the cash shop. Players can buy gems for IRL-cash. They can also convert gems into in-game gold. The exchange rate is determined by how much gold is spent on buying gems.

Things like bank and bag and character slots are sold in the gem shop. Personally, I've unlocked everything I wanted with in-game gold, and it felt like the natural progression of things. No free 2 play style grinding involved. ArenaNet really knocked it out of the park with that.

In a way, all the players exchanging in-game gold for gems are Arenanet's hired goldfarmers.

I think he's asking, why is Guild Wars 2 considered a free to play game when you have to pay $60 to play it?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Seppli

@believer258 said:

@seppli said:

@audiobusting said:

I think he's asking, why is Guild Wars 2 considered a free to play game when you have to pay $60 to play it?

I think they're just tracking it because of the way they operate the game, substituting subscriptions with what they do, so while it technically isn't a free 2 play game, it operates with a free 2 play like economy to support its on-going operation, and as such delivers pertinent information to the investors this company is trying to inform.

I suppose lots of investors don't give a crap about games, just about the money they can make investing in it. I guess for some reason, the terminology of F2P MMO stuck, even if most of these games aren't really MMOs - so it's only fair that some games that aren't really F2P do get tracked just the same. It's pertinent information the investors are after, and Guild Wars 2 is a game worth tracking, seeing how ludicrously successful they are with their ingenious economy, that shortcircuits the goldfarming market.

Seeing these stats, I can't wrap my head around Elder Scrolls Online and Wildstar really. The audacity to charge a subscription fee in the light of GW2's proven success - borderline insanity.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By AlexW00d

That title is awfully misrepresenting.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These are not the top ten earners. As far as I know, LoL makes more money than any other p2p game right now. This is a list of how much each user is spending on average.

Lol has always been great value for me. I am fairly casual with it, and tend to specialize in about 8 different champs. Every now and then, I buy some more with the in game currency, but the free character rotations are quite good. There have been a few times in team games where we wanted to swap champs but I didn't have the right one. Other than that, I really like the way Lol implements the micro transactions.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Seppli

@splodge: @alexw00d:

It's not really. These are the top ten earners per active user. Of course the revenue gross depends on their total active userbase month-by-month. Sure, the title is a little misleading, but also not wrong. No harm, no foul. Got you to look at the thread anyways.

P.S. I'd love to know how much of that revenue traces back to *Whales*, spending thousandfold what the average is.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hahahaha love this chart. I would love to see the real chart, the one that factors in mobile games like Candy Crush. I bet you not even one game on this list would make the top 10 if they let mobile be considered.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By joshwent

@seppli said:

It's not really. These are the top ten earners per active user. Of course the revenue gross depends on their total active userbase month-by-month. Sure, the title is a little misleading, but also not wrong. No harm, no foul. Got you to look at the thread anyways.

Yep, got me to look at it. I looked at the thread, and thought, "Wow, this title is stupidly wrong." And weirder, you clearly know it too. You even drop quotes from the article itself that specifically say that these aren't the top 10 outright earners, just per-player.

No harm, no foul is a nonsense phrase. Thanks for sharing the article, but misleading titles suck, and it's sad that you're cool with it.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshwent said:

@seppli said:

Yep, got me to look at it. I looked at the thread, and thought, "Wow, this title is stupidly wrong." And weirder, you clearly know it too. You even drop quotes from the article itself that specifically say that these aren't the top 10 outright earners, just per-player.

No harm, no foul is a nonsense phrase. Thanks for sharing the article, but misleading titles suck, and it's sad that you're cool with it.

If it's such a big deal, then I'll edit it of course... *jeez*

invictusman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had heard about this game before but thought it was more popular than you say. There is also a game of counter strike, which is very popular among players.

kevino13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread is from 8 years ago. I think a lot of the data is out-dated by now

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

@kevino13: Spambots like to bump old threads with AI-generated replies.