Theory on how is Forza Horizon 5 releasing before Gran Turismo 7 and Forza Motorsport Reboot?

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By GTxForza

Hello and welcome to my blog!

Only about 6 more days until the launch of Forza Horizon 5.

In case you were wondering how is Forza Horizon 5 going to be released before Gran Turismo 7 and Forza Motorsport Reboot? so here is my theory:

• Forza Horizon is an arcade open-world driving game series while Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport series are both simcades.
  • Open-world driving games featuring performance cars are meant to be more focused on arcade-style handling models like Forza Horizon, Test Drive Unlimited, The Crew, and many others, so the handling model directors and programmers don't have to work so hard to get it so accurate as possible to the real-world car handling plus they're meant to be more focused on the fun factor.
  • Simcade is a type of sim racing that features a more realistic handling model than the majority of other sub-genres of driving games (Except for hardcore Sim Racing) which results in the handling model directors and programmers being required to work harder to get the car handling more accurate as close as possible to the real world.

However, I'm not going to compare that to these two because due to different sub-genres that offer different gameplay.

So what are the best comparisons for the Forza Horizon series?

• The answer is always Test Drive Unlimited and The Crew series because they're open-world driving games and feature similar gameplay.

Bonus theory: How did the Forza Horizon series exist?

• Neither Turn 10 nor Playground Games thought of this idea to attract different kinds of car lovers to play because not every one of them likes motorsport racing as they would prefer street racing, or those who love both motorsports and street racing.

P.S. I'm hoping Test Drive Unlimited Solar Crown is going to be good too.

swthompson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think the answer is that FH5 is less of an overhaul to the Horizon series (in gameplay, simulation, and graphics) than both the mainline Motorsport or Gran Turismo sequels are going to be.

As excited as I am for the game, it seems like an iteration on FH4. The tech is mostly the game, just ramped up. A few new gameplay mechanics, but nothing dramatic.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 bigsocrates  Online

Gran Turismo's studio is notoriously slow so I'm not surprised that Forza Horizon 5 is coming out before Gran Turismo 7. The Forza teams are much better at hitting their dates.

As for why Horizon 5 is coming out before Motorsport 8, I actually think that's probably more about Microsoft than about Turn 10 vs PlayGround games. Yes, @swthompson is right that FH 5 is looking like an iteration on FH 4 while Motorsport is supposed to be a bigger overhaul, but I think the Horizon series has also overtaken the Motorsport series in terms of popularity, and Microsoft wants it's bigger guns out sooner on the new hardware. The Forza Horizon series is also something of a games as a service model so getting it out as an evergreen title on Game Pass will both lead to future revenue and promote the service. Game Pass games do best when they appeal to the broadest audience possible.

I think given those factors Microsoft probably decided to let Turn 10 have more time and to get the Horizon game out first so they could push the Series consoles (Horizon will also be on XBONE but it is clearly built for the Series consoles first.)

As for why the Horizon series came into existence, I think again it was probably not Turn 10 but Microsoft who made that call. Playground Games might have pitched it or Microsoft might have solicited pitches, but I'm betting that Microsoft saw it as a way to expand the Forza franchise and make it more accessible to more people, and it has served that purpose very well.

edoone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By edoone

the idea is to make a Forza that can compete with Assetto and Iracing. GTSport and GT7 has to deal with issues like poor physics an IA on PS4 and PS5. PC is better for dealing with those for obvious reasons, if GT7 wants to be a real thing in Simracing they have to make it available on PC. I guess that is the plan for Microsoft now with Forza Motorsport and if you want to go arcade go and buy Horizon 5,6,7...

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know what the difference in size is between the the GT and Forza teams but GT has always had phenomenally slow development cycles, people didn't mind since the end result was usually great but questions started to come up after GT5 took so long and irked people with its "standard" and "premium" car models, but overall it was still great.
By comparison after the incredible Forza 3 they were banging out new titles almost every year, which was great for a bit but by Forza 5 the corners they had to cut started to show, the Horizon team have managed to hold it together but while the environments are impressive they've also started to feel iterative, the gameplay hasn't really changed at all to the point where i'm recreating bugs from the first Horizon in the fourth, but i don't see many people complaining, it's still fun.

I'm very interested in the next Motorsport, it needs to feel like a breath of fresh air for the franchise, new physics, new sound, i want the Forza 3 effect of something that is polished to perfection.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ThePanzini  Online

Turn 10 is a pretty small studio ~100 and support a lot they helped The Coalition with Gears 5 along with assisting Playground Games ~200, with the lukewarm receiption the last few Motorsport titles had its no suprise that Horizon is coming sooner. Its also helps that the car models are outsourced as was the Series port of Horizon 4.

Polyphony Games ~170 said they were working on their next game in 2019 with GT7 being announced in 2020 and releasing in March 2022, since Polyphony have started outsourcing the cars in GT Sport the timeline is what you would expect considering GT Sport has gotten a lot of updates.

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GTxForza
@edoone said:

the idea is to make a Forza that can compete with Assetto and Iracing. GTSport and GT7 has to deal with issues like poor physics an IA on PS4 and PS5. PC is better for dealing with those for obvious reasons, if GT7 wants to be a real thing in Simracing they have to make it available on PC. I guess that is the plan for Microsoft now with Forza Motorsport and if you want to go arcade go and buy Horizon 5,6,7...

Yeah absolutely!

If an installment of Gran Turismo is going to be on PC, I wanted it to be more focused on Sim Racing rather than Simcade in order to be in the same class as Assetto Corsa, iRacing, rFactor or Automobilista series.

I'm guessing that GT7 on PS5 and Forza Motorsport Reboot on XBSX are both going to be simcades.

Also to me, simcade is more of a PlayStation/Xbox console type driving game in my personal opinion, plus I guess that fewer console owners would be able to afford a racing wheel that supports force feedback compared to the gaming PC owners.

Not to mention that simcade's optimization on controller pad is easier than sim racing in general.

I've also heard Kazunori Yamauchi is going to work on the next project during the post-launch of Gran Turismo 7.

Side note: I was more of a simcade player until when I've bought my first racing wheel that supports force feedback was Thrustmaster T150 Pro, I've mainly used it to play Assetto Corsa Competizione on PC, which made me prefer Sim Racing over Simcades generally then I swapped into Thrustmaster T300 Ferrari Integral Racing Wheel Alcantara. So that's why I prefer Assetto Corsa over Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport series.

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cikame: @bigsocrates:

It's true how Gran Turismo has a slow development process, so I'm believing that they are focusing on driving physics and visuals at the same time for GT7.

I also remembered that Forza Motorsport Reboot is going to feature an all-new physics engine, I'm hoping it will be good, plus this will offer different tire compounds consisting of soft, medium & hard but I'm still hoping for wet tires (Depending on the track condition and race length).

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GTxForza

Turn 10 is a pretty small studio ~100 and support a lot they helped The Coalition with Gears 5 along with assisting Playground Games ~200, with the lukewarm reception the last few Motorsport titles had it's no surprise that Horizon is coming sooner. It also helps that the car models are outsourced as was the Series port of Horizon 4.

Polyphony Games ~170 said they were working on their next game in 2019 with GT7 being announced in 2020 and releasing in March 2022, since Polyphony has started outsourcing the cars in GT Sport the timeline is what you would expect considering GT Sport has gotten a lot of updates.

Not to mention that GT Sport is pretty much like GT7 Prologue.

I remembered that Gran Turismo Sport was supposed to be Gran Turismo 7, based on the 2013 interview, the producer said GT7 was supposed to release in 2015-2016 and was intended to be a PS4 game.

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, I just realised something about target audiences, car loves may also enjoy both motorsport track racing and street racing in gaming, so I edited, sorry my bad that I forgot to add this much earlier on.