The most amazing 3D-hologram TV is created- but it is only B&w - would you buy it?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By monkeyking1969

I was thinking recently that in the 1980s there were two types of computer powerful one that were only sharp in grey scale 640x360 ; or system that were 16 color at 320 x 200...maybe shades of 256 color at best. That choice was sharp and great looking grey, green, or amber or color but much less sharp.

There is no equivalent choice today, because nearly all of our screen are above 1080p. There is not that push where you have to choose color for fidelity or tech.

However, if we were to imagine a future screen that was crazy high resolution 360 holographic, would we buy it if it were grey scale? Would the prospect of the equivalent of a 80K 3D holographic viewing device, be amazing enough to not worry about a color image if the price was $1,200. And when I say grey scale holograph, I mean "imaginary" tech were it looks liek a perosn, car, or just objects if in front of you...like you could touch it.

I think I would be intrigued enough with 'solid appearing' 3D holograms to forgo color. In games I cannot imagine playing in b&w anymore; but I really think I would not mind a game in grey scale if it were solid enough looking and if it used gestural controls like AR. In fact I think if the developer of such a thing had games that were set in the 1930s, the moon, or maybe Silent Hill where you expect the imagery to be that way it might even not be noticed.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

As you described for $1200 gets an easy yes from me. That's something I wanna see, colours or not.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@someoneproud: Interesting. I wonder of color images matter always? I think what I decribed is a decent trade off, it is a trade off for sure. No clue how they would accomplishe it, but I only mildily understand how they make OLEDs anyway.

I remember that 22 years ago in library school we studied eInk and OLED panels being a future tech in 2030 for books, newspapers, etc. We spent a few days in class talking about industrial and business uses of eInk for signage, manuals , office forms, etc. And, today these technologies are common...just not used in ALL the ways we envisioned.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

If it was a 360 degree hologram and I could literally stand in the middle of the "image"? Sure! I'd pay for that.

This isn't exactly what you're talking about... but I thought the Looking Glasses from Prey were pretty much impossible. Uh... turns out not.

Loading Video...

I was actually looking for a video of a holographic TV that was just two panes of glass with light displaying an image, much like Hatsune Mike concerts do things. But this... holy shit.

Ohverture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The most amazing meal has just been cooked for you, it would make 3 star chefs weep - but the only flavours it uses are salt and pepper.

Thanks but...

Kyary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Kyary

Yes, no question. That said I'm an idiot who owns two OLPCs and two Cybikos so yeah, I like weird janky tech

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@justin258: Holy shit. The first half of the video was just "oh that's neat." And then the second half just blew my mind.