The GB Album Club 052 - Horrified by Repulsion

UncleJam23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Duders! Welcome to the 52nd edition of the Inoffocial Giant Bomb Album Club! Last week, we got a little introspective and engaged with our innate sense of sorrow that comes from living in a state of constant chaos. This week, we qp39ug349y73rg9qhr3f8n-r40fb870345gf087r34qfg783rghfer48h CORPSES 0f79h0gt5-7g24egr-9grst9yr3- BLOOD 9f3451y7f3fgberqvb4587t3o8y45b0t34590efivt7b9y39pbvtcc35-t079yw4st-q3ty83-en98ty453pt35y7tp[3y8tp359tybecptxuy-t7q4vpvt9yq34b-t9cp34y8ctj[8347qtbv083fchn9[ SLAUGHTER 3qrbt8yvh9tr8hu q34r0bw5e-8tcw4ingq34t9834qbtyp53ytr3[ht31tc5p g brtptv53 htgqpt 13pt41 crqpecrewr939prtrwy9tgry eqg y y[ 0y80 y8q MAGGOTS 8qnu8-c4t38y90cny8909y8 t23 y89t34y89 because our album this time around is Horrified by Repulsion! This album was selected by our pal @fanaticalmilk, and you can listen with the links below:

Spotify:https://open.spotify.com/album/2nknlmZyMtKyHDstDWVQVV

Apple:https://music.apple.com/us/album/horrified/202277856

Youtube:https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_msu5UYc2D2vpOxaguLEs3od0D-8CXo6pA&si=CRr7IzxP5cmw-1Xt

Here at the Unofficial GB Album Club, we made a pool of albums in our Discord and we pick one every week at random to listen to and discuss. If that sounds like you're idea of a good time, then head on down!

fanaticalmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Not much to say as the picker other than this is a seminal album but very rough and raw. Hope anyone who listens to it enjoys it or at least gets to hear something new.

UncleJam23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I discovered an important thing about my still nascent connection with metal while I was listening to this album.

Normally when I listen to an album, I'm not only paying attention to what song's playing, but I'm also paying attention to lyrics and thinking about the construction and mixing and all that stuff a music fan is supposed to do, hypothetically. At first, on those grounds, I was ready to write Horrified off.

I was ready to complain about how all the songs sounded the same. That I prefer a little more variety when it comes to an album experience, or maybe a sense of a sonic or emotional arc or a variance on a central idea. But then as I kept going, I got more into it. This might sound shitty, but I realized that this isn't an album about my mind. It's about my body. The visceral reaction to the music and giving myself over to the energy of it.

So I turned my brain off, at least as much as I could, I even stopped paying attention to what song I was listening to, and I just went with it. And that's when I started to have a great time. Sure, every song sounds more or less the same, with the occasional variance here and there. But this isn't about individual compositions. This is about hitting play and just getting fuckin' pummeled. Maybe this isn't what you want, but I dug it.

What I learned about myself was this: Some people like their metal more melodic and, in its own way, poised. Appolinian, if you're inclined to certain philosophical concepts. Me, I like my metal dumb and belligerent. "Smoothbrained" as it was referred to in the Discord.

Really, the only complaint I have is the homophobic slur on "Splattered Cadavers." (Excellent song names all around, btw.) As a hip hop fan, I've grown used to this kind of casual homophobia despite how much I really don't want to, and I don't think Repulsion is some bigot shit or anything like that. Rather, it's an album from 1986/89. A time when we still thought it was okay to just toss around stuff like that for shock value. Still, it sucks when that stuff pops up, particularly in scenes that pride themselves on their progressiveness.

But yeah, I kinda loved this, and were I to explore metal in my free time, this is the direction I'd look.

Favorite Songs: N/A