Tetris champion Jonas Neubauer passed away

Obeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Obeast

To the mods: You guys can move this to the Tetris board if you feel it's more suited there.

Last night, 7 time world Tetris champion Jonas Neubauer passed away suddenly.

https://twitter.com/neubsauce/status/1347769622947274754

It’s with a heavy heart that we deliver the terrible news that Jonas has passed away from a sudden medical emergency. He was the absolute best. We are devastated, overwhelmed with grief, and we already miss him dearly. Information to follow when it becomes available.

It's not clear on how he passed away, but I watched a few minutes of him on his Twitch channel a couple days ago. So, I'm assuming it wasn't COVID related (I saw some speculation it might've been a brain aneurism).

I never really got into watching competitive Tetris (I kinda discovered it by accident during one of the times he was competing). But, he seemed like he wasn't only one of the best Tetris players, but also one of the most genuine and nicest people to compete at the level he was at.

SpectralCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SpectralCat

I watched a couple of the Classic Tetris Championship streams. I also discovered them accidentally. I think it was tough to watch one that didn’t have Jonas on it.

Extremely skilled. Gracious in victory and defeat. Seemed genuinely kind and happy to be doing what he was doing.

F

ape_dosmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I watched quite a few of Jonas' videos when I got really into Tetris 99. It's worth watching the Tetris championship final from 2018 when he lost the title to Joseph Saelee, incredibly classy and gracious in defeat and genuinely delighted to pass the Tetris torch on to a new generation.

He and his wife Heather also did some fun Tetris 99 live streams, they had a great relationship. It's really sad to hear of his passing. Good to hear the Bombcast give him a mention earlier this week.

hansberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By hansberg

This is shocking. I watched several of his rounds over the years with my daughter, and we both found his play amazing, and the man himself to be grounded in the interviews that we saw. He seemed like a genuinely kind person, as others have said.

PKB_Noitwont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really sad to hear this. I often walk to the Brewery he worked at, Pre Covid of course, and he was always super friendly when I went in there. When I read about this in our local paper I had no clue about all the Tetris stuff.

fantasticasm89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

A friend of mine did an interview with him. You can find it here: