So what do you all think of DOOM Eternal's Campaign anyway?

ReachMorrowind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll So what do you all think of DOOM Eternal's Campaign anyway? (49 votes)

Haven't played it can't judge 20%
Mehhhh 6%
Mixed thoughts 10%
Hate it 10%
Dislike it 10%
It's alright 6%
I like it 8%
I like it a lot 14%
I love it 14%

I think it's great

• 
cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was enough about it i didn't like that i voted Meh, which were mostly things i didn't like about 2016 but amplified with a few bad ideas introduced, i was ready for it to end about half way through.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it was a colossal misfire from start to finish:

• There's a huge chunk of story that should connect with 2016 and Eternal that's just missing and never filled in.
  • Platforming. Why? Those sections don't belong and don't add anything to the gameplay.
  • I thought the enemy design was poor. Too often things were played for laughs and didn't feel threatening. You can't feel like a badass when the things you are killing are jokes.
  • They took Doomguy and made him into a bad wannabe 40k-cosplayer.
SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't quite know how to answer the poll because I hated everything about the story but loved everything about the game.

Are you writing some sort of thesis paper on Doom Eternal? This is like the third poll in a week haha

ReachMorrowind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode said:

I don't quite know how to answer the poll because I hated everything about the story but loved everything about the game.

Are you writing some sort of thesis paper on Doom Eternal? This is like the third poll in a week haha

Idk

PeezMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

@sethmode: Even odds on this being some sort of Id market research ploy.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

Since I'm beginning to suspect you work for ID Software with all these questions and polls about one game, I'll give you my thoughts. The game's gameplay change was unnecessary. I understand ID wanted to do something different to keep things fresh, but what they did wasn't the answer. The gameplay wasn't as fun as in Doom 2016 as a result. And the level design and soundtrack also wasn't as good. However, the twitchy gameplay was still decent enough for me to play until I finished it, but I was more relieved than satisfied. If you taking this research you're doing back to your boss, tell him to make the next game more like 2016 and not like Eternal. You can include some of the positives from Eternal, like the improved melee finishers and focus on story. Even though the story could've been done better, I respect the attempt.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By csl316

Not sure why this keeps getting brought up this week, but:

Love it. Awesome combat scenarios, gorgeous and varied environment design, fun pacing (as I liked the platforming sections), and a really full story when combined with The Ancient Gods.

Love Doom Eternal. It's so rad. One of the best FPS campaigns of all time.

But if Quake comes back next, might be worth a step back in complexity because this game was clearly divisive. It felt overdesigned, like the Twisted Metal reboot several years back. Some games don't have to be that complicated.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode: Even odds on this being some sort of Id market research ploy.

I haven't seen GTxForza in a while. I'm suspicious.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

As already said, colossal misfire. Completely misunderstood what made the first go around so special and doubled down on all the things that first game seemed to be mocking. They went from smash and grab to writing mini-novellas about an entire world history nobody in their right mind should give a damn about.

The most impressive thing about Eternal is that it actually did the thing The Last of Us Part II got accused of doing, which was to subvert all of its best qualities with utter trash.

It seemed to play really well, but also didn't seem nearly as well balanced for playing with a controller, and while I get that those who spent more time with the game found that it was never insisting you play the game how it seemed to demand to be played, even being able to infer that might be the case from its first few hours is a major betrayal of the first game's core appeal.

Avatar image for sometingbanuble
sometingbanuble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

The campaign was ruined by jumping puzzles. I don't want to platform in a geometric space that I have no clue about. It is/will probably be amazing in VR but my neck will surely be broken after looking around trying to figure out what to do next. I loved Doom 2016 and i really enjoy Doom 64 which was bundled with my Doom Eternal purchase. Of course i didn't realize they only valued DOOM64 at $5.00. I would have never bought a $60 game for that bonus if i had known that. Doom Eternal was nothing that I loved about Doom 2016. I'll go back to that game if i get Doom feels again. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

emospacemonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of the things about modern software is they can analyse real data. So ID have seen this game is replayed more often than 2016. So this thread is more are opinions right or facts right ?