So many Silent Hill games announced. Is this Konami's comeback?

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Konami have released trailers for Silent Hill Townfall, Ascension, f and 2 remake at the same time. I'm not sure what to make of it but that's a lot of Silent Hill!!

There are also rumours about MGS remake in the works too. I just hope that all this quantity doesn't affect the quality.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By FacelessVixen

It depends: How is their pachinko business doing?

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno, maybe?

Like even when Konami was respected as a developer they were making shitty Silent Hill games, and they're basically nothing at all these days aside from like wishful thinking.

Gyratyne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

Remember Metal Gear Survive?

Franchises don't mean anything without actually great games to support them.

styx971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

i think its more likely them looking for money since the pandemic probably hurt their other businesses

dooz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Konami doesn't have a good track record. The people that made their games great are all gone. Be skeptical.

Broshmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I, for one, have zero faith in Konami.

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't call it a comeback. They have been here for years.

permanentsigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol no

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nah

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not all comebacks are triumphant. Plus this is them almost entirely in a publishing capacity. I feel that is a new-ish way of doing business for them.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I'll believe it when I see it. If these games come out, they will certainly be a comeback in terms of quantity, but I have no faith that it will be a comeback in terms of quality.

Konami seems to be throwing a bunch of things at the wall to see what sticks. They won't be able to bring this franchise back simply by throwing money at it. They need to give time and money to some experienced developers who both care and can get a game out the door in three or four years. Silent Hill has an uphill battle to regain trust from its fans, Konami has zero trust from anyone in the gaming community, and new entries in this franchise have to measure up to the best streak that Resident Evil has had since the 90's. And there's potential that Callisto Protocol and the Dead Space remake will be competitors to any new Silent Hill games as well - not that any of these games are particularly comparable, but they all land in the survival horror ballpark and inevitably customers will be going "should I buy Silent Hill, or Resident Evil, or something else?"

apewins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck Konami, I don't care what they do. I knew they'd come crawling back to their franchises eventually but I'm already past them.

The best thing they can do is keep releasing their old games like the Cowabunga Collection (which they published but didn't make) and leave it at that. Give me the Metal Gear and Silent Hill games in a neat package that works with modern systems. I'm not at all interested in any sort of a remake because I suspect that the more effort they put into it, the worse it's going to get.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope this does well for them just to see the weird From Software developed Castlevania I've got in my imagination.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

It depends: How is their pachinko business doing?

^ Too true

Konami coming back to make narrative video games is about asking, "Why take teh risk of making video games when quasi-gambling machines are easier to profit from?" Moreover, when your CEO seems to be connected to Japanese crime...why bother? It's like asking why the New York Gagliano/Lucchese crime family doesn't get into balloon animals or face painting at country fairs.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheRealTurk

I'm gonna go with pachink-no.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

Konami was right up there with Capcom in terms of quality games, especially during the 80s and 90s. But they were quick to abandon making video games when they saw how they could make more money with less risk investing in pachinko. While Capcom stuck it out and went all out with Monster Hunter World which paid off and gave them a second life.

Past behavior is a good predictor of future behavior.

I have no faith Konami will follow through. All these games might get cancelled before they even come out.

Like Jess said more than once, until the games are on my screen and I'm controlling it, I'm not getting my hopes up.

infantpipoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 24

Too early to tell. Depends on how the final products turn out.

owl_cave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want a good collection of the originals, man. Give SH the Cowabunga treatment, you cowards.

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By tartyron

I think it’s less of a comeback and more that they lost a ton of investment on their health clubs over the pandemic and now are trying to make it up with what they still own. That said, I hope these are all good games. Skateboards and other merch I care a lot less about. The fact it’s a blast of tons of games at once does come across a tad cynical, but we’ll see. The trend this may represent, between silent hill and the Witcher having ten thousand games announced all at once feels like these companies are not just going to the well too much, but are potentially gonna fall into how I feel about Marvel now: it’s mostly good but I’ve just sorta had my fill at this point.