Should I get a Switch or a PS4 Pro?

• 59 results
Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Poll Should I get a Switch or a PS4 Pro? (371 votes)

Nintendo Switch 40%
Playstation 4 Pro 60%

Right off the bat, I know this is very much an apples and oranges type question but I've been dancing around either side in my head but can't make up my mind.

Firstly, I play most of my serious games on my PC which is powerful so this is much more of about exclusives but obviously certain genres like driving or fighting games better suit a couch.

Pros for Switch:

*It is new and so at the start of whatever its support life will be so I can safely know it's going to have a lot of focus and games over the next few years.

*Zelda is very very good apparently. I haven't played a Zelda since Wind Waker which I loved to death.

*It is more naturally set up for casual local multiplayer and co-op than the PS4 is. This is a big deal as it'd be much more accessible for my partner who like many people played a lot of the 64 era and dropped off more modern games. Stuff like Mario Kart and Snipper Clips is already delivering on this promise.

*It is a lot cheaper than a PS4 Pro

*It is less likely to get any hardware spec (ie. more graphics etc) revisions down the line since that is not really how Nintendo rolls.

Cons for Switch:

*Some hardware issues present (easily scratched screen, de-syncing controllers, warping housing) and these might be addressed down the line and buying one now might mean missing out on any fixed up versions.

*No backlog. This isn't really it's fault but it is just now it is.

*Christ those controllers look tiny. I am so sure I will break them eventually.

Pros for the PS4 Pro:

*Maximum graphics on the new games.

*Huge exclusives backlog that I am interested in (Bloodborne, Uncharted etc)

*More games upcoming that I am interested in than Switch

*Much more of a multiuse machine for netflix/bluray playback etc, although I already use my ps3 for that with no real fuss.

Cons for the PS4 Pro:

*Super fucking expensive in my region

*All the games I would want are complex (by comparison) singleplayer games, which my partner wouldn't be interested in, really.

*Uncertain future. I mean Is this the first of many revisions or just a halfstep for the PS5 or is this going to be the supported platform for another 5 years. It's real tough to tell.

So there you have it. Sorry to bore you with my capitalistic dilemma but I'm hoping anyone could weigh in and help me commit.

And if you vote please let me know why! That's much more valuable to me than just one number being higher than the other.

• 
Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clockwork5: yep sure. Gives me time to reflect on the responses and for people to chip in over time. Any earthshattering changes can be addressed if they happen. The only thing I see happening is whether or not Switch has a beefier line up after E3

BoboBones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By BoboBones

I think Zelda is one of the best games I've ever played. (Wii U version) That being said, I've put way more time into Persona, Infamous, Nioh, MLB 17, and Bloodborne. Havn't even finished Uncharted, Gravity Rush 2, or Dragon Quest Builders.

As mainly a PC user I don't regret going for the Pro over Switch at all. There are too many great games out right now no matter what you play on to feel indecisive. Great games are everywhere!

Also, PS+ is pretty slick.

Wytao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Wytao

Read a lot of posts and decided I'm just going to throw my 2 cents in.

The two catagories to look at between these two systems will by hardware and software. As far as hardware is concerned I'm really only looking at the portability of the switch, which if your planning on taking the train a lot and like to play games portability may be a huge boon for this console.

Then when it comes to software things are really tricky right now, because with the PS4, you have a large backlog of games to play (with a ton of recent 3rd party exclusives to munch on), and lots of exclusives 3rd or 1st party coming down the pipe. I own a PC and tend to like Japanese games a ton (recently Persona 5 and Nioh), which tend to not be published or ported so well to PC. So you can look there and if there are more than 5 games you are interested in, id recommend a PS4 pro (also the Last of Us 2 is coming, cant wait). The reason the Switch is weird is because there is a lot of potential there, but at the moment thats all it is, we have no idea really how that console is going to preform on the software front past the first year. You gotta remember that there is a Zelda on it, but that will be the only Zelda on it (not generated but VERY likely, unless we get a 2D Zelda, in which case cant wait), there is a Mario Cart but they may not make another one, after Mario this year it there may not be another signal player Mario game again. But for a lot that's ok, you should at this point, already know if you like those types of games enough to get a Switch to plat them. So it also comes down to how often you play games, i know some people that wont finish Zelda for many months, but if you play a TON of games, likely the Switch does not and will not for a while, have a library to satisfy intense gaming as a investment at the moment.

It not a overly easy decision where to place your money, at the moment i would say PS4 pro, if only to let the Switch stew for a while and pick it up later, in 1-2 years, there will then be a great proven backlog that you can get in yourself, while in the meantime playing the backlog of PS4 games and what is to come which is more than enough to get you but without regret.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Can you wait until December? I don't own a PS4 Pro, but since you put that you care more for the games coming out for it, that's my answer IF you need an immediate purchase. December there will be more Switches in stock and more fun to be had with exclusives. Once that happens and an easier consensus is made, I think you'd have an easier time picking between the two. Personally I don't think you can go wrong with either, but if I were the one buying, I'd lean towards the Switch just for novelty. But like I said, PS4 Pro if you like the software lineup better.

boiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By boiter

i got a ps4 (original), then a new PC, now a switch.

bloodborne was what pushed me into getting a ps4. have been a long time sony fan (played alot of Ps1 at brothers, bought well into the ps2 ps3). i've enjoyed the few exclusives here and there but also found the ps4 a bit lacking? personally. i find playing games on pc much more interesting. more games to check out, generally better pricing. easier online + no paying for online. games that are multiplatform generally run better on pc (dark souls 3, witcher 3, eg.). i've just found pc does essentially everything that ps4 does but better, with the exception being the exclusive games that came to ps4 are obviously exclusive to ps4.

switch.. on the other hand.. has a completely different niche and is satisfying that niche in a really fun way. loving the ability to play games on tv with friends + play the same games in handheld mode while watching youtubes/travelling on train. the switch is just a really cool thing, with a new and relatively empty library of games to really sink into.

it's a tricky question to answer, and depends on what you're after + what price you're looking at + what exclusive games you wanna play.

Creme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You have to make a decision on what games you care the most. Right now, the PS4 has way more exclusive games than the Switch, but you need to care about them to make it worth it.

The Switch is a completely different experience that compliments a PC very well.

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 6

#57 billmcneal  Online

I would recommend getting a PS4 Pro

keegz15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By keegz15

I have an xbox one, and will keep it, but im looking to get a ps4 pro or Nintendo switch, which should i get

sawtooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@keegz15: forum necro for halloween!

As always, this question boils down to what games you want to play and do you want the mobile ability of the switch.

Also, wait for another month to see the holiday deals and bundles for both these systems? I'm expecting to be severely tempted by some choice ps4 pro bundles.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7e993aef3e3
deactivated-5e7e993aef3e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, which one do you think is better: Tetris, or Call of Duty.