Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne; Some Info On The PC Port (At Launch, Anyway)

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By JasonR86

Hey guys, I just picked this up on Steam and thought I'd give you all a heads up. The gameplay runs at whatever 16x9 resolution you want (I don't know about other aspect ratios) but other than that the port is pretty barebones. The game is locked at 30 FPS, most graphics options are either 'on' or 'off' and there are around four of them in total. And to top it off, the antialiasing option they have, which is an 'on/off' toggle with no clarity as to what type of AA they are using, seems to be broken. When it's on, the game appears juddery, almost like it's an interlaced signal. I'd recommend keeping it off and using your GPU to add anti-aliasing.

I've only played the game for a bit, and for a bit on the PS2, but really liked what I did play. It's too bad the port is so barebones and rough around the edges. I don't know how the consoles versions are, though.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Thats a shame. Hope they fix it.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never liked Nocturne and have always been mildly confused at the incredible praise for it but this is a damn shame, it is very popular in the circles in runs and one would think they could manage a more competent port for it than this.

theuprightman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By theuprightman

I was thinking about getting this next month as I wanted to try out an SMGT game that was not on the 3DS. I think the port of Persona 4 Golden gave people some inflated expectations, but that was a port of the Vita game, not a PS2 game. I might just get Neir instead and wait for a sale.

They are also just charging too much for it. It's £55 vs. Persona 4 Golden a much more revered game at £16. It just does not make a whole lot of sense.

vallian88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do you think port developers rely on the modding community to cover this kind of stuff? I was thinking about picking this up since I really like P4G on PC, but i might wait until someone mods in some better options.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

When I saw they were selling this port of a very old game for basically full price I quickly lost interest and these bleak news about its quality certainly aren’t helping.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

from what I read, they cannot increase frame rate due to limitations with the game itself.

if they increase it to 60fps, then it will run at 2x speed.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bemusedchunk: I dunno if this is enough if they're wanting full price.

And I wonder how hard it would be to right now grab a ps2 emulator and get better results.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Panfoot

On the one hand I'm really into the style going on in this and would like to see more Atlus games on PC....on the other hand even with the easy difficulty I don't know if I have it in me to play something like this anymore and 70 bucks(with all the DLC included) for such a barebones port of a PS2 game is one of the worst video game deals i've seen in a while.