Shenmue Anime

doerr007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By doerr007

So Crunchy Roll & Adult Swim announced an anime was coming executive produced by Yu Suzuki i just hope he make sure to put sailors in there because Ryu is looking for some sailors.

Judoboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If there's not at least a dedicated episode just about finding sailors then it's not canon.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe an anime can get the characterization right. I got the sense of what they were trying to do with Ryo et al in Shenmue 1, but the writing and VO were so awkward and poor that none of it landed at all.

Also, did the sequels ever tell us what those mirrors do? Like, open up a portal to a hell dimension or something?

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a real didn't stop to think if they should moment.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems pretty fitting seeing how filler episodes are an established anime trope and Shenmue is 90% filler already.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By imhungry

Will there be an episode where Ryo just sits at a bench for an entire day waiting to talk to 1 person then calls it a night? Because that honestly sounds like a killer episode.

noobsauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Couldn't be any worse than the games.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

A somewhat realistic martial arts revenge story eh? Would Shenmue be considered noir? I mean he IS pretty hard boiled asking about those sailors. It's such a weirdly underwhelming story because under the logic of the video games Ryo is an unstoppable badass fighter against everyone except the lead villain conveniently. He's only considered an underdog purely by his social status. So you're working with a lot of unearned gravitas purely to fit the design of a game. Do you pull back on that and make fights more difficult/dangerous for him or is it not worth the effort trying to spin it that way? If it's a tongue-in-cheek comedy about how shoddily those games have aged that could work. Oddly enough this is a situation where CG animation would fit the source material rather nicely.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This seems less weird than the Dragon's Dogma anime.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

Personally I can't wait for like 10 episodes of Johnny Shenmue or whatever his name is standing at bus stops, going through every drawer he can find, getting his forklift driving experience, and turning the crank on various gachapon machines until the plot finally goes forward.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By brian_

Man... You thought Bleach was bad with filler, just wait until they finish up the Shenmue 3 arc and find out there's still 20 more Shenmue games that need to be made.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Hell yeah! 15 minute sequence of trying to get all the gatchapons!

Avatar image for ithas2besaidkvo
ItHas2BeSaidKVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it doesn't have dodgy english VO, then I'm out.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

It can be fun... I mean, it can't be worse than the games, those have some pretty awful characterization (mostly due to the voice acting) and pacing issues (even entire numbered entries feel like filler). I feel like a semi decent director could get to the first 3 games in 10 episodes, at most. After that is all "original" material (probably based on Suzuki's notes)

It will be like Game of Thrones all over again, with the adaptation running off source material relatively earlier, except they have a chance to change a poor source material into something interesting.

bananabreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TOM!!!

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

So lemme see if I have this straight...20 years fans have been waiting for ANY kind of closure, and instead...they get a 3rd game that ends in a cliffhanger and an anime (that traditionally on-time and never delayed/padded medium) that's starting FROM THE BEGINNING???

Eventually the blood will come from you rather than the stone, I guess.