Ron Funches made an excellent point

jaypethian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Tetris was GOTY 2018?

I must of repressed this memory.... but I looked it up and it was true. How ? Why? What? Seriously.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Cuz it was amazing

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do we really need to go over this again?

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it was the consensus winner...which is different than 'best game.'

my guess is it was the result of half truth and half exhaustion.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By BisonHero

Tetris Effect was like, Compromise of the Year 2018. The staff feels good about the choice, but I can’t agree that it’s the best of 2018.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6 brian_  Online

Tetris Effect was a lot of diminishing return for me personally. I mean... I like playing Tetris, but I also liked playing Lumines. And if I was going to go back to one, it'd probably actually be Lumines.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Tetris Effect is incredible, y'all are crazy.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was it an excellent point 'cuz you didn't care for the game?

BonelessSpirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BonelessSpirit

It's really simple if you just think about the way GB goes about selecting their GOTY.

Most of the GB folks had a lot of fun with it and there weren't any huge gripes anyone had with it. Basically it was the game with least contention that most of them enjoyed playing.

Which is why Control will win this year.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bonelessspirit: I think it will be Control or Outer Wilds. West seems more into Control, East more into Outer Wilds.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

There were a whole bunch of excellent games last year. Tetris Effect was one of them. Not sure what's not to get here.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@onemanarmyy:

I’m hoping it comes down to Either Outer Worlds or Outer Wilds.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doctortran:

I'm hoping the long discussion makes it all a blend and at the end they agree that OuterWhirl should definitly be their game of the year ^_^

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, seriously. Tetris, a game so good that it's still GOTY 33 years after its initial release. Also, Mizuguchi is cool.

As for how, why, and what; there's literally a 6 hour podcast explaining why they chose the list that they did.

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I'm not familiar with this week's guest but he seemed to know his Giant Bomb and looking back, yeah Tetris Effect is a really odd choice. Whatever gets the biggest majority I guess.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Giant Bomb and bad GOTY picks, name a more iconic duo

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean Obra Dinn and Into the Breach were better, but no way they were going to end up on top. Tetris Effect was a good choice.

@doctordonkey: The Giant Bomb community and being shitty about things.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@onemanarmyy: and that’s what I want. I’m looking for “Who’s on first” kind of scenario here.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#21 fisk0  Moderator

I mean, sure, there were better games that year, but none of them made the list. Hell, none of the staff played Overload, I think Tetris made the most sense of what they had to work with.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tetris is one of the greatest games ever made though

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@oursin_360: I mean so is chess and you don't see that winning every game of the year award.

I think the argument is split firmly into two camps - one that thinks Tetris is the greatest game of all time and nothing can beat it, and the other that agrees but is also like "but it's also just Tetris..."

I was very much in the latter camp because yah I appreciate what Tetris is.. but in 2018 it's still just Tetris while these other contenders have done so much more to push the medium forward in their respective categories. So it's just that yes we should all appreciate the genius that went into crafting this puzzle game, but lets not let that overshadow more current advancements in gaming. Storytelling and such are incredibly important these days and it's a shame to see great writing lose out to tried and true puzzle gameplay.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By liquiddragon

@humanity: Plz don't call Tetris Effect just Tetris. TE is an experience. If they made a chess game that sounds and looks as good as TE and puts you in a hypnotic trance, yes, I will consider it for GOTY.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: It's literally just Tetris with flashing lights and lo-fi hip hop. You can get the same result with a Youtube playlist and any version of Tetris.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

but in 2018 it's still just Tetris while these other contenders have done so much more to push the medium forward in their respective categories.

If we're talking about this as a criteria then I'd give Tetris Effect even more points toward winning GOTY because that game used the medium of Tetris to craft an audiovisual experience that is not only like no other Tetris game before it, but also stands out as fairly singular in the space of video games to me.

I can certainly understand having a preference for more traditionally substantive forms of storytelling but to write off Tetris Effect as 'just another Tetris game' strikes me as narrow minded. It is absolutely crafted with the intention of bringing you on an emotional journey as you play, with its own themes and motifs. That journey won't resonate with everyone in the same way, just as other video game stories won't be a hit with everybody. You could absolutely argue that you personally felt that it is the less deserving experience on this arbitrary video game list, that's fine, but reducing Tetris Effect to 'just Tetris' would be akin to me saying Red Dead 2 or God of War were 'just 3rd person action games'.

ThisIsACoolTag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@liquiddragon: it’s just Tetris, but if that’s your thing then sure. It can have the most amazing audio/ visual package on earth in the background but it’s still just Tetris in the foreground. Either way like I said above there is evidently a big split in opinion about this.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

In b4 Tetris 99 wins 2019 GOTY.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess that I’ve always wondered if people got mad because Tetris Effect won or because Brokeback Mountain didn’t?

jaypethian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry guys I realise now how trolly this forum post is, and apologise for even posting it in the 1st place.

@bisonhero:Yes

@thisisacooltag:Yes, I know how this website works. I'm sorry I didn't memorize 25 hours of podcasts from almost a year ago.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By The_Nubster

People still salty about GOTY stuff lmao

Anyone wanna discuss Skyrim vs Saints Row 3? There must be some wounds that are still being licked about that.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SethMode

@the_nubster said:

People still salty about GOTY stuff lmao

Anyone wanna discuss Skyrim vs Saints Row 3? There must be some wounds that are still being licked about that.

It's up there for me in terms of GOTY discussions that the irrational part of my brain gets upset about when I think about it (although, my reaction is nowhere near how bad it is for some...I mean this in a more joking way). Same for Shadow Broker vs. Bioshock 2 DLC (blanking on the name) and the Brad Destiny filibuster.

All in good fun of course, but it is so crazy to me how some of those moments still pop up in my mind and I feel my blood pressure raise slightly over something so pointless.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

@sethmode - Heh. I'm kind of in the same boat. I get worked up internally over these podcasts for a brief moment, and then take a deep breath and ask myself "WTF am I doing?" At least we recognize how irrational the feelings can be. :|

To fight those stupid, irrational, blood-boiling feelings I do two things:

• Recognize that it's just GOTY and it really doesn't matter what the crew thinks. I have MY game of the year and that's all that matters.
  • More often than not, I disagree with most of the crew's list each year, so now I just go into these debates expecting a pick that doesn't conform to the standard/safe choice.
bugbarbecue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God this is tiresome.

"People made a choice I dont agree with, must be wrong." is literally the most boring circular argument there is.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ghost_cat

So no one kinda sees GB's "Game of the Year" category to be, at a certain point, a running joke through series of yields to compromises because it is ultimately a meaningless award due to people's unique interests?