Renewing my Subscription

tomservo50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Seeing one type of thread popping up, thought I would present another.

I have to admit that I haven't had as much time over the past year as I have in the past to regularly keep up with GB content. Bought a house that saw my daily commute (and podcast time) significantly reduced. A second child was added to our family. And at the start of this year my wife opened a restaurant while maintaining her regular job. And while we are luckier than most in terms of the impact of COVID, with our health and regular jobs being unaffected, my extra teaching work has dried up and obviously the restaurant is struggling (and support from the Japanese government is really slow in coming, though again we are lucky that our particular municipality has been proactive in providing some help). So yeah, at a financial level it had certainly occurred to me to let my sub lapse, at least for a little bit. And my renewal date is in August, so I could skip the sale but still take time to consider my decision.

But renew I did. I still enjoy the content that GB produces, and while I don't get to as much of it as I would like, I still find time to enjoy Alex's drumming and trucking streams (very relaxing), as well as anything adventure game related like the Nancy Drew videos, and my kids like the Minecraft videos. I also really want to find the time to catch up on the Mass Alex series.

The biggest reason I renewed though, on May 29th, was after seeing Abby's tweets in support of the protests in Minneapolis. It reminded that I enjoy spending time with the personalities of this site, that I feel when I sit down to watch a GB video I will do so with people that I like and feel comfortable with. Also, and this is just my own personal feeling, I'd feel deeply guilty if letting my sub lapse led to any of the GB people leaving. I like everyone at GB and want to continue to see the site succeed, and seeing the statements by Abby, Jeff and others renews my faith that these are good people that deserve my support.

Anyway, that's my thoughts.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

istateside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Agreed. Always loved Giant Bomb, and while I respect why the staff generally doesn't discuss politics outright, I'm always glad to hear them speak up at times when lines need to be drawn. Abby's one of the best hires they've ever made.

Avatar image for deactivated-63c9a5152a56a
deactivated-63c9a5152a56a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Word, to be honest Abby, Ben, and Jason's content aren't always my thing. But I'm a 40 year old man and they're into different things and have different senses of humor than me. I'll take an old games stream any day of the week. But I still poke into what they're doing because I know they're good people and are also good at being entertaining even with games I don't care about.

Except Souls games, eff that jazz.

Keep up the great work guys, I'll be a subscriber for life.

Grocery_Bag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Though I may not always agree with some staff opinions, or even sometimes those around me, I certainly respect the opinions and viewpoints of those around me.

Having a voiced and uncensored opinion should be a human right, and it is our right as humans to respect the opinions of others as well.

Glad you are renewing, Duder. I also have decided to stay.

shorap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I renewed again recently for the upteenth time. I’ve had a premium subscription since the beginning and am fine with not all content being for me.

No more Beast in the East still hurts though as are my past survey suggestions of a Rorie rpg feature, playing through NWN2 and Alpha Protocol.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol cops are killing people and people are unsubbing from a video game site because the site says killing those people is bad

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Fear_the_Booboo

I'm very thankful that they've been vocal about this and it makes me happy supporting them. I'm white so I've never been a victim of racism, but I have certain health conditions which make me lose my patience with people unwilling to engage with the idea of a better world. Seeing the outpouring of support towards BLM right now is invigorating to me.

Also a big thank you to Rorie and the mods team. These issues bring a lot of heated discourse and I'm certainly someone who can get annoyed, impatient and maybe too blunt towards some arguments that I've heard a thousand times. Keeping threads of discussions and comments open seems like a lot of work and I can't imagine how stressful it must be, but on the other hand I'm glad we can actually have some of those discussions here because I've definitely read some stuff that made me look deeper on particular subjects.

Malusdraco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'm a really new subscriber, as in i joined really just a couple days ago. the decision had a handful of parts to it, but one of the largest ones was that times are tough, and the GB team really stepped up to make stuff that's brought me a lot of joy despite everything- that deserved *something.* the statement yesterday, and words from the team on twitter really made me realize i'd made the right decision.

and it's important, especially given the culture of the gaming community at large that really encourages and fosters racism and other forms of bigotry, for those with some sort of voice to not be silent.

are there things left for GB to do? to say? yeah, probably? i don't know what, or how, and i'm not particularly a good judge of that. but i am optimistic

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I unsubbed today...from the NY Times. Who seem to think slapping the musings of a fascist dickhead all over the Op Ed pages is responsible journalism.

Kinda undecided about this place, though. I might need to stick around for another decade to see how it goes.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frytup said:

Well, I unsubbed today...from the NY Times. Who seem to think slapping the musings of a fascist dickhead all over the Op Ed pages is responsible journalism.

Kinda undecided about this place, though. I might need to stick around for another decade to see how it goes.

Same. What the fuck?

Also, I have not resubbed here...but only because it just goes through automatically every December and I insisted that my wife continue my sub even if I die.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I've resubbed because I'm a fan of the site and I guess it's my mission to stick it out until there are only 3 people using the forums and two of those people are bots bringing that Burgle my Bananas thread up from the depths every few weeks. The people unsubbing because of recent events are probably people that weren't happy for a lot of other reasons and this was just a good enough excuse - and honestly good for them, hopefully they don't have to continue coming here and getting upset at the direction the site is taking anymore. Best use that energy for other activities, sites, games etc.

It's pretty wild to see so many threads pop up as a result of that one tweet though.

shorap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frytup: I can’t remember the last time that I watched, read, or listened to legacy media.

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Went from monthly to a full year - I made the decision over how I manage my support for just how much I appreciated the team's output during the global lockdowns but I feel even more vindicated with their voices and actions these last few days. These are not the times to be apolitical or get pissy with people trying to make these changes happen.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

I re-subbed and will continue to re-sub. <3

superslidetail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Still subbing 7+ years here!

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@humanity said:

It's pretty wild to see so many threads pop up as a result of that one tweet though.

It always will happen on a website so personality driven. The actions and opinions of the staff will affect the site and the business even when they are not coming from a professional angle.

It's quite an interesting look into modern pseudo-celebrity culture and also shows how much that the individuals of this website are of greater significance to the majority of the fanbase than the actual content they make; hence why we have threads from people both subbing and unsubbing based on off-site behaviour.

Lol cops are killing people and people are unsubbing from a video game site because the site says killing those people is bad

People are unsubbing because they recognise the irony in tarring an entire section of the population with the same brush as protest to racism and prejudice...

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I understand the concept and support for this thread, I am and will continue to be a long time subscriber as well. However, I would simply ask that if you are in a situation to spare extra money to extend your sub...Consider donating to groups that are fighting for human rights on the ground such as Black Lives Matter, LGBTQ, and protest bail relief groups.

tonal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having a voiced and uncensored opinion should be a human right, and it is our right as humans to respect the opinions of others as well.

The right of EVERY human should be (100% agree with this) to be able to voice their opinion no matter what that opinion may be! And my opinion is that there are many people that do not see opinions which are not in line with their own as a valid opinion! You absolutely do not have to agree others opinions, in fact I would say the fact of not agreeing is more important and absolutely natural since not one human being is the same as one other human being. Maybe it's my own failing as a human in never being able to "fit in" with anyone in my own life that brought me to feel the way I do. I work at it some everyday regardless, but this loneliness of being human can be overwhelming I personally believe for everyone whether or not it's consciously in the forefront of their mind or not... and that disconnection and loneliness we all share is what keeps me connected the most with other humans and their opinions when I hear them, see them or what have you.

Think maybe I'll make a separate post of this to see more about how others think of this sort of thing... (to be 100% real) to help myself even if it helps no one else, but my hope is that it does, if for no other reason than connecting some others that feel lost like myself.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@xanadu said:

I understand the concept and support for this thread, I am and will continue to be a long time subscriber as well. However, I would simply ask that if you are in a situation to spare extra money to extend your sub...Consider donating to groups that are fighting for human rights on the ground such as Black Lives Matter, LGBTQ, and protest bail relief groups.

This, you guys. Please. <3

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is really nice to see after a bunch of leaving threads. I've gone back and forth on my sub a few times over the years, often because of money and once or twice because I just wasn't watching much of the content.

Following all the hard work and good stuff they've been doing through the last couple of months and some genuinely heart-warming community posts, I'm committed to supporting the site until the very end regardless of how much content I get through.

My sub will always be there, keep it up guys. Much love!

regmcfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@someoneproud: giant bomb has always been a political site because it has people in it.

I'm glad it's on the right side here.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@regmcfly: ??? I don't remember saying anything at all about politics... nope (it's written just up there btw). Unless we're just sharing asinine observations? The sky is blue and it's always been blue. Your turn I guess...

regmcfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hit the wrong @ and I'm very sorry.

deckard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’ve been a subscriber since the first day subs were available - and as Jeff says it would be crazy to stop now.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Resubbed and will continue to resub, this pretty much whole year aside, I don't subscribe to the mob mentality of overly defending a staff member, and i Never agreed with most of Abby or Ben's views or content, but its totally their right to do what they want. here for the other folks (Jan has REALLY come into his own and become a true star of the site)

and well, giantbomb's kinda one of those always reliable constants. and the site always has its ups and downs, but i feel generally it's always still been "Fun", will always remember when Ryan passed how everyone was proclaiming the end of the site, or when Drew left it was the end, and they always bounced back.

And anytime i just need a break from here, well, Dan's streaming a lot these days.

@tonal said:
@grocery_bag said:

The right of EVERY human should be (100% agree with this) to be able to voice their opinion no matter what that opinion may be! And my opinion is that there are many people that do not see opinions which are not in line with their own as a valid opinion! You absolutely do not have to agree others opinions, in fact I would say the fact of not agreeing is more important and absolutely natural since not one human being is the same as one other human being. Maybe it's my own failing as a human in never being able to "fit in" with anyone in my own life that brought me to feel the way I do. I work at it some everyday regardless, but this loneliness of being human can be overwhelming I personally believe for everyone whether or not it's consciously in the forefront of their mind or not... and that disconnection and loneliness we all share is what keeps me connected the most with other humans and their opinions when I hear them, see them or what have you.

Think maybe I'll make a separate post of this to see more about how others think of this sort of thing... (to be 100% real) to help myself even if it helps no one else, but my hope is that it does, if for no other reason than connecting some others that feel lost like myself.

just quote chaining this as i 10000% agree with this as well.

Grocery_Bag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tonal: Do not beat yourself up so hard. Acknowledging that you can change your own flaws is something very few people can do. If anything, I commend your strength.

I personally have learned not to voice my opinions in public, because most people who disagree just don’t want to hear them, and then some take it a step further and feel the need to explain why they don’t want to hear them but yours is wrong and you still have to agree with theirs.

Especially on these forums recently, the amount of people yelling at each other just because their opinions don’t align is very ridiculous. Everyone wants to tell others how to live, while sitting in front of a keyboard, but very few of those same people actually care enough to go out there and make a physical change.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@regmcfly: Sarcasm? I am interested to know who you meant to @, given that literally the only mentions of politics on the site were in support of it... kinda disappointed you were playing exchange the obvious with someone else tbh :(

regmcfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@regmcfly: Ah ok, it can be hard to tell sometimes, really no need for apologies duder. I have to admit I jumped the gun, my bad for that, really. Congratulations on the impending baby btw :) I saw the topic and was just about to post there when I saw this reply, all the best to you and yours!

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By development

@alexw00d: Been seeing lots of things like this. Where are the good cops? Are they the ones kneeling that then immediately abuse protesters the same day? Or the ones that stand by silently and let the abuse happen? Oh, I know, it's the ones that actually try to do things different and not assault people oh shit they're the only cops who actually get fired and face real charges without protests prompting it.

When being bad is systemic (aka when the culture forces you to either conform or be cast out), all those in the system are bad.

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1268043104822665218 Scroll up for all the recent filmed acts of police violence during protests. I have another thread of endless face and head wounds due to rubber bullets if you want it. Some of them are definitely dead or dying.

edit: there's some good twitter hashtags going today. Here's another. Check it out to literally see a new police brutality video every 5 seconds.

regmcfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My subscription lapsed in May and I haven’t had the money to fix that, because I really want to continue supporting the site, especially now during covid when people probably are cutting back. And seeing people unsubscribe over the BLM and police criticism just makes my lack of ability to contribute feel even more annoying. But I’ll get back in as soon as I can.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@development: Not to get into the weeds of this stuff in what is meant to be a positive thread, but since you're asking here is an example of a good cop from another thread that was closed LINK - like I understand the sentiment, and it's terrifying to see such an overwhelming majority of police officers acting like less than human beings. Shooting at pregnant women, abusing civil right left and right. It's disgusting and disturbing to see the mask come down so blatantly with such disregard as to who sees it. But I'm also against painting with the broadest of brushes - I mean fuck this guy too? Someone who is working to bring down change from the inside? You can't just say everyone is bad and if they're not bad they're complicit so they're also bad so fuck 'em too. This entire fiasco is too complicated for that.

leonadar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I resubbed during the sale (even though my subscription was already good for a year). I was a little late to the party, only learning about GB in 2015. Never let my sub lapse since then. I never miss a bombcast/beastcast. I can't wait when things get back to whatever normal is and we can get back to in-studio UPFs and PlayDates.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: I’ll bet my life he ends up suicided in his home or has his own scandal leak in the next 6 months. At the very least transferred to another department when the officers get no time.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SethMode

@humanity: The larger point isn't that all cops are monsters. The point is that the system is monstrous, racist, over-funded, brutal, and white supremacist. That doesn't mean all cops are. But a lot of cops are, and they are continually allowed to do so because of the aforementioned system. This hand wringing over "the good ones" is akin to when people hear complaints about men or white people and say "not all men/white people".

At least, that's my perspective and what I understand to be the perspective of people that I've interacted with within the movement.

Avatar image for timeoflifehaver
timeoflifehaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I purposefully renew my subscription outside of the sale windows to maximize my support of the crew. Never been a better time to subscribe to GB!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode: And I absolutely agree that it is monstrous and it does need to get fundamentally broken down, purged of all corruption and restablished with stronger checks and balances and much more stringent oversight from governing agencies and more importantly from the people. And thats the bare minimum that has to happen, and it's something that sadly will take years to achieve, and with the current administration will get stiffed at every turn. I still think "hand wringing" is an equally dangerous and reductive way to look at mass labels, because it's never that and no complicated issue should ever be reduced to an either/or situation. That said man I have to be honest that despite believe this very strongly, seeing these barbaric acts take place and escalate with each new day it is impossible to say anything positive even about the people that deserve it. Seeing people get shot with rubber bullets and get crippled for life for no reason at all, pregnant women get tackled to get ground, gassed, all sorts of brutality and basic civil rights trampled. It is draining and it is very, very scary. At this point the National Guard should be called in just to reign the police force in, but then again who is to say the National Guard isn't twice as bad.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Shindig

Even if the National Guard came in as a mediator, it'll look like an escalation. I'm all for curfews but that's more due to the Covid floating around that's hit the black community the hardest.

There's never really a 'good' time to protest but this seems like the worst timing.

creutzfeldt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love this site and the people running it - and have since the start. Paid up until October 2025. I don't catch EVERYTHING like I used to, but it's still my least expensive source of Premium Content™.

The crew having opinions is great, especially since they're the right ones!

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would folks be more or less likely to renew if the team retweeted videos of communities cleaning up?

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The daily content this site has been producing has been hugely important for me during this quarantine/lockdown stuff. Being able to always have something on to keep me occupied or on in the background has been fantastic.

I've been subbed for many years, and will be for many more.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

I've been subbed for almost a decade now, and I don't see that changing any time soon. I love everyone that's been brought in for their different personalities and opinions, and hearing the team be more vocal in recent times and especially so this week has only reaffirmed that I'm giving my support to good people.

Also, as others have said - if you've already subbed and can afford to throw a little money elsewhere, be sure to look into donating to all the fundraisers and charitable causes going on right now!

CyrusRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I have renew my subscription each year. I plan to do it as long as I am able, which will be for a long time I hope. That staff does great work and always finds a way to provide articles, audio, video and other content in between. I had the privilege to watch the members live at Pax East twice, which means I had the privilege of sitting in a room with some of you too. I had the greater privilege of meeting people from The League of Heels PAX East Rumble too; an event that bring together all people.

We are blessed to have an group like Giant Bomb in gaming. They thread the need of being owned my CBSi while remaining an independent voice. Their guest show us new sides of gaming, add new voices, more often than not show the kindness and generosity of the people who play and make games. And, our support through subscriptions, through our interactions, and our viewership helps make that independent voice possible.

supazio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By supazio

I recently renewed as well. To be honest, I don't consume much GB content anymore. Back when I had a longer commute I'd listen to the Bombcast, sometimes a Beastcast; now my commute is 10 minutes so I don't have as much spare time to listen. I'll watch a quick look here and there, or whatever other video (shoutout to Alex's trucking series), but the main reason I re-subbed is The Hotspot revival. I watched/read a lot of Gamespot from 2003-2007, and stopped going to Gamespot after Jeff was fired. Hearing about those years where Gamespot was the biggest game site on the internet, and the actual internal goings-on is some of my favorite listening. It's weird to say but in a sense I grew up with these guys. I was listening to Jeff, Brad, and Alex on podcasts 15 years ago.