PS5 Pro Size. Oh god is it gonna be bigger?

Avatar image for spacemanspiff00
spacemanspiff00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I hadn't really thought about it till I was reminded that the PS4 Pro is bigger than the base PS4. Now I'm sitting here kinda chuckling at my PS5 sitting beside my mid tower PC. its almost as tall already. Oh lawd what kind of monstrosity are they cooking up?

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm just imagining people in a lab trying to stack an extra vertical layer on top of the PS5, the same way they did with the PS4 Pro, but it keeps slipping off because of the PS5's curvatures. Eventually, they just give up, deeming it impossible to make a Pro version.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ThePanzini

The PS5 has had a few revisions since launch the heat sink is significantly smaller. Sony built the PS5 to be as cheap as possible, if a Pro exists they would want to use the same form factor. I mean it's not gonna ship with a disk drive by the end of the year.

spacemanspiff00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By spacemanspiff00

@thepanzini: I wouldn't think the form would change much either but I just wonder if they can fit whatever they intend to do in the exact same form factor. I'm thinking it looks something like the digital model but maybe not as skinny on the one side to make some extra room so it kind of looks more like it did with the disk drive. I opted to go digital myself and I much prefer the look to the one with the disc drive.

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know that a PS5 Pro is called for yet. We are just now getting to the point of actual PS5 exclusives, and the console being more widely available over the past 6 months or so. A Pro seems like it would either not be different enough to justify turning around and dropping cash on an update, and even if it is, then to not split the userbase, most games would be aimed at the base spec version anyway, barely making a difference.

It would make sense in a normal console lifecycle now, but this time around, I think it's gotta wait another 2 years before going for the pro model. That's just my 2 cents on it, though.

But yeah, it'll be bigger. and probably boxier.

spacemanspiff00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tartyron said:

But yeah, it'll be bigger. and probably boxier.

Like a jumbo box of cereal. Jumbostation!

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

A pro right now doesn't make any sense. With the economy as it is, and the inflation making the cost of living very difficult right now, most people don't have the means to afford a regular PS5. Developers are also slowly getting away from the "there must be a PS4 version too" mindset now that the current gen consoles are becoming easier to find. So now they can fully use those consoles like they haven't before. For example, the Horizon story DLC coming out soon is a PS5 exclusive. Guerilla Games decided to fully use the PS5 like it was meant to be and not compromise for the PS4 like they did with Forbidden West.

I can see a Pro in 2025 maybe, but right now doesn't make much sense. But its funny how Sony is quick to come out with a Pro PS5, while Nintendo is dragging its feet about a new or updated Switch, even though they really need one right now. Such is life.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I can't fathom why we need a Pro version of either console. We're barely getting to games that are solely made for this generation at all. Even if that weren't the case, diminishing returns at this point meant that even if the visuals could be...three times as sharp etc, would we even notice? Seems silly.

Make one that's smaller more energy efficient, maybe with a "streaming" mode for just using Netflix, larger SSD.

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If it's going to be true, then oh boy and I guess the height wise is going to be taller than a mid-size tower PC case when it's placed vertically, meanwhile I wonder what is the Xbox Series X's high-end model size then?

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ThePanzini

Yeah I don't see what a Pro could offer other than slightly better resolution & raytracing, given the PS5's already high price I don't think either would be enough for a premium ontop.

The only avenue you could see a Pro model would be MS dire hardware situation atm, Sony could offer something that would be very costly to counter. It would be good PR for the core going into the new generation.

spacemanspiff00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By spacemanspiff00

For me I think it depends on what kind of performance were getting out of the new games. If suddenly a bunch of stuff is dipping back to 30fps, and doesn't include any modes to improve that, I might want an upgrade. Otherwise, I guess some extra on board storage would be nice. I'm not really interested in buying another external drive this generation.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ThePanzini

@spacemanspiff00: The angle where it makes sense is atm MS is losing $100-200 per box sold, with the future PS5 losing the hard drive it would effectively be a big price cut.

A Pro model could be the same price as the Series X for more performance add in the favorable exchange rate they could push the specs higher for less.

It might be too good an opportunity to pass, especially with Series X being more expensive to produce.