Please be careful with the GOTY videos

hoodcommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

In the past two years, all of the GOTY deliberations were leaked days in advance. Please make sure this doesn't happen again this year.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

My personal approach has always been to just avoid non-podcast content until I get through the deliberations.

I’d strongly suggest this approach, personally, if you want to be there for every twist and turn of the podcasts.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is such a weird thread.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Lol

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, people come to the site to watch/listen to various things.

GOTY deliberations are my favorite thing the site puts out. I enjoy the drama, the nonsense, and not knowing where it’s going until the end.

So, the deliberations, for me, are the one thing GN does that I’d like to listen to without having much spoiled on me. Something about not knowing where Saints Row vs. Skyrim, Shadow Broker vs. Minerva’s Den, etc. makes the conversations way more enjoyable.

Granted, it usually takes me until mid-January to finish, but it’s worth it to me (as it’s my favorite content the crew produces).

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I will say, I was on another forum where apparently the top 3 for GB’s best games of last year got leaked. I saw no leaks here but someone within CBSi decided to get the info out there on different video game forums to ruin the fun. Yeah I’ll probably spend more time here around GOTY time and try to avoid forums that might have those leaks pop up again.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By liquiddragon

Does it start next Monday or is it always after Christmas?

Also, OP, maybe ask like "would it be possible?" or "is there anyway?" instead of "please make sure this doesn't happen." You sound like an ass.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Hey Giant Bomb, please, and I can't stress this enough, don't fuck anything up.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@liquiddragon: I want to say its next week. They usually upload the GOTY videos on the Week of Christmas. If its in 2 weeks it'll be posted mostly next year since December 30 and 31 are on Monday and Tuesday in 2 weeks.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I asked this same question last year by wondering where would you bump into this stuff. It is obviously a shame if these leaks happen, but I guess I'm not active enough around the internet because I've never seen anything myself.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I assumed by “leaked” he maybe meant that the winners would show up in other GB content, announced as winners. I think staff picks were all out there in the holiday videos some years back...kinda a half-example...

The underworld of leaked GB content does sound funny to me.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mocbucket62: I thought the past three leaks occured because GB creates the video pages before posting them making them available to anyone who could guess the naming format and directory. I think last year they did this and when someone guessed the directory and posted it, someone at GB made it inaccessible as a means to stem the leak.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nutter: Nothing wrong with not wanting to be spoiled, I just think a forum post requesting that GB not mess up is both weird and highly unnecessary.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

This thread is a bit of a mess of misunderstandings. Previous GB GOTY content, including winners, were leaked because of what MerxWorx01 said: the staff put the videos up on the web directory, without restricting access to them, so anyone who could guess the file naming convention (which was not hard) could pull up all the videos many days before they were meant to be publicly available. OP seems to be asking the GB staff to remember to restrict access to the videos until the proper times when they're meant to go public.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By csl316

There were years where I avoided the winners and listened to the process, and other years where I knew the outcome and got to see how they got there.

Both were fun in their own ways. I say just go with the flow, and if you get spoiled then it's not the end of the world. I generally avoid spoilers and hope people are respectful in the forums and stuff. But maybe don't go in the comments sections if you're more sensitive to that.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

There were years where I avoided the winners and listened to the process, and other years where I knew the outcome and got to see how they got there.

Both were fun in their own ways. I say just go with the flow, and if you get spoiled then it's not the end of the world. I generally avoid spoilers and hope people are respectful in the forums and stuff. But maybe don't go in the comments sections if you're more sensitive to that.

Heck, the comments sections come GOTY time come with a whole mess of issues, spoilers are like the least awful of them.

But yes, I agree!

Haz_Kaj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People Watch it?

I mean cool i guess but i don't have time to sit there watching two to three 3-4 long Hour discussions. The videos are nice but never appeal to me because its just them talking

I always listen to the podcast and don't visit websites

IT appears on my Itunes and i download it daily and then just put it on in the background. I'll play it a few times over if i iss certain bits but thats the best way.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the notion that the outcome of this website's editorial discussions is considered 'leakable' information is humorous to me.

but then again, we have users in the comments of UPFs asking the site to hide the 'games played' tags so they're not 'spoiled.'

not opposed to either of these attitudes (though i can't relate)- but i think the site currently strikes a totally acceptable balance between military-grade secrecy and personal responsibility.

hoodcommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nutter No, I mean the actual deliberations and results were leaked in audio and video form almost a week in advance. People were spoiling the top 10 list by the time we were still on the third day of deliberations. That's what I'm referring to. And again, it happened two years in a row, so I think it's pretty reasonable to try to alert and prevent it from happening this year again.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hoodcommando: I’m happily ignorant here...I assume the leaks were on Twitter, Reddit, etc?

I don’t like spoilers, but I don’t use social media, reddit, etc. I tend to avoid it that way. I get that this may not be an option for everyone...

hoodcommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Correct, yes.