Now what old,obscure,system should I buy?

curlyq101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By curlyq101

I'm looking into buying some old yet slightly obscure system just to see what they have in store. So far I've shortened the list to a couple of choices...
1. Sega Nomad (This is my first choice because it's practically a portable Genesis.)
2. Sega Game Gear
3. Atari Jaguar
4. 3DO
5. Sega CD or 32x (I already have the Genesis so this is also a good pick)

And if you have one of these systems for sale then just send me a message!

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By LiquidPrince

Game gear wasn't that obscure...

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Diamond

What is your motivation for buying any of these?  If I know why you'd buy one I might be able to give you advice.  Personally I owned a Nomad (bought it cheap after the system had already basically bombed) and Game Gear, Nomad's battery pack was such a pain, and if you bumped the Genesis cart sticking out a lot of times the game would crash due to the contacts slipping in some way.

curlyq101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By curlyq101

I've always liked old systems and especially the ones that failed. Im 15 so I never got to see what the problems actually were for these systems. Its fun to experience stuff I wasn't around to see.

albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By albedos_shadow

The Microvision. It's so obscure, I refused to believe it was real when my friend said he bought one.

curlyq101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By curlyq101

Yeah Microvision pretty weird...First time I've heard of it!

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Diamond

I see.  Personally a Jaguar is something I might like to mess around with myself.  Did you ever try a Sega Saturn or Dreamcast, they might have some interesting things for you to try out.  I liked Atari Lynx and that one is way more obscure than the Game Gear.

As nostalgic as I get for these old platforms, I have almost no desire to go back and play them.

curlyq101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By curlyq101

I've owned a Dreamcast and I've played the saturn at a friends house some. I really like the dreamcast and i have been interested in the Lynx lately. It would be cool to buy a couple of them to link 'em up with friends. "Yo, the Lynx is so boss!"

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Diamond

Ohh, another one that's less obscure (but still somewhat obscure) you might want to check out is Turbo Graphix 16 and the portable version (I forget what it was called).  If you get the CD drive with it you can play the amazing Castlevania game they made for it.

curlyq101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By curlyq101

Yeah I've heard of it. I just looked it up and it looks pretty cool. The CD stuff looks interesting.

GiantGUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By GiantGUS

R-Zones are cheap.
Virtual Boys are not expensive and nice novelty to show friends, even the ones that aren't really into videogames.
Dreamcast and Saturn are not obscure, but have a ton of great games.
The PSX is an awesome obscure system that will even record TV into DVDs or its hard drive for you.
32X and Sega CD are cool to have, but not a lot of games are good. But if you enjoy obscure ridiculous shit, those FMV games on the Sega CD are a must buy.
Nomad and Game Gear are nice, but they are hella heavy and will fucking burn through tons of batteries, so they're not practical to actually play for too long.
Jaguar has almost no good games.
3DO has some cool classics, but for the most part it's not stuff that I'd see anyone playing even for nostagia's sake.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#12  Edited By Pepsiman

Gotta go with the Vectrex, yo. Those color plastic overlays make it a real classy system.

DXSSI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DXSSI

If I was going to buy an old, obscure system, it wouldn't be one which is simply compatible with games I already own.  How many times, really, do you see yourself out and about with your Sega Nomad?  Or sitting at home, letting it guzzle batteries while you play on a tiny screen, when a bigger one is so nearby?  If the answer is "a lot", sure, buy the Nomad.

For my money, it would be either the Sega CD or the 32X (pending price, availability of titles and their prices) as I can think of several titles that were produced for those that I've love to own a copy of.  None of the other systems particular intrigue me, although I know I could find a few good games worth owning.

curlyq101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By curlyq101
Pepsiman said:
"Gotta go with the Vectrex, yo. Those color plastic overlays make it a real classy system."

Man, the first time I saw a Vectrex I almost died laughing!
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By keyhunter

Get your self one of those fancy old MAGNAVOX consoles. Don't worry, it works for non MAGNAVOX TV's too...

curlyq101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By curlyq101

Yeah, I've always wanted a Magnavox. Wasn't that considered the first widely marketable home console?

shambles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By shambles

panasonic 3DO.. get the Road Rash game aswell... great game.. probably still to this day...

vill4no

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By vill4no
Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Captain_Fookup

Get a Pippin bro.

GiantGUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By GiantGUS
Captain_Fookup said:
"Get a Pippin bro."
Woah! Calm down dude, no need to be name dropping that stuff. The next thing you know we will all be talking Wonderswan here.
lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By lebkin
Diamond said:
"Ohh, another one that's less obscure (but still somewhat obscure) you might want to check out is Turbo Graphix 16 and the portable version (I forget what it was called).  If you get the CD drive with it you can play the amazing Castlevania game they made for it."
The TurboGrafx-16 is a great system.  The portable system was the TurboExpress that played the exact same games, with a color screen.  Needless to say, it ate batteries like crazy.  Definitely worth looking up.  It had some great games.
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Why don't you just look at getting an emulator?  You should find better things to spend your money on, like buying a game (used or new) for the current console or PC. Or just saving it for something that comes out later.

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By super_machine

The nomad is pretty sweet, but the screen quality is pretty bad. It also sucks down a lot of batteries.