New gaming TV

lukos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Hi everyone, I'm thinking about buying a new gaming TV mine is very old (2007) I'm in need of a good upgrade. From what I've researched the LG OLED TVs are the best option on the market now but I remember that on a podcast @brad talked about waiting for some technology before upgrading his TV, does anyone remember this?

What are your suggestions for a new gaming TV, should I buy now or wait for an upcoming tech?

Thanks for your help!

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#2  Edited By isomeri

I just got an LG C9 and am extremely happy with it. I don't remember what technology Brad was talking about, but HDMI 2.1 is the big thing you want to look for. It basically allows for 4K/120fps, free sync, lower latency and other stuff that the upcoming consoles will support.

Very few models have HDMI 2.1 now, but the LG OLED models from last year and this year do.

doerr007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've been happy with my B9 had it for a month or so. The only thing with OLED is the potential of burn-in. SAMSUNG also makes some good tvs for gaming.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By csl316

I got an LG OLED B6 a few years ago, and it's fantastic. But I tweaked it's settings for about a month before I got the perfect image. If you set it up properly, the lag isn't noticeable at all. Good smart TV stuff, seems ok on energy costs, plenty of HDMI ports (though I don't believe they're 2.1, I'd have to check). I'm sure they've improved since then, too.

I suppose you can get a TV with 8k and more future-proofing features, but I feel like a 4K OLED is gonna cost you far less and it'll look damn good for a decade or so. Granted, I haven't seen anything in 8k yet but my understanding is that higher resolutions at this point are going to be far less perceptible to the human eye. At some point you just gotta stop waiting for the future and dive in. I played on a 720p TV for a dozen years and it was fine, but I probably should've upgraded in the middle there at some point.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: I've looked at a few 8K screens. They're nice, but I'd much rather take OLED at 4K than LCD at 8K unless you're talking about a screen bigger than 80". The resolution difference is really only noticeable on extremely large screens or when sitting very close to the screen. And with decent 4K content still hard to come by, I can't imagine when we'll be seeing consoles doing 8K 60fps or even high bit-rate video at that resolution.

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By north6

@lukos said:

Hi everyone, I'm thinking about buying a new gaming TV mine is very old (2007) I'm in need of a good upgrade. From what I've researched the LG OLED TVs are the best option on the market now but I remember that on a podcast @brad talked about waiting for some technology before upgrading his TV, does anyone remember this?

What are your suggestions for a new gaming TV, should I buy now or wait for an upcoming tech?

Thanks for your help!

I have a LG b9, it's great. They also fixed the lag introduced in HDR modes that people were complaining about a few years ago as well (I had a c6 previously, it was real. Burn-in was also real, we'll see if this is fixed). I didn't hear what he's referring to, but the next technology is QD-OLED. That's brand new tech that will be real expensive when it comes out though. If you're going from 2007 to a 2019 or 2020 era OLED, your mind will be blown.

I wouldn't fuck with 8k. If you stream even in 4k, usually a 1080p bluray looks better than a 4k stream. In reality its well implemented HDR and the OLED tech that makes the biggest difference, not pure resolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTTiQeXXrhI

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I use https://www.rtings.com/ to see what is best. And the answer this is pretty much what people said above - LG B9 OLED.

If you need the TV now then that is likely the best best, bets bang for the buck you can buy currently. If you can wait, there is other tech coming out every year. If you are buying now, then consider the LG B9 OLED. That is, if you have $1,300 burning a hole in your pocket. ;-)

OtterChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was looking for a 55" LG C9 for the full range of HDMI 2.1 (the newer CX (i.e. C10) supports 40 gbit/sec vs the 48 gbit/sec on the -9 model HDMI ports, will this make a difference? Nobody knows yet as no 2.1 systems or video cards are out at the moment). I couldn't find any 55" C9's in stock and almost decided to get the CX and deal with the probably no big deal downgrade to the HDMI but then for the price of the CX (about $1700 usd) I found an E9 in stock on Amazon, has the good ports and same picture as the C9 but a better speaker solution which wasn't a deal maker for me but hey I'd rather have the -9 series TV and the better sound at the same price as the CX. LG is the only one that I know of that have HDMI 2.1 on all 4 ports, other brands may only have one 2.1 port so if that may be an issue it is good to know ahead of buying. My E9 arrives tomorrow I hope.

doerr007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah the b9 has the full 2.1 the CX is kinda of a step down in that department from everything I saw/read.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doerr007: @otterchaos: The X-series seems to have some improvements for movie use, but slight downgrades for gaming. I'd try to find a cheap C9, B9, E9 etc. if they're still in stock.

ObiKwiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I've had an LG B7 OLED for a couple of years now and I couldn't be happier with it. The one possible drawback is cost. You can get a 4k tv for much cheaper, but for me, its WELL worth the money for how fantastic the image quality is.

JonRambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got a new TV in 2018 and ended up going with the Sony X900E servies TV. It's awesome. OLED was still quite a bit more at that time, and from my research I chose that. I've been very happy with it. If you don't go OLED, I'd look into them.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You'll need HDMI 21. for some of the fancy features like high refresh rates. It remains to be seen exactly what kind of FPS the new consoles will actually send out though.

I personally am waiting until next year to see what comes out of CES. Hopefully we'll see some price drops.

dsjwetrwete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By dsjwetrwete

From what I recall, burn-in is cumulative and inevitable (although keeping the same image on the screen for a consecutive period is worse than breaking it up because of systems the display has in place). I'm very close to picking up an LG CX 48" because it'll be my new PC monitor (I don't do much work on it, just consume media) but it's sold out and because it's $1600. My current monitor is over five years old and cost me a few hundred. EDIT: I should mention that LG apparently warranties burn-in for up to four years, you just have to show them proof and they'll replace the panel.

That said, I've used OLED tablets and there are trade-offs. There's potential for a yellow/red/etc. tint over parts of the display and you'll have some level of gray uniformity issues. (Google "oled gray uniformity" to see what I mean) Coming from an IPS tablet, it wasn't all that incredible. My Galaxy Tab had a yellow tint over where people's faces normally appear.

lukos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Thank you all for your replies.

After all that was said I decided to get a B9 or C9.