DivineKataroshie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DivineKataroshie

Hello!

So, for my research, I need to find a game, that went through development issues and was redirected to another company or changed entire development teams. I remember a couple, where the first part of the game was completed by one team, and the whole ending by another company, because of this it flopped financially and had bad reviews. Unfortunately, I do not remember specific names :/ I think it was one of the deus ex games, but I'm not entirely sure.

Any titles would be appreciated!

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Ry_Ry

I know Deus Ex Human Revolution had some interesting issues around the boss fights being developed separately from the main game. I'm not sure if that's what you're referring to or not. However, Duke Nukem Forever is kind of the pristine example of what you're looking for. Development started by 3D Realms and then eventually sold to Gearbox who finished off development.

Other notable examples that I can think of would be:
the last chapter of The Walking Dead going from Telltale to Skybound
Tomb Raider being worked on by both Crystal Dynamics and Eidos
Disney Infinity had a large number of different teams working on different aspects of the game

Goboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

• Final Fantasy VII Remake started with CyberConnect 2 before shifting to in-house development at Square Enix 2 years prior to it's release.
  • Duke Nukem Forever went to Gearbox after a legal dispute between 3DRealms and Take Two over development.
  • Prey 2 was being developed by Bethesda before switching internally to Arkane and dropping the 2.
TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sledgehammer and Ravensoft got booted from Call of Duty because they couldn't work together nicely.

I actually don't know if the game has even come out yet. They call the game "Call of Duty 2020." I thought there already was a CoD release this year, but I admit to finding the release conventions of that series hopelessly confusing. I guess fans of the series are capable of distinguishing between the multiple sub-labels. To me, it looks like exactly the same game.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@therealturk: You might be thinking of CoD Warzone, the free-to-play battle royale that came out earlier this year. The "proper" yearly released game comes out in the fall.

jamesyfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about.. Thrill Kill was being developed by Virgin Interactive, which got acquired by EA - and when they saw the project they cancelled it outright. The game never made it out but the tech was used for a bunch of later games.

Not quite what you're after but interesting.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Wasn't Sleeping Dogs passed around a lot?

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#8 fisk0  Moderator

There was a PS2 era Deus Ex game that had issues during development and ended up being published without the Deus Ex branding, Project Snowblind. On a similar note, there have been many attempts at making System Shock 3 over the years, and Dead Space was one of them.

The first Fallout game also went through some stuff, starting off as a Wasteland game, then briefly had the GURPS license before they created their own SPECIAL system for it.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By BisonHero

Metroid Prime 4 is one of these as well, similar to Final Fantasy 7 Remake. However, Metroid Prime 4 hasn’t been officially released or even shown. For background, it was announced during E3 2017, developed by unspecified studio that was reportedly Bandai Namco. Then in January 2019 they announced development had been restarted and Retro Studios is now the developer.

Starcraft: Ghost had similar troubles, but it was ultimately canceled and reliable development info is quite scarce as I understand it. Originally developer was Nihilistic Software, then it was passed to Swingin’ Ape Studios before being indefinitely postponed.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

Metal Gear Solid: Rising was initially being made by Kojima Productions, but development ran into major issues leading to the project being handed over to Platinum Games and ultimately released as Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.