Josef Fares made a complete fool of himself at The Game Awards and people are praising him for it?

• 139 results
Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@elmorales94: The problem isn't just that this show has advertisements. It's that the commercials are directly advertising the games being awarded, and in many cases those those games are put on sale on multiple platforms. It would be like the Oscars announcing the nominees for Best Picture, then the host telling the audience that they can go order the movie from Amazon for $5 off. It harms the perception of the legitimacy of the awards being given.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

I mean, did he make a fool of himself? Sure. Keighley has been working hard to make TGA the Oscar equivalent of video games and has made some improvements overtime to make the show worthwhile. I felt bad for him when Fares was cussing and ranting because you can tell he was uncomfortable with that coming out of nowhere. It came off as unprofessional and is the opposite of what Keighley wants his show to be.

Was it entertaining? Yes. Fares telling the Oscars to go f themselves was sort of like a wrestling promo, much like what Austin Walker pointed out in the Waypoint stream. Also the random rant on EA was pretty funny, but I hope he still has a position with them after that.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@flstyle said:
@penkaizen said:

If he derailed and fucked up the turbo cringe show that is the VGA's then well done to him.

@shiftygism said:

I don't care about the VGA's...like at all...and probably never will, don't consider this guy some newly appointed role model or hero of mine, but found the clip as entertaining as some of those unfiltered moments that occasionally or in some cases always happen during Giant Biomb's E3 aftershow....and while it was indeed a little cringey, the Oscars definitely need to get fucked. I doubt I have the same reasoning behind that statement though.

@geirr said:

He's a passionate man.

Also the VGAs are still broken and needs further patching.

People... the Spike VGAs have been dead since 2013, stop it.

The Spi.. what?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@iamjohn: The people that know Breath of the Wild won will know, just like the people that read in depth editorials from people like Austin Walker are aware of that level of writing. It's unfair to judge that more specialized knowledge against the mainstream popularity of a trailer that will disseminate across YouTube like wild fire. How many people read that huge story about the closure of Visceral against the amount of people that some trite listicle about the top 10 games of the year. Have you visited the comments sections of most video game website or lord forbid YouTube? The sad reality is that people like you, me and many on these forum, people who have an indepth knowledge of the industry and talk about it in an above average manner are in a vast minority compared to the casual gamers out there that have no idea who Hideo Kojima is and race to the comments to write some fanboy, console war nonsense typically tinged with some homophobic/racist/sexist slurs on top. Also I disagree with your sentiment that they give absolutely zero respect to the show itself, but that of course is your opinion against mine so I don't really see much sense in going at it. I think Geoff is doing an admirable job at trying to make this thing work while having to deal with real life logistics. Each year these awards keep getting better, and I believe they will continue to evolve and grow in a positive way. Using mic time to sneak in a soap box diatribe about the industry is something that has forever been lame, be it at the Oscars or the VGA's. This isn't the time and place for this sort of stuff and it shouldn't be encouraged or excused. It's certainly not helping make the show any better.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People... the Spike VGAs have been dead since 2013, stop it.

Thaaaank you.

Good to see at least half of you agree with me

Also, not even gonna reply to whoever asked "Are you that sensitive?" good lord.

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@iamjohn: The people that know Breath of the Wild won will know, just like the people that read in depth editorials from people like Austin Walker are aware of that level of writing. It's unfair to judge that more specialized knowledge against the mainstream popularity of a trailer that will disseminate across YouTube like wild fire. How many people read that huge story about the closure of Visceral against the amount of people that some trite listicle about the top 10 games of the year. Have you visited the comments sections of most video game website or lord forbid YouTube? The sad reality is that people like you, me and many on these forum, people who have an indepth knowledge of the industry and talk about it in an above average manner are in a vast minority compared to the casual gamers out there that have no idea who Hideo Kojima is and race to the comments to write some fanboy, console war nonsense typically tinged with some homophobic/racist/sexist slurs on top. Also I disagree with your sentiment that they give absolutely zero respect to the show itself, but that of course is your opinion against mine so I don't really see much sense in going at it. I think Geoff is doing an admirable job at trying to make this thing work while having to deal with real life logistics. Each year these awards keep getting better, and I believe they will continue to evolve and grow in a positive way. Using mic time to sneak in a soap box diatribe about the industry is something that has forever been lame, be it at the Oscars or the VGA's. This isn't the time and place for this sort of stuff and it shouldn't be encouraged or excused. It's certainly not helping make the show any better.

This is a pretty well made post. I tend to agree with a lot of your analysis, however I don't really think you can fault the internet for reacting. While I do agree that dumb behavior at a award show shouldn't be encouraged, I don't think it needs to be excused. It happened. I also share the sentiments that Geoff and crew have been doing a good job making The Game Awards more and more of a solid affair. But I also acknowledge that the dudebro mentality is prevalent in games, and if you give those guys microphones they are probably going to say something stupid. Watch the segment, even though Geoff tries to get it back on track a few times, when Josef asks him if he can curse, Geoff tells him to go ahead. He gives him the green light. That didn't feel disrespectful to the integrity of the show for me, just your typical awkward cringe that I'm sure Geoff may consider who he lets speak and how in the future. But it's not like this somehow existing destroys the integrity of the awards show.

But I also think that TGA can't have it both ways. Geoff often tries to do that. Trailers for big games, game reveals, bringing on celebrities (which have gotten better or more game focused over the years). But they combine that with this show that is supposed to be about the devs, and the type of thing where they can have their family attend or watch to be like "hey look I do this think that is kind of professional and I'm good at it." But nobody forces Geoff to invite the other aspects of the gaming community to the show. He puts things on their to cater to them, which means they watch, and their reactions and thoughts have to be brought into the conversation as well. It's as @iamjohn was saying, they don't show teaser trailers for big budget AAA movies at the Oscars.

Ultimately I'm all for if the developers want a closed conference to honor their hard work and sacrifice in an adult and professional way. However, that doesn't change the fact that some people think awards shows by nature are stupid. Those people are entitled to those opinions. If TGA wasn't spending half the show trying to cater to those people and get their views, you probably wouldn't see this stuff ever happen. But conversely nobody would probably talk about the TGA either right? You acknowledge that in your post, casuals react. I just think the devs and the people who wish to see them honored for what they do effectively, need to take a breath and ignore the other dumb bullshit. It exists. So what. So to does Ed Boon coming out and giving a great speech or a number of other legitimate non cringe worthy moments. Why can't it all exists together?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

He's a passionate guy.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@devise22: I think they are just different types of shows. They're both award type affairs obviously but I've always been of the mind that people need to stop measuring the gaming industry up to the movie industry. Let games be their own thing. E3 has been the staple of video games for years now, and trailers and reveals have become almost synonymous with any type of large scale video game event. As a fan of gaming I absolutely love big reveal trailers. I don't think watching a Death Stranding trailer cheapened the award that preceded or followed it. For me it was mostly an intermission where I got to see an industry veteran I enjoy come up on stage and show off a project he is passionate about. Thats great. The Oscars are a drawn out, quite boring affair, and this is why people love it when actors or directors go on insane rants because nothing else is happening otherwise. The VGA's approach to add a little bit of flair, through the actors, the musical acts and the trailers, is a good way to break up the monotony of sitting there and watching person after person go up to the mic and say how honored they are to be receiving the award. Those moments are also nice, but I enjoy a break from it once in a while.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#109  Edited By Onemanarmyy

I don't understand why people think EA would have a problem with him. He said they fucked up, like all publishers do occasionally. But he also gave them credit for being good to his studio and making it possible for him and his team to create the game exactly how they want to make it. EA already admitted they fucked up (We're sorry... ) so that entire message seems fine to me. At this point i think that A Way Out has reached more people's brains than that other Indie EA game. Fe? I only remembered it because of those marketing slides. So i think this appearance was very valuable for all parties involved in A Way Out.

Especially now that people are upset at EA, it's important to emphasize that Hazelight is making this game and not EA. You don't want to have a disappointing 2nd game due to factors outside of your control.

Dryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was it unprofessional? Yes. Was it disrespectful? Not necessarily. I've always considered honesty the highest form of respect, even if it offends. Was it harmful to the Game Awards? I hope not. Moments like this are what keep things alive and interesting. Although, if every guest acted like this, it would get old. But that wasn't the case. I don't think this guy planned it the way it occurred, it just happened that way. Honesty. I believe he was genuinely stoked to be where he was, an I can get behind that. I completely understand those who would be against it, but that's why so much out there is so boring, so safe. I'd argue that Giant Bomb is more boring nowadays because they're safer than they were back in the Whiskey Media basement days, but I'm sure they have to be while under CBS (Although, to be fair, they had the Impresario of Video Games, Ryan Davis, during the basement days).

Welding

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Welding

Chest thumping about how great games are and yelling fuck the Oscars totally discredits the argument that games themselves have merit.

In that way I think figures like him are not what the games industry needs for ambassadors. Rather it needs people that already live their lives assuming games have merit in and of themselves, and do not need to yell about the movie industry to prove their point.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frostyryan said:
@wheresderrick said:

It's because he spoke like an actual human being

He spoke like a human being who was on coke.

The nominees who accepted their awards spoke like human beings. Many of the guests spoke like human beings without throwing coked out temper tantrums. What kind of human beings do you talk to?

Yes, a very excited human being. He was very similar back at the E3 reveal. Like I said, he didn't sound like yet another company shill and spoke his mind, whether it was sober/smart or not, and it paid off.

He shilled his ass off for EA, just with a lot more swearing than you'd expect.

Dryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wheresderrick said:

The nominees who accepted their awards spoke like human beings. Many of the guests spoke like human beings without throwing coked out temper tantrums. What kind of human beings do you talk to?

You mustn't know very many Italians.

Dryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ultimately, I say, enjoy it while you can because eventually the Game Awards (or some other similar show) will be too mainstream (like the Oscars) for moments like this. These are the exciting times. And, yes, fuck the Oscars, and EA's use of loot boxes (there are better ways).

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#115  Edited By Dan_CiTi

It was a light-hearted joke, especially in light of recently what has been going on with EA this year. I mean, he's not some fucking messiah but it was pretty funny, and it is an award show and those are essentially inherently stupid.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Almost as awkward as this gem:

Loading Video...

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

I'm not entirely sure this is something to get worked up over. I thought it was funny and a genuinely real moment. Maybe a little obnoxious, but Josef Fares doesn't strike me as someone who's actually an asshole and purposely does things at the detriment of others or to blow up someone's spot. After this, I know I'd definitely like to have a few drinks with him. I did feel a little bad for Geoff trying to get the train back on the rails, but it made for an entertaining show if nothing else.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seemed pretty egotistical honestly. You can make digs about the state of the games industry, and you can compliment the show you are on, but everything the guy was saying felt bitter and self important. He's talking about how it's his moment, but I could understand that if perhaps it was his acceptance speech for winning an award. He's supposed to be there to show off the game he and his team made, but somehow made the whole thing about just himself.

Geoff could have done more to cut it short, but ultimately it was on this dude for making an ass of himself while trying to be the center of attention. There are ways to be interesting, energetic and genuine while still having some semblance of manners.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#119  Edited By TheWildCard

Guy comes off as a complete asshat and would be obnoxious to work with. No the show doesn't need to become as stuffy as the Oscars are but doesn't excuse being disrespectful toward them, which just comes across as insecure more than anything. It takes a good bit of cluelessness to say "Fuck the Oscars" while appearing on an award show that has become more Oscar-like in recent years (and is better for it).

MostlySquares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By MostlySquares

I didn't find the show all that cringy, but this dude.. ohboy.. had to put him on mute. I am cringe sensitive, and it just lingers with me for days. This guy....oh man... So much coke for someone who never had coke before and didn't know how to compensate for the drastic change in personality.

Some people should stay sober. Everyone should stay semi sober if they have to address a fricken camera.. This wasn't a great promo for a game I can't even remember the trailer for..

borealum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He has a right to speak his mind, of course, but at the end of the day (or night, I suppose), it's a drunk/high guy ranting on stage about commonly-held opinions on the games industry at present. There's nothing brave, insightful, 'legend'-ary or 'hero'-ic about anything he said, or in what he did. If these are some people's standards for those things...my word, they need to expand their minds.

And I'm sure the rest of the team working on the game love him for doing this. /s

Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because more than ever, it's about taking sides and championing people who are on yours.
If you look at any facet of (mostly) American culture or politics right now, you'll see that it's all about having opinions that "your side" agrees with so you'll get praised out of the wazoo.

Be it around Trump, feminism, free speech or anything today really, it's about labeling somebody "the other side/team" and then just going to town on them while celebrating people who regurgitate the same shit everyone else is.
I think that's a direct effect of the internet on the world at large, because I think it was first felt there but through the years it slowly bled out into the media and then into the real (offline) world.
That's the main reason there is no more normal discourse or debate and that everything will inevitably go to hell.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Man, people are making way way too big of a deal out of this.

He's not some hero of the people nor is what he did some gross travesty.

It was awkward, inappropriate, pretty stupid and frankly pretty amusing in my opinion. I admit I laughed a lot, never imagined it would become so polarizing. Makes me wonder how some cringey/gaffe moments of E3 of a just a few years ago would be received today.

I mean how can people hate something that gave us gems like this

and if anybody is seriously worried about the impact on the Game Awards, a couple points. I seriously doubt Fares will ever be given a mic at the event ever again. Furthermore what does it say about the people you are seeking validation from, if a moment, that is clearly not what the showrunners intended, is worth condemning an entire medium/industry in their mind?

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mountains, mole hills.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@suntoria said:

I hear you. Back at E3 I really liked the guy. He was clearly very excited and proud of his game and it showed! Now he was just obnoxious...

I know!! I wanna make it clear I'm not saying I dislike him as a person,

Really? Because you've just thrown numerous drug accusations at him.

SharkMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

he is getting praise? I just thought it was a hilarious trainwreck of a drunk dude.

EricSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frostyryan: Honestly, this whole thing makes me think more than anything else you have no idea what coke actually does to a person. He was acting more like a rambling slightly drunk dude than anything else.

And the VGAs are still cringey as fuck. Just now it's with their garbage ad placements, shilling, and still trying to claim it's about awards when that is not the case.

And Geoff doesn't pay out of pocket, he isn't a moron, he gets sponsors, hence the cringe.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#128  Edited By monkeyking1969

The Internet is a place where when a small subsets of people all pushing one way can make something small look big, can making something farcical seem important.

To be honest, I think there is a subset of people who liked or enjoyed Josef Fares going off the rails. The people talking & pushing forward the "Josef Fares meme" like that he negged on some topical issues - they do not give two shit about his game. Most people that cared about that game just feel embarrassed for him putting himself drunkenly out there.

I want to play his game and I hope his babbling won't make his game a joke, the rest of the people at Hazelight Studios don't need this.

jmdoane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By jmdoane

I had never heard of this guy until he did an interview on one of the podcasts I listen to (Game informer maybe? Or was it this one?) and he came off like a complete asshat. I remember he described his new game and then said "Why aren't other developers making games like this? Are they stupid?".

I thought Two Sons was completely overrated, finished it and never thought about it again, and I have absolutely zero interest in whatever his new game is.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@dartell said:

"Jet-Lagged"

I showed this to my friend who works in film and TV production and I got the following response which I think was funny.

"I'm not sure Oscars can fuck themselves. Like, I'm not sure that's technically possible

Is this guy really a developer?

What did he develop?

He looks like he developed a drug problem"

lol! I believe this gentlemen is what Hollywood calls 'tired and emotional'.

Nymphonomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wheresderrick said:

Loading Video...

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Turambar

Honestly, I find people that are praising him for sticking it to something "phony" and "corporate" to be far more disappointing. Regardless of your opinion of award shows, and this one in particular, have you never been to an event that requires a certain level of professionalism and decorum? Do you really think it's ok to agree to those expectations and then act like an ass?

Grow up.

DarlingDixie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By DarlingDixie

A bunch of people in here overreacting. I was expecting so much worse than what I just watched.

But after seeing the vitriol about Hideo Kojima in the recent Beastcast comments, I don't know why I'm surprised.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

It's weird, seeing how much in common the language in these comments reflects how Trump supporters talk about Trump. Acting like an asshole = being genuine these days apparently.

Aviont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brendan: I agree with you, after reading up to here the amount of people going "he's an asshole! What a prick! But that was funny, keep going good sir, I shall be entertained" is really.... Scary. Reminds me of the Jeff Jeffries joke about how if you think "he tells it like it is" is a positive trait... Then you're an idiot, and I think a lot of people don't know they're idiots. Being thoughtful about how you speak and act is just sooooo boring, and makes everyone feel like shills. If they aren't rude, obtrusive, and almost borderline psychotic it ain't true feeling!

WetRacoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donchipotle said:

Because someone going "Microtransactions are bad" and saying "Fuck" are all it takes for many people on the internet to be like "HE GETS IT, HE'S LIKE US, WHAT A LEGEND HAHA FUCKING EA RIGHT?"

Exactly. That segment looked like a train wreck. People are dumb

This.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I dunno...dude seemed super excited and didn't exactly freak out on a prestigious stage.

I grew up watching stuff like that on the old 80s-early 90s video music awards. It seemed setting-appropriate enough then and this does now.

The Game Awards is an informercial. It's a program dedicated to hocking games, accessories, and Chicken McNuggets.

If they got the backing to make it more respectable and to place the focus squarely on achievers and achievement, there wouldn't be a place for this. But right now, it's some carny shit. Until it's not, I'm fine with dudes freaking out the establishment...man.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The whole thing seems incredibly stupid when you google him and see "Josef Fares is a Lebanese film director" at which point it makes him look like a jilted lover, even more so when it turns out one of his movies was put up by Sweden for an award but it failed to get through nominations.

DarlingDixie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nutter said:

The Game Awards is an informercial. It's a program dedicated to hocking games, accessories, and Chicken McNuggets.

Don't forget wheeling out the eBay deals lady every 20 minutes

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesus_phish: For what it's worth he is a very famous director in his home country of Sweden. Awards or not he is very acclaimed and beloved. Maybe not so much now but for sure in the early to mid 2000's, especially with his comedy films. Maybe he saw more potential with dramatic storytelling in games.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Yeah, the idea that they had to boot the guy off-stage to gin-up some more eBay sales is slightly infuriating.

Here was a guy, love him or hate him, with something to say that wasn't on a teleprompter or a cell phone.

He was excited and energized, and I'd have gladly listen to him rant longer about something he was passionate about...but, instead I got to fast-forward through some ads...I get it, bills to pay...

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Jesus_Phish

@boonsong: Which just makes it sound all the more like he's jilted over an Oscar. The whole thing comes off as "Fuck that other industry that wouldn't fully recognize my genius, I don't need them anymore!"