It's times like these that I can't help but wonder what Ryan Davis would do if he was still here.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

smeffw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Jeff and Ryan started Giant Bomb all those years ago and surprisingly or unsurprisingly we are all still fans of what they created. Just like most of you my heart broke a little when I heard the news of Vinny, Alex and Brad leaving. I've been listening to these guys since the Gamespot days and it feels kind of surreal to know that they aren't moving forward with Giant Bomb. I just wonder if Ryan was still around what things would be like? What would he and Jeff do to change the site moving forward? I bet it would be amazing and weird and funny and entertaining if nothing else.

Although we are losing some of the Giant Bomb that the we love I hope that we get something new that's just as amazing. I'm definitely going to stick around to see what they do next and I hope everyone does too.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything about this site would be different if Ryan had not passed. It's a butterfly effect type thing. Impossible to imagine all the ways it would have reverberated throughout the years. If Jeff has always been the brains behind Giant Bomb then Ryan was in many ways the beating heart. Certainly of the Bombcast. Not to say that the things that they did after lacked heart or that they haven't done amazing work and put together fantastic Bombcasts since he passed, but it's all been different than it was when he was alive.

It's like AC/DC after Bon Scott died. They made great albums before and they made great albums after, but they were different albums, and you can't really ask what their career would have been if he'd lived because it would have been different in so many ways.

GameRoulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe they would have actually lived that "move to Ohio where everything is cheaper" fantasy.

Perhaps they would have pioneered the streamer house concept?

It's hard for me to imagine a scenario where Ryan would have given his blessing to semi-returning to Gamespot.

Or maybe he would have? Maybe he would have found the whole thing funny. Ryan was able to find the funny in lots of things.

It is interesting to speculate on, though.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By bybeach

Since Ryan was his own man, it is hard for me to project upon him how things would go, and his reactions to to it all. I would suspect he would be more politically incorrect than others, giving as good as he got or more, seemed his nature. On the other hand, he practically championed Pat Klepak back in the day. They seemed to have a friendship right off the bat (or knife).

So who am I to say? But like most others, I miss him.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By vaiz

@gameroulette said:
It's hard for me to imagine a scenario where Ryan would have given his blessing to semi-returning to Gamespot.

Or maybe he would have? Maybe he would have found the whole thing funny. Ryan was able to find the funny in lots of things.

The CBSi purchase/Gamespot return thing happened in 2012 and Ryan passed in 2013, so I'm willing to bet he was fine with it.

(To be fair, I had to check the timeline to make sure I wasn't getting my dates confused.)

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#7 FinalDasa  Moderator

Let's just not speculate about this.

Ryan is sorely missed. For us, he was a warm, entertaining, and loveable man but for the staff of GB he was their coworker and friend. So let's not speculate on what someone we didn't personally know and who is no longer with us would want/desire.