Into CosPlay? Making or wearing costumes - Do you do it?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

Edited By monkeyking1969

Poll Into CosPlay? Making or wearing costumes - Do you do it? (20 votes)

I have made costumes 20%
I have made really bad costumes 20%
What? No, I want to, but have not yet 20%
No way, too much work! 25%
I think cosplay is dumb 5%
Let's see results 10%

I ahev never been against costumes, I dress up for Halloween from age four to age twelve. And four years ago I made a First Order Storm Trooper Hlement and blaster and fakes enough of a costume around that to wear it out.

But over the least four years of going to comic book and sci-fi conventions I really want to make a real costume. I mean research and hand-build a costume. I lwill hand sew and machine sew many pieces, but I will likely have to buy and pull apart some leather cuirass pieces of armor, cutting and shaping of the leather woudl require expensive tools is out of my wheelhouse.

No Caption Provided

But I do have to costume make what I want because you simply cannot buy what I am hoping to create.

The helmet is actually within my grasp to make with a 3D printer...and hundreds of hours of glueing, saning painting, etc. I will have to buy horse hair or find a suitable artificial substitute.

Fabric, leather, that a bit harder for me because that is where I lack skills. I have some sewing patterns for the under garments (yes, I building custom underwear) and tunic. That sandals I might be able to buy and modify; but armor, helmet, and tunic I will have to make.

I say I am going to do all this stuff....but I am scared!. I'm very lazy or rather I'm a perfectionist so I make a lot of excuses about why "tomorrow" would be a better day to start something. But I REALLY want to do this and ist amount to a 'passion project' for me. I plan the costume in two reeditions. In 350 days I need to have "version one" of the costume ready for Boston FanExpo 2023. In a year later, I want version 2 ready that will be totally cinema accurate.

[The picture does not even show the biggest prop I will be making and ist hints at the character I am playing. Its a dumb desire as a novice but I want to make a "movie accurate" costume that has a tone of detail that dopes not show up in that small picture - knitting, bead-work, dying, and aging of the materials to make it cinema accurate for judging.

I think I can do it! I know I will mess-up, but I still think my plan is solid.

• 
judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Sounds ambitious. Even if you never pull this off, I'll still give you some props for trying.

Years ago I learned to sew and made a Jawa costume from Star Wars. It was sloppy, but with a few safety pins I was able to make it fit well enough to survive a Halloween party. Was hoping to keep practicing and get better, but that was the only thing I ever ended up making.

ArmoredMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to but haven't tried yet... OwO.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@judaspete: I applauded that because I know just starting and bringing something over the finish line is a big deal.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

I once cosplayed as Waluigi, with full makeup, and struck up a conversation Gary Whitta while still in full dress.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One thing I think I have gleaned is that the type of ancient Hoplite armor I am trying to make should be worn. It like new pair ow shoes, if I make ist and only wear it once or twice before showing ist off it will be uncomfortable and will not "fit right" until broken in.

While my though was to sew the tunic and undergarments' first and make teh armor later, I think I need to make the armor firs. I cna then wear it in while I fine-tune it to fit.

No Caption Provided

Second I think I found teh site I need for what they arms should ACTULLY look like. http://www.lloydianaspects.co.uk/armourMaking/hopliteMaking.html

Step one will actully be to make the armor in cardboard to get the size, shape and fit correct. So in fact before I even make the armor I will make a Halloween set of armor made of cardboard and duct tape. Even just saying that makes a whole lot of sense, right? A wearable prototype that needs to be made by Oct 31st seems so logical.

ArmoredMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One thing I think I have gleaned is that the type of ancient Hoplite armor I am trying to make should be worn. It like new pair ow shoes, if I make ist and only wear it once or twice before showing ist off it will be uncomfortable and will not "fit right" until broken in.

While my though was to sew the tunic and undergarments' first and make teh armor later, I think I need to make the armor firs. I cna then wear it in while I fine-tune it to fit.

No Caption Provided

Second I think I found teh site I need for what they arms should ACTULLY look like. http://www.lloydianaspects.co.uk/armourMaking/hopliteMaking.html

Step one will actully be to make the armor in cardboard to get the size, shape and fit correct. So in fact before I even make the armor I will make a Halloween set of armor made of cardboard and duct tape. Even just saying that makes a whole lot of sense, right? A wearable prototype that needs to be made by Oct 31st seems so logical.

Nice, WHEN, you actually succeed (not if hopefully) in completing this cosplay armor of yours, it will be worth the effort, even if it's not perfect, because you'll have gained an IRL achievement. 😋

No Caption Provided

Also, just in case I've seen many people go and make and ceaft their cosplay stuff, and there was this totally riducolus video I watched the other day, that you might get a laugh out of. 😉

it's a dude that crafted an impractical Genshin Impact weapon, and also got the costume along with it. 😋

Loading Video...

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have been going to a anime, scifi, comics convention in New England since 2015 and every year that amount of attendants showing up in cosplays has increased at a geometric rate. I truly think that is a good thing, because it takes conventions from a passive to a participatory events. So many kids come in consumes now, they are often "off the rack" costumes, but it is interesting those think that, integral to their 'con experience', is cosplay.

ArmoredMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have been going to a anime, scifi, comics convention in New England since 2015 and every year that amount of attendants showing up in cosplays has increased at a geometric rate. I truly think that is a good thing, because it takes conventions from a passive to a participatory events. So many kids come in consumes now, they are often "off the rack" costumes, but it is interesting those think that, integral to their 'con experience', is cosplay.

Nice. well, even if it IS "off the rack" costumes, someday, these kids might evolve into crafting custom gear of their own.
And conventions are the best place to show those off. 😁

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@armoredmachine: Oh, I think for the kids getting "off the rack" is the way to go for sure and their are now so many options! I want them to dress up and feel like they are participating - showing off their fandom. As a kid...being in a costume is fun and imaginative.

If I were a parent and my kids just started to get into sci-fi, fantasy, super heros, anime, comic books, etc I would scour the sales floor first thing to have use "both" find a costume they would like to have. And, that costume can get a ton of use too: Halloween, School costume parties, sleepovers, just something to wear to an amusement park like Disney or Six Flags - kids love costumes.