I'm the least enthusiastic about gaming that I've been in many years and I'm not sure why. I miss being enthralled.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By bigsocrates

For most of last year I was having a really good time with video games. I'd overcome my tendency to play a lot of bad games and was focusing more on games I actually enjoyed. I started the year with God of War: Ragnarok and Horizon: Forbidden West and thoroughly enjoyed them both, albeit Ragnarok more than Forbidden West, which seems to be the general consensus. I had a really great time playing older games like Yakuza 0 and Kiwami, Nier: Replicant, and Wild Arms later in the year and I was absolutely blown away by Tears of the Kingdom. I finally got around to Pyre and blasted through it, grabbing the platinum. I even had a great time with Ni No Kuni, a game that continues to be divisive over a decade after its release. While I didn't love the games released in 2023 as much as many people, the games I played in 2023 were mostly fantastic.

Then October hit and I decided to play some spooky games, as I tend to. I'm not the biggest horror fan, but I can certainly enjoy horror themed media under the right circumstances, and I was hoping to replicate 2021, when I had an amazing time with games like Bioshock, Alice: Madness Returns, and Shadow of the Damned. 2023 was not as enjoyable for me, and I have a bunch of half-finished blogs explaining why the original Bloodrayne is a much worse game than I remembered it being (frustrating level design and a lack of checkpointing being the main culprits) and why Shadowman is also pretty bad (even worse level design and an absolute ton of backtracking.) I tried to get through Redfall and did make it a chunk in only to discover that my opinion on it is similar to everyone else's. So that month wasn't great, but I thought that setting aside the horror stuff that wasn't hitting would improve things. Moving into November I decided to focus on games released in 2023, both to gear up for Game of the Year and because a lot of the games that hadn't gelled with me in October were older titles with frustrating older design choices. I'd also had a great time in 2022 towards the end of the year playing a bunch of newer stuff like Norco and Midnight Suns, so I thought I could replicate that.

I couldn't. I did play games in November and December, but not that many and most of them were sort of busts. Super Mario Wonder was a great time, but very fleeting. I couldn't bring myself to finish Super Mario RPG, even though I liked it and it's extremely short for an RPG. I had intentions on completing Like a Dragon Ishin!, Starfield, and more but instead I limped through a few indie titles and finished a couple bigger ones before more or less giving up and focusing on other things. At least In Stars and Time was great...until it wasn't (I still liked it overall.) I also had big intentions of finishing a bunch of PSVR2 games, and I barely touched the thing for the last two months, though planning on getting into VR and not actually doing so is a recurrent theme for me.

Now we're into 2024 and I figured again that things would change since I was no longer focusing on any specific year and could play literally whatever I wanted. Two weeks in that has mostly been insubstantial arcadey experiences. Evil West has been on my "to play" list for awhile and was a monthly PS+ game so I gave it a try and more or less hated it. I'll give it a bit more time but I'm not optimistic. I've played some more Like A Dragon Ishin! and that game is...fine. I'll probably finish it. It's not bad but I'd put Yakuza 0 and Kiwami in my top 20 games of recent years and Ishin definitely isn't. I played a few more levels of El Paso, Elsewhere the other day and enjoyed it. That game's pretty good.

But that's the problem. Even games that I can acknowledge are good aren't clicking with me. The upcoming Prince of Persia is getting great reviews but I can't justify buying it right now when I'm just not enjoying myself much with basically anything. There are a couple upcoming Game Pass games I'll check out because at least those aren't going to cost me money.

I don't really know what the point of writing this is except to admit it to myself. I'm not going to take a break from games because I'm still moderately enjoying them, and I haven't been pushing myself to play anything. A lot of my game time recently has been while on the treadmill, and that's productive. I also can identify issues in my life that have sapped my interest in games, including a lot of stress, poor sleep, and other stuff. I'm also pretty confident that eventually something will come along to recapture me. Maybe the Persona 3 remake or Final Fantasy VII Rebirth. Maybe after I finish Ishin! and move on to Kiwami 2. Maybe Microsoft will shadow drop something this week and I'll get caught up in the excitement like I was with Hi-Fi Rush.

I've been gaming long enough to know that these moods pass. But for now I miss the feeling of really being enthralled by a gaming. Of playing something that you think about even when you're not actively playing about it, that you want to research and read about and talk to people about. I miss being excited about waking up early and finding myself with a couple extra hours to play something before starting my day. It's something that I've had for most of my life about some game or another, maybe not constantly but on a regular basis, and right now I don't and I miss it. It's not that I don't have other interests or things to do with my time, or that I can't step away from games because I can (and have for the most part), but I just want that ability to zone out when doing something boring (like waiting for a train) and think about some game you're playing and what you want to do next or relive some sequence or whatever. There's nothing quite like it. I want it back.

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a bummer than you're in a funk with games. I can relate with the feeling of being unsatisfied with the games you play even if they are good. I believe you said it best in your second to last paragraph. Outside influences do make a difference in how you feel about the tings you would normally enjoy and I hope you get out of the funk sooner rather than later.

And for what it's worth, the Prince of Persia game has a demo if that helps with anything.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do wonder if i'm losing interest in games or if it's just modern games, like how my 70 something year old dad watches old black and white movies but not modern ones, i still get the itch to replay my favourites and i'm excited for Tekken 8 because i've been playing Tekken since the 90's, but it's harder to find the motivation to start something new.

But games is kind of my thing, i'm still invested in the industry and the people involved, the personalities and all projects indie and up, but my motivations have radically changed.

I started listening to podcasts and watching streams some years ago, so most of my playtime goes into experiences that require less attention, but i've been getting really excited about indie games and things like the unofficial Perfect Dark PC port, Legend 64, the guy who just ported his game to Godot, technical achievements and innovations, games like BattleBit giving AAA the middle finger.

A Youtube channel that keeps exposing me to really exciting looking games is Alpha Beta Gamer, there's so many great indie games i didn't know existed, you might find some inspiration there.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chamurai: Thanks, duder. Some of the issues in my life are going to take some time to clear up, and part of why I'm frustrated is that gaming is usually an escape for me. Not in a "running from my problems" way but in an "I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight because my stepfather is in surgery and has under a 50% chance to survive but at least I can lose myself in this game until I get the news" way (he did survive.)

That's not working right now, though I have some other outlets (like exercise, which is underrated, and of course talking to friends.) but it always sucks when something that usually hits for you doesn't.

I may check out the Prince of Persia demo, thanks, but it usually takes me awhile to get into Metroidvanias so demos can be a bit iffy. I also feel like the game seems a bit overpriced even if it is very good. I definitely do not think that all 2D games have to be cheaper than 3D games (this is the same price as Mirage, though it's not the full $70) but you look at this vs something like the Blasphemous series or Hollow Knight and...I guess it has higher production values, even if they don't necessarily look better per se.

@cikame: Thanks. I've had that thought too. For the most part I think I'm able to keep up with at least some modern games. As I said I loved Tears of the Kingdom, but I also really enjoyed Spider-Man 2 and some other stuff. I can't get on with the Live Service trends, though.

Starting something new can be hard, though, I agree. I think a lot of it is that I've played SO many beginnings of games and they are so slow these days that they kind of blend together. I often find myself shouting at the screen during intro sequences for the game to just got on with things and not just show me yet another super boring cut scene to start things off. So many games don't actually have a worthwhile story but feel the need to drone on anyway. I have said some very nasty things directed at certain game writers (often of indie games) in the privacy of my own home that I would never actually communicate to them because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but sometimes less is more. Often much less. The same with designers who want to slow drip mechanics and put in endless tutorials.

It's funny because I have fallen off podcasts hard. I used to listen to a lot of them but now I barely listen to any. Not just with gaming stuff. I still watch/listen to some video content and occasionally will partake in a pod, but the days of me listening to Bombcasts multiple times are well over.

Thanks for the recommendations. I've definitely been playing some indie stuff and enjoying some of it, but I don't think it's an indie vs AAA thing. For Example El Paso, Somewhere is the kind of indie that would normally be up my alley but it's just not doing it. And Venba was just meh for me. Even Cocoon was more of an "I know this is good" vs "I love this" experience.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

The "Cook, Serve, Delicious!" series is something I find myself going back to when I get into one of these funks. There's something incredibly cathartic about the flow of the games, especially as you get to the midpoint, and ESPECIALLY if you use a keyboard (at least for me) that still feels satisfying without demanding a lot of my creative mind. It could just be a part of your brain that's exhausted and needs a break, it could be the season (assuming you're not in the Southern Hemisphere, it's a pretty brutal winter at the moment). The other option I usually go with is something intentionally stressful: Darkest Dungeon 1 or 2 or Fear & Hunger if you're not averse to some truly dark weirdness, because managing stress and bars in a game can often fill in the feeling of managing it IRL.

Apart from that, and if fully taking a break from the medium doesn't sound like a good idea, I'd say go outside your comfort zone. Try a sports game or a fighting game, try a deckbuilder or a roguelike or a racing game, something completely outside your wheelhouse. Honestly, if none of that sounds good, try reading a book or watching some movies, I've found that my brain just sometimes needs a break from videogames (though I almost always come back to cozy sims, and I gotta say: "Unpacking" is a great quick fix of that, but something like Spiritfarer or Coral Island could scratch the itch in a more long-term sense.

imunbeatable80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By imunbeatable80

I have this feeling at least once a year, so I get it. In fact it's usually this time every year, but it coincides with stress from other stuff all hitting at the same time. My work has its year end wrap up, which results in a lot of extra work for me and my team.. winter break for the kiddos.. and family obligations.

For me personally, I found its better to just take a full break for a set time, and then come back when some of the other stresses are gone. If I tried to power through I just wouldn't enjoy what I play regardless what game it is. I would have to squeeze in time to do it, my mind might be elsewhere.

My vote is to take a break if even for like 3 days, and then you can come back when you miss playing games, and you will enjoy it more

goosemunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I find "take a break from gaming" just doesn't work for me. What helps is to appreciate different aspect of the game (for example gameplay does next to nothing for me now, so I focus more on storytelling, design, aesthetics, etc) or intentionally play bad/mediocre games to engage in criticism which can be more fun than the game itself.

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By noboners

Glad your stepdad made it through.

I go through similar "funks" multiple times per year, and it's always a bummer. But like you mentioned, I will eventually come back around. The big positive from these moments is that, usually, whatever game pulls me back in becomes an instant favorite (like Tears of the Kingdom last year). In the meantime, I just kind of spin my tires on a sports game, or Slay the Spire, as they both fill my weird desire for something familiar while also needing to feel a sense of progression. So, hopefully, one of these new big releases can fill the void you are feeling.

But really, it sounds like it's just time for another Balan Wonderworld playthrough.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

It's important to remember, as well: as you get older, you start to be able to "see the strings" of videogames a bit more, and it simply becomes harder and harder to get that old feeling back. Hence why so many people descend into nostalgia wankery and pining for when "games used to be better" when what they actually want is to feel the same way about them as they used to. And it's not a bad thing: it means you're still growing and expanding your mind and seeking novelty, which becomes harder and harder to find as you realize how similar a lot of experiences in the gaming space are.

And it's why some of the best experiences are in that later time: you get to have something like Baldur's Gate 3 actually BE Baldur's Gate THE THIRD. You get the part in Spider-Man 2 where you play as Venom that feels like a love letter to every kid who grew up thinking he was cool and having NO videogame that made you feel that way. You get games that take advantage of the fact that there's a whole decades-long history of "gaming" to pull from both to subvert and try new things. But unfortunately: the industry isn't set up for those games to be anything close to "the norm."

And sometimes you just need comfort: I've played the first half of Earthbound more times than I can count (and the second half about half as much as that because while it's a perfect game with no flaws, there are parts that drag).

Avatar image for spacemanspiff00
spacemanspiff00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By spacemanspiff00

I don't think I could say much more than what's already been said. I don't know how many other hobbies you have that you could spend time with instead. I also don't think you should feel bad about being less into a hobby sometimes.. I'll go months without barely touching games. That being said, being in similar boat to you coincidentally, I took @undeadpool 's advice and decided to try something different from my usual interests. Game Pass to the rescue! I decided to pick something that evoked my current sci-fi mood(Steam apparently lists these genre types under 'Themes and Moods) and the desire for a more casual experience.

Enter Opus: Echo of Starsong. Its a little more anime than I typically touch these days and its also more a visual novel with simple material gathering and survival gameplay, three things I usually avoid. If the gameplay was more heavyweight I doubt I'd stick with it. However, the whole package is just rather charming in a greater than the sum of its parts kind of way. Its around 10-12 hours I believe which isn't super breezy but certainly not daunting in any way. The visual novel stuff is enjoyable and its hitting the space vibe I'm in. Even if there is some pretty substantial anime cliche stuff. @mento has a nice comprehensive writeup about it. https://www.giantbomb.com/opus-echo-of-starsong/3030-83952/forums/indie-game-of-the-week-302-opus-echo-of-starsong-1909111/

I suppose your Game Pass club is probably offering you some different games that you might not regularly play as well. I'm not sure if your media genre moods ebb and flow a lot like mine but just trying to narrow that down really helped me pick a game. Usually I'm rather paralyzed by choice when staring at GP and PS Extra.

Anyhoo, It still sounds like you had a pretty good time last year. Hobbies should be enjoyable. If they aren't, its good to take a break or find ways to branch out. I guess its kinda sad when we can't find the same joy we once did in something but often it just takes a little time off to miss it. Though I suppose you don't intend to completely stop. As I've gotten older I find it more refreshing to diversify my entertainment. Hope you still find plenty of joy in 2024, whether that be with games or new or existing hobbies.

Stay well duder.

permanentsigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Take a break. From games, games media, and the discourse. You’ll feel reinvigorated to play games after a while. Spending too much time with a single thing is never good.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By AV_Gamer

I feel this way sometimes, but usually, all it takes is me not playing video games for a couple of days or a week at most and my passion to get back into it returns. Especially, if a new game I really want to play comes out during that time off. It's like eating your favorite meal every day. Eventually, you're going to get sick of eating it, no matter how much you like it. But if you go on to other foods, the craving for your favorite meal will return. It just depends on how long before it does.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel this way sometimes. Maybe do some other things for a while? You could always practice a skill/hobby, like art or music, if you have some extra free time. If you really just want to chill with games, you might try listening to something while playing something pretty mindless. You mentioned getting tired of podcasts but there are always audiobooks. Then most of the enjoyment comes from the book, and the game is just something to occupy your hands/head while you listen.

But really, it sounds like a lot of this is just a general listlessness coming out of stress in your life and not that related to gaming / not gaming.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sorry to hear about your gaming ennui!

(and thus marks my first opportunity to use that word since finally metabolizing its meaning)

it's different for everyone, but i find the best medicine for me in those circumstances is to try new things. if a break isn't in the cards, maybe try a completely new genre out? maybe something critically acclaimed but not your usual cup of tea. that shift in perspective usually is good for me.

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By GTxForza

If you don't feel motivated to play video games at the moment, I would suggest you take a couple of breaks until when you regain motivation as you wish to enjoy them.

Edit: I hope by later 2024, you will be able to have more fun with games.