I want as many games where you can knock enemies into holes/pits and defeat them as possible.

the_thrower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Any game where this is possible will do, from Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (where it is arguably the main feature) through top-down Zeldas (attacks' knockback can push enemies off cliffs, instantly removing them from play) to Urban Champion (every third stage ends with the opponent falling into a manhole instead of rolling away from pavement; basically only flavour).

I will list all such games I can remember right now, aside from ones I already mentioned:

• Double Dragon, multiple stages have pits that both player and enemy can fall into
  • Overwatch, many characters have knockback abilities and most maps allow for environmental deaths
  • Virtua Fighter, ring-outs
  • Super Smash Bros., meteor smashes and intercepting recoveries
  • Super Mario Galaxy, spin can push enemies into black holes
  • Worms, throwing them off field and into water is a very efficient method of dispatching them
  • Spyro the Dragon, a handful of stages have enemies which can be defeated only by making them fall
whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Golden Axe

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Control

Gyratyne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, side scrolling brawlers (beat'em ups) are filled with pits and elevator levels to knock off enemies. I recommend Streets of Rage 4.

Pushing bugs over the edge or into water/acid/lava is also a great tactic for Into the Breach. Well, for ones without flight.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By AV_Gamer

God of War games can sometimes let you do this depending on the location, including the latest one. Devil May Cry games as well. Also Bayonetta... well character third person action games in general.

Oobir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon's Dogma, pick up a goblin and chuck it over a cliff. Or kill Death by knocking it down over a bottomless pit.

Can you bump enemies into pits in the 2D Zelda games? I remember Link falling into them in Link's Awakening, but it's been a long time since I played and I don't remember if enemies suffer the same fate.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. You can even freeze the floor, get an orc to charge at you, step aside, and watch him slip and fall right off the cliff. It's great.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Dark Souls.

Into the Breach.

Populous The Beginning.

Assassins Creed

constantk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spelunky and Spelunky 2

Similar to Dark Souls, the general level of difficulty makes it incredibly satisfying when you can use pits, traps, spikes, etc. against your enemy.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

The Warriors has a mode on top of a rooftop and you can push enemies off.

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By chamurai

The Soul Edge/Calibur series comes to mind.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think we need a game that's basically Doom or Dynasty Warriors, but the only way to kill enemies is through environmental kills. Make it happen!

the_thrower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oobir: Yeah, you can do that to enemies too. Not sure if it's possible in all entries, but at least in most.

El_Blarfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jedi: Fallen Order

Jedi Knight 1

Jedi Knight 2

Force Unleashed 1

Force Unleashed 2

The Force is a motherfucker, basically.

Kyary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bulletstorm? Didn't that have a kick thing?

You can also do this in Destiny 2, and although I never played it, it was a famous cheese in Destiny 1's Vault of Glass (you could use supers and grenades to push the boss off his platform). Not intended but worth mentioning, if we just want to count any game where this can be done.

Also, maybe not in the spirit of the question (since it's a cutscene interrupt action) but couldn't you push someone out a window in Mass Effect 2 as a renegade action? Either way you can definitely just push people off ledges with the force push thing, or float them into the air and the can float off the edge.

Obviously, like basically every Hitman game

lipidquadcab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mutant League Football!

LamCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking at my library, the notable ones that haven't been mentioned are:

• Dead Cells
  • Fights in Tight Spaces (sometimes you toss enemies out windows of a skyscraper)
  • Duck Game, Gang Beasts and Stick Fight are all built around this mechanic
  • Nidhogg
aardarf22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the Mortal Kombat games some of the stages have Pit Fatalities

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hitman counts, right?

jeremyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 11

Marvel's Spider-Man. Punting dudes off skyscrapers is always a good time.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I forgot its name, but probably that one anime game for PS4 that I can best describe as Lemmings with tower defense of which may or may not involve knocking various characters into a pit after electrocuting them, burning them, knocking them onto a mechanical bull, and other various Loony Toons-esque traps.

[five minutes later]
I'm thinking of Deception IV: The Nightmare Princess.

pnpkp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ape Out. You can defenestrate a lot of cowardly little gunhaving apes in that.

Manburger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By Manburger

@pnpkp said:

Ape Out. You can defenestrate a lot of cowardly little gunhaving apes in that.

Speaking of defenestration: Gunpoint and Heat Signature!

• Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy has a lot tubular telekinetic chucking of foes into pits and hazards,
  • also the case in the other 2004 TK-based, 3rd-person action game, Second Sight

...and uh, Minority Report: Everybody Runs(!)

lugged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SWTOR (unless that's changed in recent years - it was a bit buggy at times, but various classes with Force or tech-based knockbacks plus various areas with bottomless chasms)

Warframe (a lot less efficient than just killing them, but I have rarely used a melee ground slam to knock a tanky enemy into the abyss before)

Dwarf Fortress (various options with trap doors, using bridges at catapults, etc, complete with exploding bodies if they drop far enough)

Mount & Blade (mostly with knockbacks during sieges, also probably most or all of the recent PVP-focused medieval combat games?)

Most open world games - GTA, Assassin's Creed, Saint's Row, Just Cause, etc

Minecraft

If gravity as the actual cause of death isn't a requirement -

Terraria (lava or etc death pits, I don't think enemies take fall damage directly?)

Portal (turrets, from flailing around/being knocked over, though it might also have some infinite chasms?)

Going with "defeat" over kill, Donut County

Zeploz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Orcs Must Die - each game has traps specifically designed to throw/push enemies into pits.

Team Fortress 2 has pushback on guns for pit throws.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

stealydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What about ledge kills from below? As seen in games like Uncharted, Horizon, Splinter Cell, etc. Also, dropping bodies off of ledges to remove the evidence happens a lot in Splinter Cell.

The force push power in The Witcher 2 is good for throwing dudes off ramparts in the first area.

There was that part in Metal Gear Solid 3 with the rope bridge where you can shoot the support ropes to make dudes fall off.

The entire point of Ultimate Chicken Horse is using traps and obstacles to make your opponents fall into oblivion.

Unfortunately, there is a severe lack of death by falling in The Fall, Shadowrun: Dragonfall, and Dreamfall.

@kyary said:

Also, maybe not in the spirit of the question (since it's a cutscene interrupt action) but couldn't you push someone out a window in Mass Effect 2 as a renegade action? Either way you can definitely just push people off ledges with the force push thing, or float them into the air and the can float off the edge.

In that same Mass Effect mission, there is a long bridge full of dudes just ready to be tossed off by the pull/throw combo, so good.

stealydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, I just realized that OP's name is perfect for the subject of this thread, well done.

the_thrower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cornfed40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The answer is Lode Runner, and yall should be disappointed for not saying it yet.

HeyItsDale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gravity Rush has so much hurling people into the void. Often civilians! Kat don't give a shit.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Shindig

Tearaway Unfolded. You can blow and throw enemies off platforms.

bodger0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heat Signature.

Top down ship heist em up, where you can slow down time, throw a wrench at a window behind people, and launch them into the vacuum of space.

There's a reason why Tom Francis' 3 games (3rd game, Tactical Breach Wizards, is currently in Development) are called "The Defenestration Trilogy"

the_thrower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By the_thrower

Posting two of my recent discoveries where you can do that - Elderborn (kicking as a major way, not unlike Dark Messiah) and A Hat in Time (at least one of its achievements, no idea about the rest of the game).

Also thanks for all the responses so far.

jeffrud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Soul Reaver had some cool mechanics revolving around throwing vampires into/off of stuff.

Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Wild 9 for the PS1 had spike-throwing as a pretty integral mechanic (you would throw dudes into spikes and then use them as platforms to get across). That will always be the first thing that comes to mind when anyone mentions spike-throwing.

Nuttism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Nuttism

I'm pretty sure you can do it in most top-down zeldas (and zelda-likes) after the original Legend of Zelda. Many dungeons have a gap in the floor you can knock enemies into.

In Baba is You, you can turn enemies into holes (nothing) as well as push them into hot when they are melt.

EDIT: Just remembered two more by looking through my steam list.

Guacameele lets you toss foes around. It's been a while since I played it so I don't remember if any of the combat arenas have holes.

Overboard starts with you pushing your husband overboard. You don't need to stop there.

the_thrower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having gotten Super Mario Maker 2 recently, I can say that it is one of the ways to hamper enemy players' progress in multiplayer versus mode. Even though it was possible to do in New Super Mario Bros for the Wii too, it was a co-op game so the other players on the screen weren't actually enemies.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

I feel like I'm shaking my stick at a cloud, but I remember when this site had a concepts page very much like this! With massive lists of strange games and stranger concepts!

Now stop eyeing my lemondrink!

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

Soul Reaver had some cool mechanics revolving around throwing vampires into/off of stuff.

First game that came to mind for me, pretty fundamental part of the combat in the first game iirc. Also, Def Jam NY has some good "throw in front of train in subway" action but admittedly not very much of it. The heat actions in Yakuza games often let you yeet enemies from bridges / rooftops (they're fine, presumably, Kiryu don't kill you)

Broshmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@undeadpool: Having just run a very quick scan search of the concepts wiki with "enemies into pit", it would appear this particular concept does not have an accompanying wiki page. Perhaps that's something for OP to compile.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Why bother getting people into holes, when you can get holes into people. I give you: Donut County...

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’ve only skimmed the other comments so apologies if this is a repeat, but Halo Infinite lets you boop other players into pits on several maps. One of them plants the repulsor very close to the special weapon drop, and accessing the latter requires jumping over an electrified goo pit. It’s serving up pit throwing on a platter!

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

@hermes said:

Why bother getting people into holes, when you can get holes into people. I give you: Donut County...

One of the few games I think was perfectly self-contained but would ALSO love to see a sequel to.

WulfBane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#46  Edited By WulfBane

I know Spider-Man games are mentioned but I might throw an "Um Actually..." at it where at least in the PS4 "Marvel's Spider-Man" they technically do a thing where baddies that are sent off of rooftops AND ARE STILL VISIBLE can sometimes be seen getting web-zipped against the side of the buildings to show that Spider-Man is having them get caught and saved from hitting the pavement. If they get obstructed from the camera so you can't see them anymore, the game engine just despawns them.

But also along those lines and I *THINK* does not try to "save" them is you can also knock enemies off the roofs in Infamous. There was even at least one trophy related to it.

shiyamiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sifu's got this but most of the time you have to parry into a throw. Railing kills are something you have to earn

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

You can actually do this in Warhammer 40K: Chaos gate - Daemonhunters with some well placed grenades or knockbacks. Not that far in, so might be more ways later on. It's very satisfying when a couple of full health Plague Marines disappear in the fog below.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers