I guess GOTY went well?

savutano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

Just messing around, what a UPF to close out the week, though. Happy Holidays, everyone!

MaC122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

im predicting Bloodstained as #1

Symbyosys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

UPF was on fire!

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

UPF was a lot of fun! Worst 80's Song Rock Band singing was an inspired idea by Alex with some Tee K.O. to boot.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I hope the inclusion of Rock Band hints at a 2019 RB Special-tacular, last year wasn't the same without one.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Hmm, the fact that the set isn't dressed up makes me think that each coast will be recording their own Specialtacular videos. I hope that doesn't mean stuff like Hitsmas and the Winter Games are no more, but I don't begrudge them not wanting to spend two weeks away from home right before Christmas.

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watching the guys sing was so funny I nearly lost 'Control'.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It was a really fun episode. I'm usually not big on them playing party games, but the karaoke spiced it up just enough. Tee KO was kind of a perfect pick since it has so much downtime for drawing.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I thought filling the downtime in Tee KO with Rock Band was a great idea. Tee KO is always fun, but the large amount of downtime is always a bummer since nothing happens for like 2-3 minutes at a time.

chaz934

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By chaz934

Have a feeling Control will be the winner, Call of Duty, Outer Worlds, Resident Evil, and Disco Elysium will be top 5 and Apex will be bottom five

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Forget about the winner, what is the game that definitely won't win that people are going to get irrationally angry about being snubbed?

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@conmulligan: For sure, especially since that quick look stirred up so many people.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@mike: Disco Elysium

I mean Disco has no chance of winning. If it gets into the top 5 it will be good enough for a PC only heavily text based adventure game. I honestly wouldn't even call it much of a CRPG since it has very little to do with classic games that defined that genre.

I can see Apex winning as part of what is now derisively known as the Tetris Effect. All of them played it and all of them enjoyed it to varying degrees. Was it the best game of the year? No of course not, but it's good enough to "hang" for most of them. All the other contenders seem way to divisive to survive the purge of opinions and tastes.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Disco Elysium probably wont make top ten

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really excited for best music this year

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@mike: Yeah as others have said, Disco for sure. Given how many bounced off it on staff I'd be stunned to see Disco in the top 10.

I also think people will get a bit ticked that Bloodstained winds up so low. Vinny likes it for sure, and Dan is going to hard argue for it but feels to me like some of the other staff weren't as high on it. I could see Control or the Outer Worlds ranking pretty high on the top 10 list just because of how many enjoyed it for example.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

@mike: Almost certainly Disco, right?

Personally, I will continue to do nothing as Neo Cab falls into the ether. But it shall be a spiteful nothing!

Haz_Kaj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm looking forward to GOTY discussion.

For once we are not going to have someone try and argue a mediocre game in the Top 10 like Destiny or Dream Daddy. Thank god noone cared for Death Stranding too much.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SethMode

Where Disco lands will make far less of a difference than what is said, I think. If it is number 10 because Ben really liked it and makes good points, and everyone just sort of says, "fair enough" I think the rational fans of it will be fine, maybe even happy. If it makes number 10 or is off the list but people fight tooth and nail and say things that maybe they didn't like about their first impressions, and perhaps vague digs at even the community, people will be insufferable for a while. The latter feels almost exactly what happened with the Witcher 3, only more of them played more of that game.

Either way, it feels like #10 at the best to me.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

I recently listened to the 2017 and 2018 GOTY pods again and while I was afraid they were gonna sour me on this year’s GOTY and GOTY in general, to my surprise, they were pretty good for the most part and actually got me excited for it later in the month.

There are definitely couple times in both years where things went south but overall, I’m happy I revisited them.

jimmyoct87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jimmyoct87

I would like it to be RE 2 but I think it may be Apex Legends or maayyyyybe Outer Wilds

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: I am going with Death Stranding.

Given the reaction of the staff, I would be surprised if it is in the top 10, and I don't see many people defending it. Kojima fans, on the other side, will get livid...

daimona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike:

Death Stranding ;)

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@mike: Ring Fit Adventure #1 or we riot.

@humanity: This is the correct take. I will be very surprised if Apex doesn't take it.

I'm quite looking forward to GOTY discussions because this will be the first time in a while that my GOTY (Control) is a game that Jeff actually liked. I always enjoy hearing him Get Into It during discussions, but it's rare for our tastes to overlap and it'll be a nice change to hear him going to bat for something I enjoy rather than ignoring its existence or eviscerating it.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Can’t wait for this year’s GOTY podcasts! Seems like it could be between Control or Outer Wilds but I think there’s games like RE2 and Apex that have decent chances at that #1 too.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Can someone confirm - I don't have the data - but has this year had more dead-air on the site leading up to GOTY than usual? I remember there is usually a drought of content for obvious reasons. This is not a complaint! I know why this happens and I absolutely understand. I'm merely curious if this year it's longer or actually shorter? I remember they devised some clever plan for it to all work out better, but it sure feels like it's been a bit longer than usual.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

That older they all get the more I hope an overall 'mellow vibe' takes over that yearsley discussions.

Like trues masters of Verbal Kung Fu they will all eventually learn to counter each others moves.