I gave in and bought off scalpers dint pay to much

This topic is locked from further discussion.

elisdee1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I was bad very bad, I bought my consoles from scalpers ($750 retail) I paid $900 for each, I couldn’t help my self because I havnt missed a launch since megadrive. I felt bad at first but you know what I got what I wanted and Sony or EB couldn’t help me even though I spend thousands on them every year, paying a title and a half extra is nothing I already have all the launch games digitally, I don’t condone scalping but sometimes there is a time and a place.. better get back to demon souls and yakuza !!

Ulfhedinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know you're happy but enabling scalpers is kinda not the best idea.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry but fuck this, quite frankly.

Haz_Kaj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll put you in an ignore list. Strange you came onto a forum to admit it.

I get it. You make enough money and can afford it. You have no patience and want the newest thing. But the very principle of supporting these scum is unacceptable. 900 is still a ridiculous amount.

I'm hearing a lot of scalpers are being touted out and robbed or threatened. Good.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess good for OP? Paying over 2x to play astrobot and... astrobot a few months early?

In all seriousness: If you can afford it and this is how you want to blow your wad then... okay. But please be aware that what you are describing sounds like very dangerous impulse buying.

@haz_kaj: Could we maybe not wish physical harm on people just because we didn't get a toy?

miser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The price hurts my soul, but you clearly wanted it. Hope you enjoy the system!

Rohsiph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get the desire. It was hard to fight myself. I might have ended up caving in if I hadn't managed to get an XSX, even though I really wanted PS5 first... I have my new toy and frankly haven't given XBox much of a chance in the last years, so now I can see what Gamepass and such have been up to on the console side (been using it on PC here and there).

The situation sucks. You shouldn't have had to pay extra. Scalpers shouldn't be taking advantage. Suppliers should be doing a better job with demand.. at the very least, of communicating wtf is going on there. Like, I'm hearing rumors Sony is building up stock for a huge 2nd 'shipment' wave early December. Is it true? Well, they aren't gonna say, and that makes it really hard for everyone who has gotten super-excited about the launch.

I get it. RIP the extra money. Hopefully if there's a next time in 7 years, it will be at least a bit less fucked.

IceColdGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In an effort to get my close friend a PS5 Digital Version here in Canada a group of 3 of us her in Canada spammed Best Buy, TheSource, Toys R Us, and EBGames on Launch Day. I managed to get a Physical Copy and had it shipped to him. Moments later my other friend got a Digital Edition and also had it shipped to him. I attempted to cancel my Physical but Best Buy stated the Shipping Label had already been made so it was shipped out.

When it arrived the next day we listed it at 720$ in order to give it to someone else at cost (Total cost for Physical here in Canada is 711.89)

Within I'd say about 35 seconds a man offered 1200.00 cash and it was gone. We split the money 4 ways and bought launch titles.

There will always be people willing to buy stuff at high prices due to FOMO. Scalpers or not. It's just how it works. Some people just have the means to do it and some don't.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By csl316

Kinda sucks that this is the situation this launch is in. Not sure why people are upset at the OP, it's the scalpers that are the issue here.

Still not sure why you could only get these online. Covid is obviously here but there could have been better ways to handle this locally, rather than just dumping systems on the worldwide web for everyone to fight over.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah shame on you.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: There are plenty of pictures and clips on twitter of giant queues for in-store units and it sounds like there is a guarantee of at least a few people every time any units are suspected to be in stock. As shit gets even worse expect at least a few of those to be untraceable spreader events.

I dunno. I guess I view it as "scalpers are assholes" but... so are the people who are buying spare PS5s to "sell to their friends at cost" (because obviously that is what they are doing...) and so forth. Considering this is purely a non-limited luxury item it is hard for me to get too worked up at the scalpers and bots and I kind of just feel that folk who are paying over 2x the price of a console are kind of getting what they deserve?

And I do feel like, as with all things, people are letting a weird sense of entitlement drive them. OBVIOUSLY it is all scalpers and if there were no scalpers at all then they would have their PS5. Ignore that scalpers exist because of the high demand for a demon souls box (... when is the next Direct drop?).

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#12  Edited By berfunkle

I'd like to chime in to say that I rather enjoyed the process of buying a PS5. Refreshing web pages only to find that stock was out in less than 5 minutes. Waiting in a que for an hour wondering if there were going to be anything to buy once I got in.

It may sound like I'm being sarcastic, but I'm not. The anticipation of trying to buy a PS5 was in many ways just as enjoyable as actually scoring one. One thing is sure, and in all deference to the OP, I would never pay more than MSRP for a PS5. I'd wait months before I'd do that, and in the case of the Nintendo Switch, I did.

Avatar image for terminallychill
terminallychill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol the OP isn't the one who bought the console to resell it. I'm sure they weren't dying to spend the extra $150. You guys should lay off, yes reselling is bad but would you miss it when your favorite band came to town just because you couldn't get seats in the first 2 minutes on ticketmaster? I doubt it.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ghost_cat

Y'all are gonna hate on a dude who got a PS5 and didn't kill anyone for it? That's just how the system is set up.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By OurSin_360

Sad we've come to the point of being toxic at the victims more so than the scalpers. It's not the OP fault that retailers allowed this to happen.

I'm all for the resale hustle tbh, but scalping is just taking advantage of people who are desperate, especially during these times where entertainment desire is at an all time high to escape reality.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By OMGFather

I don't blame you for giving in, the temptation is there and if you've got the money why not? But probably not the best decision.

Times like that I'm thankful I still have my PC. I could play Yakuza 7 on that, and Demon's Souls will probably come out some time later.

terminallychill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghost_cat: Exactly.

@efesell: No it's not. It's not on the consumer to fix the sales system that lets this happen. I personally don't buy from resellers but I'm not going to fault someone else for doing it, especially if they have kids or something that really want it. Go watch the episode of the office where Dwight buys up all those dolls around Christmas.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Nice try scalper. You're not tricking me that easily.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gundato: obviously fuck giving in to scalpers, but op didn't pay "over 2x", as their post and others mention. A PS5 Disc Edition is $730 in my province.

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Given the state of the world, the feeling that anyone deserves to have something on a launch day baffles me. Entitlement is crazy these days. Also, the reason you had to go to a scalper? It's because of the scalpers - that some irony.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@terminallychill: Nope, not interested in any amount of but he really wanted it.

Don’t support bad practices like this, especially when it’s something ENTIRELY frivolous.

navster15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’m certainly not in support of scalpers, but man, life’s too short to get worked up over this. Worst case supply shortages will clear up in the spring and in the meantime I’m willing to bet most people currently own hardware that can play 99% of the games they are interested in. Let’s all chill for a minute and let OP live their life.

terminallychill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: I hope you don't use Amazon for anything because boy, are their practices a lot worse than this lol. Agree to disagree though, I can't change your mind and that's fine.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This is prototypical zoomer mentality, sadly

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck it. It's not my money. Enjoy it.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ghost_cat

I kinda like how two parties here got what they wanted and are happy, yet everyone here is up in arms about it.

digitaldisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By digitaldisco

The amount of hate in this thread for the OP is a little ridiculous.

Scalpers aren't going to magically disappear, and it's everyone's own decision if they want to pay a premium price for a hard to find product. It's supply and demand.

Car dealers do the same thing when a new, or limited model gets released. If it has a lot interest they purchase it from the manufacturer and then up-charge the price. Same thing when you are trying to buy a house in a hot market and have to offer over the asking price. It's capitalism folks.

Some of us can afford the convenience of not having to try and execute some kind of special mission to secure a console at launch. Not a brag, just reality. I wasn't able to take time from work to try and get a pre-order in or catch the re-stocks on release day. Yes, that means it cost me an additional $300 to get a XSX on launch day, but I was willing to pay that cost.

The real issue here is bot order spamming. Much like the event industry had to try to find ways to deal with resellers buying up all the tickets and flipping them. If retail companies and/or the manufacturers get concerned enough they can institute better technology. Honestly it's all the same to them if someone buys one or 100. They will sell out regardless, but if there is enough outcry maybe MS and Sony will try something on their sites.

To their credit MS gives you ability to check stock status at other retail sites and has consistently trickled re-stocks into their own store.

strijd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I don’t see an issue with the OP taking matters into his own hands are securing new consoles by other means. Unfortunately Sony / Microsoft really are the ones to blame for most people missing out on new consoles by putting out so little stock, not the scalpers.

I was a little sad for a few days I couldn’t get my hands on a ps5 when it released. At the end of the day the only thing I missed out on was playing demon souls. So I got over it. Although it does help owning a pc that is more powerful than the new consoles lol. Honestly I think I can wait 6 or more months until it becomes normal to walk into your local retailer and just pick one up off the shelves. There aren’t going to be any amazing exclusives out before then.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't hate you (stupid thing to have to say) Your post is open, so it's not a matter of being judge and jury when I say this.

Sometimes material things just do not matter that much. I know that with video games there is more to it than that. Kind of like a few other things I won't go into. But sometimes you got to go a little Buddha, and disassociate yourself from the things that cause one to crave. I myself am going a little through this with the PS5 and Demon Souls, but I know it doesn't add up.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Listen.. I don’t think there’s any hate here, or genuine anger for that matter.

But like you come in with this like I made a mistake I guess but hey I did what I had to you know how it is. Like it seems you want a pat on the back for it.

To which I still say.. Nah.

Nuttism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sombre: Those damn zoomers with their megadrives...

pearsonpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand, you could just go to antonline and get a PS5 bundled with a PS5-branded golf cart for only $11,000

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

is that you, kanye?

big yeezy energy in this thread.

Ryan3370

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread is kind of humorous now that you posted another thread saying your personal scalper's PS5 bricked

dooz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By dooz

@efesell said:

Listen.. I don’t think there’s any hate here, or genuine anger for that matter.

But like you come in with this like I made a mistake I guess but hey I did what I had to you know how it is. Like it seems you want a pat on the back for it.

To which I still say.. Nah.

I agree. There's certainly a lot of judging going on, but hate and anger isn't the same thing as that.

As a broke person, it kind of pains me to see money being thrown around so carelessly, but that's more of a problem with me than with OP.

elisdee1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’ve never ever bought from scalpers in my life, this being the first time in 35 years of gaming, I didn’t want to miss launch day (it’s important to me been a tradition) this is the first tome I couldn’t get a pre order. I managed to buy my Xbox series X off a guy who couldn’t afford to pick it up (I paid the $750 and gave him $200 for the trouble. I bought the PS5 off a hardcore gamer who pre ordered 2 so he could get one to someone who missed out (being me) I paid $900, $750 for console plus $150 for his troubles, so I guess these were not professional scalpers but scalpers non the less. I can’t see an issue with way I come across them, these guys weee not out to make a profit yay recoup any loses on their part plus I gave them the extra for their trouble.

elisdee1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The guy that sold me his PS5 had his own system brick on him ? He can’t get another till next year. I felt bad for him I lent him my spare PS4 to play until his PS5 comes in, not sure if it’s karma or bad luck I’d say the latter. And no I’m not looking for a pat on the back I posted in “general discussion” so it could be discussed. I’m not looking for anything just want to see how other feel about it.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#42  Edited By NeverGameOver

Personally, I can think of a LOT of things I'd rather do with $1800 but meh, it's your money. It's shitty that scalpers are exploiting the situation but I'm not here to fault anyone from making the financial decisions that they want to make with their own money. I got one from Target but not sure what I would have done if I hadn't.

Kunakai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@elisdee1: "these guys weee not out to make a profit yay recoup any loses on their part"

"The guy that sold me his PS5 had his own system brick on him ? He can’t get another till next year. I felt bad for him I lent him my spare PS4 to play until his PS5 comes in, not sure if it’s karma"

I don't get it. You say you paid scalpers. Then you say you didn't pay scalpers and the people you bought from weren't out to make a profit. Then you imply one of the people who apparently did/didn't scalp is receiving karma for their not scalping?

I don't understand any of what's happening with this thread. Why in the nine hells anyone would want to announce they'd bought off scalpers or why anyone would feel compelled to announce the scalpers weren't scalpers but people you chose to pay an extra fee to.

Some advice for the future: Next time you do something which seems socially unacceptible, wait until after the chaos before confessing such to the internet.

OR

Don't paint the people who've been generous to you as the centre of the internets collective disdain.

Go with whichever is applicable.

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why is nobody mad at the retailers?

They are the only ones that could actually fix this problem.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#48 FinalDasa  Moderator

This thread wasn't your chance to just insult someone over and over.