I don't like it when Infinite gets taken over by current livestreams

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll I don't like it when Infinite gets taken over by current livestreams (68 votes)

Agree 37%
Disagree 63%

Take this Extra Life for example. It's currently playing on both /chat and /infinite. I don't see why it should play on both streams. Personally when I want to watch infinite I specifically don't want to watch /chat. It also occasionally happens when any other livestream is playing, and the poll option just show the current livestream as a premiere, but that seems more like a bug than a feature.

I get that you'd probably want to spread this stream far and wide since it's for a charity, and that I can just watch another video if I want, but I'm just saying I would prefer it to not do this. Just thought I'd voice my opinion on this.

• 
SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, I mean, you answered your own question. They want as many eyes on this as they can get, for good reasons, so just find videos the old way for a few days. Doesn't seem like a big deal.

Kaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Kaname

@sethmode:

Yes, sure, it's not a big deal. That's what I meant with the last paragraph. I hope it doesn't come across like I think it's a big deal or that I'm demanding anything or anything. Just wanted to know how others think about this as well, and voice my opinion.

And it being a charity is a good explanation, but I hope it doesn't get implemented for other events, though I see no reason to believe it will. And it picking up other livestreams I just think is a bug that I hope will get fixed at some point, but again I'm not demanding it to be fixed pronto. Just wanted to voice my opinion and gauge other people's opinions.

Seems that the stream stopped and got back to regular infinite business now though, but that seemed like a bug as well.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kaname: Sorry if I sounded rude, was more just being to the point. I didn't think you sounded like a dick or anything. I just picked right after exercising and feeling like I was going to die as my time to visit the site and probably came across more harshly than I had intended.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was this something that was happening a few hours ago? When I look now Infinite has a Giant Bombcast video from

August 2018 on it.

stalefishies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When Drew/Alexis did their stream on the /infinite page (because Burgle my Bananas was using /live) the actual infinite stream was still running, just at twitch.tv/giantbomb8. I assume that's always up, even if the giantbomb.com/infinite page isn't showing GB infinite itself.

Kaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@htr10: Yeah it was happening until 4 hours ago about. Seemed the extra life stream timed out somehow on infinite, and didn't restart but it just got the poll again.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

The way this reads to me is that you would rather sick kids potentially not receive extra donations than be inconvenienced with Infinite switching to a charity stream for awhile. Nice.

BonelessSpirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not a big deal. It's the tiniest inconvenience for a good cause. I think you know this yourself.

Kaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bonelessspirit: @mike: I thought it wouldn't make a difference in donation amounts. Seemed like it wasn't a conscious decision based on what I read in the chat either, so I wasn't the only person that didn't think it was important enough to switch over to that stream. Anybody willing to donate would watch that stream anyway, and you could also overlay a link to the current stream like with the Drew/Alexis/Ian stream to let those that would want to donate find the link anyway.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#11 chaser324  Moderator

Complaining about this is incredibly petty. It was one 12 hour stream. GB Infinite has gone offline for longer periods of time just due to random technical difficulties.

Kaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324: It happens more often though. I've seen I think a dozen or so times when Vinnyvania was playing on both infinite and /chat. That's part of what I'm talking about, hoping that that will get fixed at some point (assuming it's a bug).
But yes, I fully realize this is petty. I hoped this was evident enough from the last paragraph of the opening post.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#13 ZombiePie  Staff

This is the single largest charity drive Giant Bomb as a community commits to every year and having this temporary "inconvenience" results in literal thousands of extra dollars going to sick children in need of emergency medical treatment they otherwise cannot afford.

Kaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombiepie: Really? Thousands just from infinite? What's that compared to, not taking over infinite at all, just having an overlay, or not having infinite at all? If it's that much obviously they should keep it, but then I'd say it's pretty bad that they didn't try to fix it for the last couple of hours since that would've cost them a thousand or so then.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Who cares how much extra it means for the kids? Even if it's only potential donations, wouldn't it still be worth it?

I'm closing this thread out of disgust. Think before you post something like this on the forums next time.