How often do you change your controller?

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -1

Poll How often do you change your controller? (152 votes)

0 - 6 months 1%
6 months - year 2%
1 - 2 years 9%
2 - 4 years 29%
Only when I buy a new console 59%

I find myself buying a new controller every 3 months. It's expensive, but I just like the feel of a new controller. I guess it helps that every so often, Sony updates their line of controllers with new colors as an incentive to buy a new one.

• 
berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darn it. Should have added a line for > 4 years. I can't seem to edit it.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

I guess 2-4 years is my choice (assuming we separate each length of time to individual consoles) but I usually only buy one if a controller is really messing up or if I need another controller for local multiplayer stuff which isn't often. For this generation, I've bought two PS4 controllers, one Xbox One controller and a pro controller for the Switch and I feel no reason to buy anymore until next gen.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm still using a launch Xbox 360 controller on my PC so I guess once every 15 years or so?

I did buy an Xbox one controller a while back but I really dislike it. The sticks feel too loose (even in comparison to a 15 year old controller that gets daily use!) and the buttons are all rather... clacky? It just doesn't feel as responsive at all.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

when it breaks

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I've had the same PS4 controller for over 5 years.

Mendelson9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I recently bought a new Xbox controller just for PC games so I wouldn't need to sync every time I switched between console and computer. Otherwise I only get a new controller when one breaks.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#7 FinalDasa  Moderator

Rarely. Usually until it falls apart. I had to finally buy a new PS4 controller after the thumbstick rubber fell apart.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When it breaks.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

Basically never. My original launch PS4 controller started having those rubber issues on the sticks so I bought those rubber “gamer” thumb stick covers and that alleviated the issue. Bought an Elite for my XB1X but honestly I was perfectly satisfied with the default controller. In fact the Elite has this issue that no one talks about but is quite prevalent where the sticks are so heavy that when snapping back to neutral they will very often register the opposite direction before settling to middle. Normally you don’t notice this but when playing a precision platformer like Hollow Knight where you do a lot of directional inputs it can really get in the way. I know a lot of people will use a DPad for those but personally I find the thumb stick more comfortable.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'm still using the controllers I got with my launch PS4 Pro and Xbox One X.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When it's broken.

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Anther vote for when it's broken. Although both my joy cons have major drift issues but I don't have the budget to replace them knowing the same issue might arise with the new ones.

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

Wow, I'm surprised I'm on the low end of this one. I used to change it even more often. But recently I've let it go longer. I think my oldest controller is the the crappy PS4 blue controller that has been plugged into my old PS4, my PS4 Pro, and for a while my PC. Other than that one though I change my controllers about every 1-2 years or when they break/wear out. Which usually happens with one of the analog sticks or the A/X button.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#14 fisk0  Moderator

I had to buy a new PS3 controller once over that generation and still use the same 360 controller on my PC as I did 10 years ago, so it's definitely more than 5 years in either case, on average maybe 8-10 years.

jamesyfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Until destruction... which seems like never. Controllers are usually designed to be battered.

I bought an afterglow 360 pad for my PC about 10 years ago and it's still going strong. Compatibility is 90% - a few games it behaves oddly, like Tetris Effect. Toying with the idea of replacing it, but it still works.

lawl3rbawl3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I replace my controller whenever the terribly designed right bumper breaks on the xbox one controllers. This has been the only breaking point for me and my friends.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

When it no longer works as originally intended.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Only when one breaks, which to my memory has not happened during this or the last generation of consoles.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When it breaks. Compulsively buying new controllers is very wasteful.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Had one of the white Dualshocks that came out around Destiny's launch act wonky for me, so that had to be replaced. Otherwise...well, I've bought one extra controller for PS4 merely because of a cool color. I also bought the Elite 2 despite already having an Xbone controller, but that was more to spoil myself a little.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've my original ds4 controllers from launch. I bought one more, the limited edition they did for 500m console sales or whatever it was because I really liked the look of it. Other than that I've never bought a controller unless it breaks and the only controller I've ever had break on me was a wired 360 one I used on PC that ended up with unfixable stick drift.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had 3 PS4 controllers since launch, the one that came bundled broke and I like always having one on charge while I use the other so I have 2 currently. I'll only buy another if one of them is ruined but I try to take pretty good care of them so it's probably not gonna happen again (a nephew ruined the OG controller...)

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Oh, god. I'm always switching controllers out. I probably own between ten and twenty different controllers, Xbox One and PS4 combined. I have at least three pairs of Joycons and multiple controllers (Pro, GameCube) for the Switch.

I think I just have a personal tic or something. There's nothing generally wrong with any of the controllers I use, I just like to have a regular rotation of colors and hand-feels that I like to alternate between. For me, playing with a new or different controller is can be a novel way to experience a game. It's entirely irrational and weird, but instead of trying to explain it away I've more or less completely bought into it.

I'm the same way with keyboards. Using the same keyboard day-in and day-out bores me, so I will rotate keyboards out for their differing tactile feel. Sometimes I'll write on a laptop instead of a desktop to get the same effect.

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have gone through about 7 PS4 controllers since launch. While there are 3 of us who use these controllers, I do no think that we are particularly hard on them. Yet, they all tend to eventually suffer from either stick drift/input lag or buttons that stop responding.

MrRojan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Change? No. Do I have a random assortment of controllers? Yes. I have my main ones for each system/computer but some live in the packaging.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I use them until they die, but because of some problems with Sony controllers in the past two generations of there console i have bought some extra controllers. The PS3 launched without rumble so i had to buy a new one when it came out. i still have that DS3 and use it with my PC. And the battery life in the DS4 is crap compared to the DS3 so i bought another one to swap out so i can keep on playing without a cord attached. The only time i have replaced a working controller was the DS4 that came with my PS4, because i had the problem where the rubber came off one of the analog sticks. i still have it, but it is not in the rotation and is used as the guest controller.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found my perfect controller, it's a specific green and orange Xbox One pad, so far i've had it 3 years and it's still useable, i bought another for when it does get too worn but i guess with a good pad i'd need to replace it... 5-6 years?
I had to get new 360 pads more often due to the awful d-pad, but the one they released with the twisty d-pad was great.

mattimus_prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@berfunkle: you get a new controller every 3 months? That is insane. What do you do with the old ones?

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every three months?? Alrighty. I'm gonna say that puts you in very unusual company.

I have a controller or two for each device and basically never break them. The only replacement I can remember buying over the last decade is a new set of Switch Joy Cons. Because those things are trash.

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By berfunkle

@mattimus_prime: I collect them!

Okay, admittedly, I wasn't doing this during the PS3/Xbox 360 gen. I didn't have the money for one thing and it's only for the PS4.

What can I say? I love the colors? And as I said previously, I like the feel and handling of a brand new controller. Further, I have no intention of trashing them since all the ones I have work. Well, there is the exception of that one blueberry colored controller I spilled coke on. That was a good controller too.

mattimus_prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@berfunkle: that’s a pretty unique Collection. I usually make a controller last an entire console generation. I don’t play as much as I’d like to anymore so it’s no surprise that my DS4 controller has lasted but even when I was playing 40+ hours a week in the ps3 eraI always used the same ds3 controller. Still have the same one. Works perfect feels good as new. Well I assume. I’m actually not sure where it is now.

Avatar image for deactivated-649e6d7f86ede
deactivated-649e6d7f86ede

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess I must be rough on my controllers. The sticks on my DS4s seem to go loose in under a year and the battery life isn't amazing, so I have a few now. I've been paying the $8 or whatever for the warranty at EB Games and just getting them replaced when the sticks feel overly slack since it's a lot cheaper than outright buying new controllers, but probably won't be doing that anymore so that I don't continue to support GameStop.

Uriarra-Heap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TL;DR I replace my controller when a better controller comes on the market.

I am a PC gamer and go for the Xbox style controller. Replacing my controller has depended on the company (looking at you Razer). With the Series 1 Xbox Elite controller I had to replace parts after 1 year. Even though it was a very good controller and still worked well, I replaced it with the series 2 Elite Xbox controller, which is a better controller. I don't care about the expense, because AUD$250 is disposable cash to me, so I will replace my controller when a better one comes on the market.

mrroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@humanity said:

the Elite has this issue that no one talks about but is quite prevalent where the sticks are so heavy that when snapping back to neutral they will very often register the opposite direction before settling to middle.

Argh, yes, agreed! I've been annoyed with that particular issue for a long time. Been experiencing it quite a bit in the new Ori game. Is this the new version of the Elite that still has the same problem?

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

My original DualShock 4 had some beer spilled on it or something and got a little weird, but only with certain games. I could play a lot of games normal, but at the time NBA 2K was my most played games and it would just do weird random dribble moves when I least expected it, so I replaced it with another black controller. I got a white Destiny controller at the same time since I was about to have roommates and figured we might play some Street Fighter or Sportsfriends from time to time, and while the rubber has mostly peeled off of both controllers I still use them to this day because they still control the games.

It's like vacuums, shoes, clothes and all that sort of evergreen stuff I balk at the price of without factoring in how long I'll own them. I'll go to a bar and spend $50 with a $20 tip and not blink, but ask me to spend $50 on a video game controller and I just can't even fathom a world outside of the one I've got physically disintegrating in which I'd replace it.

MrSparkles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've honestly seen no need to change controllers in the decades I've been gaming. Unless keyboards count!

Unlike previous generations, I find the analog sticks on current gen controllers to wear out rather easily. When the wear and tear is too much, rather than swap out the entire controller, I just decide to open up the current one and put in new analog sticks. Do a little bit of cleaning and voila, it's as good as new!

Also, anyone else notice how new color schemes come out near the end of a console's life cycle? PS5 and Series X are around the corner!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

@mrroach said:
@humanity said:

the Elite has this issue that no one talks about but is quite prevalent where the sticks are so heavy that when snapping back to neutral they will very often register the opposite direction before settling to middle.

Argh, yes, agreed! I've been annoyed with that particular issue for a long time. Been experiencing it quite a bit in the new Ori game. Is this the new version of the Elite that still has the same problem?

I remember reading up on this and I don't think they do mostly because you can adjust the tension so you can physically make them tighter which I imagine would help a lot. I was actually pretty surprised at how very loose the Elite 1 sticks are straight out of the box - much more so than the stock XB1 controller. With Ori I didn't feel it as much but when playing Hollow Knight it was a real problem as I would very often flip directions when evading attacks in mid air.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Still using my launch PS4 controller. The battery doesn't last for shit, but I only use the console for 2-4 games a year so I can deal with it. On my third Xbox One controller, because that console gets a lot more use in my household. Only replaced the first two because of button/stick problems after a few years of use.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Generally only when getting a new console. With the Switch I did buy a new pair of joy-con when the launch ones stopped responding to the system about a year ago.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I think I am on only my second PS4 controller, but I have the older of the two at my parents house.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Only when they break/when a new console releases. I even opened up a DS4 and replaced a wonky thumbstick, but other than that, new controllers are purchased strictly when required.

Bonbonetti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

If it breaks. I use a regular wireless 360' controller and a Steam controller for all my PC gaming needs. My Playstation and Xbox controllers have never actually broken on me, heck even my PS2 controller that came with the box still works great.