How many Discord servers are you active on?

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Poll How many Discord servers are you active on? (78 votes)

0 (Discord is for chumps) 42%
1-3 44%
4-6 10%
7-10 1%
10+ 3%

Use your own judgment for what you consider is “active” instead of simply lurking.

I’m curious because I find myself joining a bunch of Discord servers and falling off pretty quickly. I can only manage to keep up with a handful at a time.

• 
Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I am actually active on one, but i have 5-ish that i just have to be able to browse a bit or to get a quick notification that someone went live somewhere.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

Four.

Two of them I actually post on a lot. The third is for Roll20, I post on it some but usually it's used for tabletop games. The fourth has a few people active on it that I play Siege with a lot, but there are a lot of people on it who I don't really know so I don't make posts on it a lot. Just join voice chat with the handful of people that also join voice chat for multiplayer games.

EDIT: Worth noting, I've actually joined a lot more than four Discord servers. I have some friends on others. I joined some for games that I like and some for Let's Players that I like. I'm in the Giantbomb Discord. I just haven't done much with any of those. I joined voice chat on a few of them occasionally and just felt incredibly awkward, so I didn't keep doing that.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1 personal, and then 3-4 assorted communities. active in 3 i suppose. and even there, within the large communities i'm only following 1 or 2 channels.

i have a feeling there might be a return to something akin forums at some point (or maybe reddit just consumes all, ugh). because it really does feel impossible to stay on top of discussions in multiple discords...you kinda need to pick your spots.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None.

I USE discord from time to time but it's always for a specific reason, never to just be a part of a general chat.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#5 FinalDasa  Moderator

Active? Only a few. I'm in several but keeping up with so many servers, especially larger ones with hundreds of people, is practically impossible.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I'm active in one right now. I used to be active in more, but it was too much to follow.

i have a feeling there might be a return to something akin forums at some point (or maybe reddit just consumes all, ugh). because it really does feel impossible to stay on top of discussions in multiple discords...you kinda need to pick your spots.

Agreed. Discord servers are fine if there's like maybe 15 or 20 active people max. Past that they become way too much to follow. Once a server gets big enough it becomes largely useless for actual conversations. They tried to mitigate this issue with threads but even those past a certain point are too hard to follow.

Another thing I don't like about Discord is that it has started to harm the ability to find useful information. Forums on dedicated websites (or Reddit) are searchable and make it easy to google questions and find answers. It's quite annoying now that when looking for info on things, often you are pointed to dedicated Discord servers for help. This is fine on the surface but it's very inefficient since you have to join the server then either try searching for a conversation with the relevant info you want or you have to ask questions that probably have been asked a million times before and in the past wouldn't have required pestering people to get an answer for.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

None. I'm not even entirely sure what Discord actually is to be honest. I'm under the assumption that it's serves as some sort of voice chat solution that is also kind of like reddit or something. I don't know. The only communicating I do with people over the internet is on the forums here.

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 10

Easy 0.

I’ve glanced at a couple over the years and found them basically impossible to navigate.

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

To some extent it would depend on what constitutes 'active', but I think think if sticking to a baseline of posting in them within a max of 3 or 4 days, currently it hovers around 7. Half are Twitch channels I mod in, the others are a mix of longtime friends or music related. Within those, the range of active users would be around 5 to 50. I do also have the Discords I'm joined to categorized into folders, and that categorization is largely based upon frequency of use (e.g. I have servers I'm only in as a nicety, some for the emotes, some that I read from but don't post in, etc.).

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I have a personal server that my friends use to voice chat when we play strategy games. I also recently joined the Weird West server since that was the most convenient way to do bug reporting. Otherwise, zilch.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zero, i get that it can be a great tool for communication and making small groups.

But my main gripe about discord is that so much content has gone from forum/boards to Discord. Its not searchable and its not archived. So if and when Discord vanishes a lot of knowledge goes with it.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

I'm loosely active in two, mostly the one for my Twitch channel. I've joined a lot of others, though; I use Discord largely as an address book to keep track of people. I don't really like Discord and a lot of it is unintuitive to me, as it seems to be for other people.

styx971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By styx971

i'm in about 17 of them , i only pay attention to a few here n there and only really talk in one or 2 sporadically . i don't really care for the chat room nature of it . its fine for what it is but unless i'm jumping in for a reason i feel generally out of place.

Bogard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in 29 but picked 1-3 because those are how many I pay attention to.