Hooking PS3/360 to laptop or PC screen.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

Has anyone ever done it? What do you need so you can do it? So you can see it in all the nice resolutions and also have nice sound? I care more about the PC screen rather than the laptop though, so.... yeah.
Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Nate

I hooked my PS2 up to my PC about 3 years ago. It didn't work so well. There was a delay between my actions and the display on the monitor, but I'm pretty sure I ran it through my actual PC (it was a media center PC with all sorts of hook--ups) and if I had run it to the monitor instead that might have been better.  There's lots of info out there on how to do this stuff. I'll give you the same advice that I give to everyone for any problem/question----- GOOGLE IT!   
Good luck :)

RankRabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By RankRabbit

I just bought a monitor with hdmi ports, easy enough, I even hook my laptop up to it sometimes when I want a larger screen to look at.

jim_dandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jim_dandy

There's also HDMI to DVI cables.

I'm using the overpriced Microsoft VGA cable as my DVI is being used by my video card.

macandcheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By macandcheese

I currently run all my games of a 23 inch computer screen since my dorm room is too large for my 32 inch TV. Its nice and I have had no problems with any sort of lag, the display is nice and crisp  although it can be hard to read the text sometimes since the screen is small and some games like to put lots of test on screen (dragon age comes to mind). Overall its a great way to go just make sure the screen has HDMI ports to make youre life easier.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Got my 23 inch acer that has a nice fancy HDMI port in the back, so hell yeah I hook up my 360 to it when I want to give the consoles a little love. 

Also when I run an HDMI cable, for some reason the 360 says it's running at 1080p+A. Does anyone know what this means? For reference, along with the HDMI, I also have a standard definition composite hook up running to some external speakers, because my screen speakers suck balls. The yellow video cable is just hanging out.

There are also those VGA cables out there for 360 as well. From what I have seen, you still get some great picture quality, and you can still run the sound to a pair of speakers or something.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NTM
@Nate:
Yeah I've done that, but still. There's so much out there that's so different from one another, I thought I'd ask in depth on how I want it instead of that stuff.
xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By xMP44x
I have done it with my Xbox 360, but I have no experience connecting any other console to a monitor. I use an NEC AccuSync 52VM, which is a couple of years old and has a maximum resolution of 1024x768. You'll need an Xbox 360 VGA Cable to use a VGA monitor, like my NEC. They're pretty pricey if you buy them from Microsoft themselves, but it's possible to buy unofficial cables, or even rip a VGA and 360 RCA cable apart, to solder  into one 360 VGA cable. I would not go down that route though, because it looks difficult to do and I'm not so good when it comes to using my hands, unless they're gripped around a controller. 

Basically, the 360 VGA Cable is a standard VGA Cable, but with one end to plug into the 360 instead. So you just connect it up securely, put your monitor on, and stick the 360 on. If you're lucky enough to have a headset jack in your monitor as well, you can plug a standard audio jack in and listen to your game audio through the headset. I find that it only works if I plug my Sony MDR-XD200 headphones in halfway for whatever reason, or it'll play all audio through one side. So all in all, you're going to get a lot more from your 360 if you're coming from a 14" CRT like I was. 

One word of warning though, if you are coming from such a thing you will likely see everything in low resolutions unless you go through your 360's System Settings and change to a higher resolution. Going too high with your resolution though will mean you wind up with a messed up display, but that can be fixed by going back to a lower resolution which did work. Believe me, if you previously played in SD, a monitor will blow you away.
skadbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By skadbob

With the 360 you can use either Microsoft's overpriced VGA cable or a simple HMDI cable (provided your monitor also has speakers). Or iyou can use Microsoft's really overpriced HDMI cable kit if sound output is an issue. The 360 supports all kinds of PC monitor resolutions through the VGA cable and generally does a great job accommodating the 16:9 aspect ratio of games to those resolutions. 

I've only connected my PS3 to my monitor with an HDMI cable before and the PS3 seems to only support 16:9 aspect ratio... so if your monitor is 16:10, you'll notice that you're actually losing some image. The great thing about using HDMI with the PS3, though, is that you do not need to pay for an HDMI kit to be able to use the RCA white and red connectors for separate stereo audio output.