Have you ever duplicate game purchases for multi-platforms?

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By GTxForza

The following games that I duplicate game purchase from a platform to one another are:

• GRID (PC and Xbox 360)
  • The Crew 2 (Xbox One and PS4)
  • DiRT Rally 2.0 (Xbox One and PC)
  • GRID 2019 (Xbox One and PC)
  • Project Cars 2 (Xbox One and PC)

Well, I'm personally getting less interested in the Xbox brand and I've heard it got less popular for some reasons since 2013. In early 2020, that's the last time when I loved this console brand until it's games showcase back in July 2020.

The Xbox 360 was my platform of choice during the 7th-gen console era.

The problem with Ubisoft's games on PC is their crappy DRM (Uplay/Ubisoft Connect) which result in not able to launch them properly while gamers are having hard times.

If PS5's 1st parties that I'm interested in, getting released onto PC, I might duplicate purchase from console and PC version, but what if Sony sends players of PC versions of PlayStation game's Steam-code (For those who played them on console), that will be better.

P.S I'm still neutral between desktop gaming PC and PlayStation consoles (Except for handhelds), due to my fond memories of loving them both from my early to late adolescence.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got multiple duplicates between PC and console, mostly in cases where a game comes out on PC first and I buy it, but then remember that I very rarely play games on my PC. I then buy a copy on console and actually play it there. I have some duplicates on Xbox and PS, but that is almost always a case where one offers the game for free (PS Plus or Games with Gold, so not actually free) after I have already bought it on the other console. I also have duplicated game purchases on the Switch, just because that is the most convenient platform to play on (games like Xcom 2 and Invisible Inc). In any case, I basically never actively play a game on multiple consoles.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

If I find myself with the lesser version then yes!

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I bought both gen versions of NBA 2K14 when that came out. Which seemed like the thing to do at the time, because the old gen version didn't have their new story based career mode in it, and when I got the new gen console, I wanted to play that.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By FacelessVixen

Skyrim. Dark Souls. Dragon's Dogma. Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Fallout 3. Borderlands. Far Cry 3. Resident Evil 4. Resident Evil 5. Star Wars Battlefront 2 (2005). Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. Saints Row 2. Saints Row The Third. Saints Row 4. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. Grand Theft Auto 4. Grand Theft Auto 5. Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus. Armored Core 4. Burnout Paradise. Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (2010). Devil May Cry. Devil May Cry 2. Devil May Cry 3. Devil May Cry 4. Final Fantasy X. Final Fantasy X-2. Final Fantasy XII. Final Fantasy XIII. Halo 3. Gears of War. Bayonetta. Hitman: Absolution. Dead Rising. Castle Crashers. Mass Effect. Mass Effect 2. Mass Effect 3. The Orange Box. Hotline Miami. Persona 4. Metal Gear Solid 2. Metal Gear Solid 3. Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker. Kingdom Hearts. Kingdom Hearts 2. Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep. Ratchet & Clank. Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando. Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal. Jak X Combat Racing. Dissidia Final Fantasy NT. And Horizon Zero Dawn.

Edit 1:
...Oh, and Far Cry 2 and Crysis.

Edit 2:
...And Metal Gear Rising, Need for Speed Underground 1, Need for Speed Most Wanted (2005), Kingdoms of Amalur, and Burnout Revenge.

Okay. Let's make this into an actual fucking list of games that I've bought multiple times, since I'm sure that I'm still forgetting a few more here and there, and more remasters, like the 3D Ninja Gaiden trilogy, are an eventuality.

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got multiple duplicates between PC and console, mostly in cases where a game comes out on PC first and I buy it, but then remember that I very rarely play games on my PC. I then buy a copy on console and actually play it there. I have some duplicates on Xbox and PS, but that is almost always a case where one offers the game for free (PS Plus or Games with Gold, so not actually free) after I have already bought it on the other console. I also have duplicated game purchases on the Switch, just because that is the most convenient platform to play on (games like Xcom 2 and Invisible Inc). In any case, I basically never actively play a game on multiple consoles.

That's good to hear about owning several platforms.

I also see there is nothing bad about gamers personally want to duplicate games for each version of the platform because they have the rights to collect whatever they want.

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GTxForza

@facelessvixen said:

Skyrim. Dark Souls. Dragon's Dogma. Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Fallout 3. Borderlands. Far Cry 3. Resident Evil 4. Resident Evil 5. Star Wars Battlefront 2 (2005). Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. Saints Row 2. Saints Row The Third. Saints Row 4. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. Grand Theft Auto 4. Grand Theft Auto 5. Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus. Armored Core 4. Burnout Paradise. Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (2010). Devil May Cry. Devil May Cry 2. Devil May Cry 3. Devil May Cry 4. Final Fantasy X. Final Fantasy X-2. Final Fantasy XII. Final Fantasy XIII. Halo 3. Gears of War. Bayonetta. Hitman: Absolution. Dead Rising. Castle Crashers. Mass Effect. Mass Effect 2. Mass Effect 3. The Orange Box. Hotline Miami. Persona 4. Metal Gear Solid 2. Metal Gear Solid 3. Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker. Kingdom Hearts. Kingdom Hearts 2. Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep. Ratchet & Clank. Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando. Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal. Jak X Combat Racing. Dissidia Final Fantasy NT. And Horizon Zero Dawn.

...Oh, and Far Cry 2.

That's an awesome list of games.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

Getting a Switch has made this a lot more common for me.

trh5001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Diablo 3 for pc, then 360, then xbox one, then ps4, then switch.

Not different consoles but persona 5 3 times on disc.

nateandrews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

Sorta. I've definitely bought Skyrim and GTA V several times. But having a PC makes it very easy to duplicate purchases, since a lot of my favorite console games can be bought for ultra cheap on PC, either due to sales or just the games being old. Plus, there's Game Pass which kinda halfway duplicates some of my library.

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Getting a Switch has made this a lot more common for me.

That's nice to hear!

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I bought Borderlands 3 for PS4 and couldnt stand the controls. I bought it again on Epic and got less far than I did before

What a letdown

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

With how cheap digital games get, the amount of remasters and versions of some games, and how many bundles i get, and with stuff like PS+ and games stores like Epic and GoG giving games away just to get you into there store, its hard not to own multiple copies of a game. I cant even tell you off hand how many copies of MGS3 i have because i bought multiple PS2 versions and bundles on disk, and there is the HD remaster for Vita and PS3. And sometimes it just pure laziness or keeping the old disk copy in better condition. Kinda wish GoG Galaxy would give you a nice list of how many game dupes i have on there, and that's not even pulling the Vita/PS3 digital and old disk games i have.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Basically everything that i played on PS2 and 360 that i later played on PC for better performance or in remastered forms.
It's not the same but the most repurchasing of a game i've done is for Tekken Tag 2 on 360, i pre ordered the special edition but it didn't arrive on launch day and it's the only game i've ever absolutely HAD to play on day one, so i went to a store and convinced them i had a pre order, then later when it was released digitally i got it again so i could play without using the disc.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remasters aplenty but I do own Assetto Corsa on PC and PS4. Both were cheap for £7 each and the latter had the DLC.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

A few times. The idea usually to get a console game on pc. That way it isn't lost to a new console with no backwards compatibility or something related.

Usually, I wait for a sale. Salt and Sanctuary comes to mind as an example.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have. I got Terraria for the PS3 years ago after having it for the PC too (I know, I know). Definitely have with rereleases that barely qualify as "remasters." I recently the got Prinny: Can I Really Be The Hero? rerelease for the Switch after originally playing it in '09. Super underrated game, by the way, and not nearly as unfair as people let on.

Really thinking about getting A Hat In Time for the Switch after Platinuming it on PS4. Why? Because the PS4 / XBONE versions got absolutely SHAFTED when it came to the DLCs. Oh well. I wouldn't mind playing it again anyway.

This_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

There's a ton of games I've bought multiple times over the years, and the problem has only gotten worse recently with purchasing certain things on the switch that I've already played elsewhere, just to have the convenience of the game being portable then. My most purchased and repurchased game is still Final Fantasy VII. I've just resigned to the fact that I will purchase that game every time it is released.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm probably most guilty of doing this with fighting games, mostly because I got them on a whole bunch of different consoles when fighting games didn't really get PC releases, then later got on them on PC when it became more common for those ports to happen. Have done it with Guilty Gear, Street Fighter, King Of Fighters etc

I've bought Bayonetta on 3 different platforms, because I initially got the PS3 version, which is a terrible port and clearly the game deserved better than to be experienced that way, so I basically just set it aside until I got the Wii U version, then I got the PC port when that came out. I'm sure I'll end up with the Switch version at some stage. Turns out I like Bayonetta 1 quite a lot.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By Onemanarmyy

I think i have bought a bunch of PC games that otherwise i would have to dig up my PS3 for. Fallout New Vegas & Brothers in Arms comes to mind. Also have some metal gears double because i decided to buy that MG1,2,MGS1,2,3,4 pack on PS3. And then there are some older games that i probably have somewhere in the attic, but wanted to have an easy digital version of as well. But i think it's in the ballpark of 10-15 games.

I do weirdly enjoy that i was able to wait 1,5 years for the PC version of GTA V instead of buying a version that would barely run on my PS3 and later having to double dip. The same kind of satisfaction as purchasing parts tht give you a big jump in PC power and looking back at all the smaller improvements you could have bought but decided to sit out :)

Janglers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skyrim

Titanfall (PC and Xbox)

GTA5 (PC, XBOX 360 AND ONE)

jamesyfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For some games, an insane amount of times. For most games, I'll buy the console version if it's a timed exclusive and then when it comes on PC, I'll purchase it again there. Too many to mention, but some examples...

Thumper: PC, Switch, PS4
Skyrim: PC, PS3, Xbox 360, PS4, Switch, PC - VR (ugh)
Binding of Isaac: PC, Switch, PS4

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I ended up with Skyrim just about everywhere, GTA v, Hollow Knight, Wolfenstein 2. I used to have a setup where my PC was next to my couch so that I could just put my feet up and play and when I moved I ended up buying a bunch of games that I owned on PC on Xbox. I know PS4 was the frontrunner last gen but I just love the Xbox ecosystem and hate that PS4 interface with a passion

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yes, because I am a fool. Typically they’re Bethesda or Rockstar games. At the very least I think I have San Andreas for three platforms, Skyrim for three (plus the VR version for PC and not counting Game Pass on Xbox One), GTAV for three, Red Dead Redemption 2 for two, Fallout 4, 3 and NV for two (not counting Game Pass), Oblivion and Morrowind for two, Prey for two and OG Star Wars Battlefront 2 for two. I’ve also bought copies multiple times for the same platform on occasion (e.g. I have two PC copies of San Andreas, one an unpatched disk version with all the music still there that’s compatible with my old clear save, and the other the nerfed Steam version).

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, because I am a fool. Typically they’re Bethesda or Rockstar games. At the very least I think I have San Andreas for three platforms, Skyrim for three (plus the VR version for PC and not counting Game Pass on Xbox One), GTAV for three, Red Dead Redemption 2 for two, Fallout 4, 3 and NV for two (not counting Game Pass), Oblivion and Morrowind for two, Prey for two and OG Star Wars Battlefront 2 for two. I’ve also bought copies multiple times for the same platform on occasion (e.g. I have two PC copies of San Andreas, one an unpatched disk version with all the music still there that’s compatible with my old clear save, and the other the nerfed Steam version).

Please don't feel guilty if you duplicate games for each platform.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#27  Edited By liquiddragon

I will have FFX and MGS games on every platform I own. No one can stop me, not even myself.

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will have FFX and MGS games on every platform I own. No one can stop me, not even myself.

Good choices.

peffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only game I remember doing this for is Broken Age, and that was only because.. well I forget exactly what happened, but I think I bought Episode 1 on PC before they announced the PS4 complete version. I didn't even download it on PC, I just decided to play it all on PS4. I always prefer to play on PlayStation because I have to have trophies. The ~$10 I wasted on the PC version still haunts me.

I usually do not have time/interest in replaying stuff. Unless I can get trophies for it.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do this all the time for all sorts of reasons. Most frequently it's because I own a game but get another copy for "free" like through a Humble Bundle subscription or Games With Gold or PS+ or whatever. Other times it's double dipping because a better version comes out and I'd rather play that one. This could be a remastered version or like a Switch game that gets a PS4/PS5 version with a better frame rate and resolution. I almost never pay full price when double dipping this way but if I see something on sale I don't mind paying a small upgrade fee.

Occasionally I will double dip just to support a series I like, or because there are games I like to have on lots of platforms (usually quick arcadey titles like Downfall) or whatever. This is rare. Even rarer is double dipping for something like trophy support or because I'd rather play a game with a certain controller, but I think I've only done that a few times and the games were ultra cheap, like 80% off or more.

My most recent double dip was actually yesterday. I have fallen down an Ys hole and I have Ys Book I and II Chronicles digitally on PSP which works with my Vita. I turned on my Vita, booted up the game, and realized that I had absolutely no desire to play these action RPGs on that tiny screen, and I would be hunched over and uncomfortable and straining my eyes and it just wasn't worth it. So I bought the Steam version, plugged in an Xbox controller, and I played through Ys Book I yesterday.

Do I regret it? No. It would not have been a good experience for me on the Vita. I might even have thrown the damn thing in frustration trying to take on Vagullion and Dark Fact. Playing on PC I at least wasn't straining my eyes and was able to hold the controller in a comfortable position as I spent like 10-15 minutes or whatever running those guys again and again (at least this version of the game has good, quick, save and load features.)

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#31 FinalDasa  Moderator

More than I'd like to admit to.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't do this often, but I do have 3 copies of Bayonetta. PS3, than again on Switch bundled with Bayonetta 2, then again on PC bundled with Vanquish. One of my favorite games ever so it's worth having the best version (PC).

Oh, also Vanquish because I have that on PS3.

First Mirror's Edge on PS3 and PC.

I think that's it.

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't do this often, but I do have 3 copies of Bayonetta. PS3, than again on Switch bundled with Bayonetta 2, then again on PC bundled with Vanquish. One of my favorite games ever so it's worth having the best version (PC).

Oh, also Vanquish because I have that on PS3.

First Mirror's Edge on PS3 and PC.

I think that's it.

Platinum Games is such a talented studio.

Bayonetta series is great but I still don't know why Bayonetta 3 hasn't finished its development yet but all we can do is stay tuned.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#34 fisk0  Moderator

Got a lot of duplicates in the PS2 and PS3 eras. Also ended up with a decent number of duplicates on PC as GOG is my preferred store but sometimes things end up exlucisve to Steam or EGS or whatever for years before they come there (and in a few cases the Steam version has better multiplayer or modding options, but I like to have the DRM free GOG version as well).

Anyway, when it comes to the PS3 era, I think I basically ended up with a duplicate copies across PS3 and PC for every game that wasn't exclusive.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gtxforza: I think they announced Bayonetta 3 too early. Nintendo wanted people to know it was coming to help Switch sales, but Platinum was working on Neir Automata, Astral Chain, and Wonderful 101 at that time. Platinum isn't big enough to have full teams making three projects at once. My guess is they had a small group making Bayo until fairly recently.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, I even have some duplicates of the same game on the same system. Most notably:

Resident Evil:
- PS1 (original)
- PS1 (directors cut)
- PS4/5 (REmake HD)
- Gamecube (English black & yellow label)
- Gamecube (Japanese black label)
- PC (REmake HD)
- Xbox1 (REmake HD)

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By GTxForza

@judaspete said:

@gtxforza: I think they announced Bayonetta 3 too early. Nintendo wanted people to know it was coming to help Switch sales, but Platinum was working on Neir Automata, Astral Chain, and Wonderful 101 at that time. Platinum isn't big enough to have full teams making three projects at once. My guess is they had a small group making Bayo until fairly recently.

Oh, that makes sense, I didn't know that and thanks for the information.