Have a screwed myself in Outer Worlds?

ashton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I've been playing The Outer Worlds and have really been enjoying it, but I think I've screwed up and have completely broken the game for myself. I stole something out of a crate in Fallbrook and instead of letting the person who saw me catch up to me, confront me about it, do the whole speech check thing and be on my way, I decided to just run back out to the Wilderness as the door was right there. Everyone went hostile on me for doing that but I went through the door anyway. I thought that would be end of it. I carried on playing for a number of hours making progress on other quests before going back to see Catherine. But now as soon as I go into Fallbrook the NPC's kick off and start shooting me. Is there any way to stop this happening or am I completely fucked now every time I need to go back to this place? If I have to roll back to an earlier save I think I'll be dropping this game out of frustration for the foreseeable future. Thanks for any and all advice.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I had a similar issue, but it was very late game.

Whatever happened, I sure as shit pissed off the corporation. I was shoot-on-site status everywhere I went. It made completing the last few side missions an exercise in stealth. Citizens would see me and call for help, and guards would arrive, blasting. It became easy to accidentally kill NPCs and maybe lose quest lines.

I rolled with it, and it was a cool, weird thing. Not having a way out though...that’d suck. It would be cool to just implement a cooldown or buy-your-way-out-of-trouble mechanic....last I knew, though, there’s no such thing.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@ashton: My guess would be that you can't do anything to undo it. It does suck that once that hostile switch is flipped it's irreversible. There could be a chance that Catherine won't shoot at you, even after you slaughter every Fallbrook villager. That's probably what I would try next. If you end up killing Catherine well... that would fuck up that quest for sure. Good luck!

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Sahalarious

this is a major issue, and has ruined parts of this game for me. I understand having a more populated and dense game than Fallout, but if these hostilities are going to carry on, implement a prison system to reset it like Oblivion had. I turned on this game real hard, somewhere between pissing off the rich people city in its entirety by accident, and having like 30 quests that all sounded lame. Back on fallout 4 though so thats fun!

gunflame88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I remember there was a loading screen tip that said that if you make a settlement angry you can return to it after a few days and people won't be pissed off if your reputation is not in the dumps. Try finding a bed and passing a few days to see if it helps.

ashton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ashton

@casepb: Yeah I'm in the deal with Caleb part of the questline. I did try once, just to test, running through the down, past everyone shooting at me and back to Catherine, but as soon as I walked into her office she went hostile.

@sahalarious:I guess I should have just reloaded right then and there but I really didn't think it would go so badly. With so much else to play at the moment I just can't justify going back so many hours. Sucks because similar issues caused me to drop Fallout 4 and Oblivion!

@gunflame88: Thanks for that. I will try maybe going back to the ship and sleeping a bunch of times, hopefully that'll do something. Or maybe go off planet and come back.

Thanks everyone!

ashton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nutter: @sahalarious: Happy to update that I seemed to have fixed my situation. I fast travelled back to my ship and slept a number of times. Just maxed out the sleep timer 3 times to be safe and then fast travelled back to town and all seemed back to normal. Also switched up my party though not sure that made much of a difference compared to just sleeping and letting time pass.

Thanks for all the tips everyone! Best community on the internet!

ashton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ashton: Cancel that! FFS!!! I must have gone into the town through a different route and all was fine with people on one side of town. But then as soon as I walked past a certain threshold, where I guess the original incident happened, the NPCs went off and starting shooting me again. Guess I'm done with this game. Such bullshit.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If you are on PC you can use a trainer or cheat engine table to reset your reputations. If you are on console then IDK.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I had a similar thing happen after running from a fight in Byzantium. I ended up replaying several hours, and it sucked. Sleeping didn't do anything.

You should still be able to progress in the main story, you just won't be able to have certain quests in Fallbrook, and there will probably only be one way you can finish that big quest line (by siding with MSI instead of the Iconoclasts). You're screwed out of some quests and a certain detail during the end of the game, but you should be able to finish the game itself.

So, are you screwed? Not completely; you can still finish the game and most quests. That said, I totally get why this would sour you on the experience and make you not want to finish it. The reputation system was not implemented very well.

ltcolumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ltcolumbo

Since the trunk randomly detached itself from my car in Fallout 2 nearly 20 years ago, I have since never gone more than 15 minutes without saving in a Black Isle/Obsidian game and always cycle through 15-20 save slots.

FYI, I did eventually stumble into the trunk again and was able to get all my stuff out of it, but I was never able to reattach the trunk to my car.