Have a Gaming PC but can't do Mouse and Keyboard

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey all,

Due to coordination issues and some Autism Spectrum issues, I always have issues doing the mouse and keyboard setup on my PC.

I didn't play a lot of PC games post '99 or so (minus Diablo 2), so never got any affinity for mouse and keyboard controls, but am not terrible with a controller.

Any advice in how to correct this? I will preface this that I am one of those older gamers who still has to look down at a PS4/Xbox controller for the buttons when prompted by a game (feel free to mock me).

Thanks!

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Steam Controller + Dual Shock 4 or Xbox One controller should cover you for almost any game on the PC.

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

steam controller feels incredibly awkward at first, but it will cover you for slower kbm games like 4x or maybe even stuff like pillars of eternity or stellaris. also, you can check before buying if a game has gamepad support as well. an xbox one controller has you for all of those.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm still rocking a 360 controller on the PC, but if I were to change that I would probably get the new XBOne controller or the Dualshock 4 (however I think the DS4 has driver issues on Windows, unless that's not an issue anymore).

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can you tell us if this is for a specific game or if this is just for game in general? The answer could be a difference of software or hardware setup depending on the game.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

If you are ok with a controller, the DualShock 4 integrates well with Steam now. Just take the cord you would plug it into the console, plug it into a USB port on your PC, connect the controller, and it should recognize it. Other controllers work too, however, the DS4 is my personal favorite and what I use as my gamepad.

If you want to try getting used to a mouse and keyboard, some games are easier than others. XCOM / XCOM 2 shows the keys on the screen, so you can click actions like Fire, or press the number 1 key to do the same action. Something where the action pauses or is turned based would also be good if you need to look down at the keyboard.

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_Greg
@xanadu said:

Steam Controller + Dual Shock 4 or Xbox One controller should cover you for almost any game on the PC.

I would say this answer is basically bang on.

A lot of games work with an Xbox or PS4 controller, but those that don't (older games or games that aren't 'controller-y' games, like RTS) will work great with a custom steam controller setup.

MobiusFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A warning against the Dualshock4: Most PC games only use Xbox button prompts. If remembering where the face buttons are is a problem then getting anything other than an Xbox 1 or 360 controller will add a new layer of confusion.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mobiusfun: Was just about to mention this. Some games let you change button prompts, but if coordination is an issue It's probably best to go with an Xbox controller.

Avatar image for lobster_johnson
lobster_johnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My problem with mouse and keyboard is the keyboard - once my fingers move away from WASD, I have to look down to find them again. Finding any other key I might need without looking is basically a game of chance.

This means I usually use a 360 controller but for games where this is impractacle/impossible, I found having a mouse with a ton of buttons helps a lot. Because they're not just rows of identically shaped keys it's a lot easier to locate them just by touch. That way you can usually bind all of your most important controls to the mouse and leave the bare minimum on the keyboard - WASD, Shift and Space for example.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

If you intend to play strategy games at any point, then the Steam controller is an absolute must. It can take a bit of time to set up a configuration/mapping that suits you, but it is a great way to play strategy games without relying on a KB+M combo.

For everything else, an Xbox One controller is the way to go in my opinion. I like the DS4 more, but the plug and play functionality of the Xbox One is still better. Yes, more and more games are starting to natively support the DS4, but it still seems like a 50/50 crapshoot where as I've never found a game that didn't support the Xbox controller.

HarbinLights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have never once enjoyed gaming on a keyboard and mouse. The keyboard craps my hands badly enough from typing words for an extended duration. It's even worse when I have to keep up with twitch gameplay presses. Also, there are just too many buttons on a keyboard, my brain shorts out trying to attempt to use all the keys on a keyboard for some kind of function in gaming. Having so many keys to learn and keep up with is just stressful.

Despite that, I consider myself a PC gamer. I like the platform, and I like having choices. The keyboard and mouse default choice is not necessarily the best one for most games. I use it for games like Terraria where the use of a mouse is important and a trackpad can be right by a keyboard on low end laptops that can run the game. But for the vast majority of games, I play with a gamepad only. In fact, for some games, I strongly prefer an arcade stick.

Most of the time recently, I have been using a Mayflash adapter to play my Wii U Pro Controller on PC. I like it better than my XBOX 360 and XBOX One controllers. Particularly since I'm fond of the D-Pad. Though that may just be my pipe dream of wanting Nintendo games on the PC coming out. But I do think that it feels quite a bit like an XBOX 360 wireless controller, except with a better d-pad. Which is exactly what I want in a gaming pad.

Also, I take that as a sign that this is a relatively good community that someone here can admit to being autistic without hurting their reputation or invoking bullying. That's more than I can say for most sites where people on the spectrum are the internet's victim of choice.