Halloween Film & 40s 2019?

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

What're the chances we'll be getting another batch of spooky commentaries from the Beast coast this Halloween season? I absolutely loved last year's bunch and really hope it wasn't just a one-off thing.

Also, what Halloween-flavoured movies would you like to see the crew cover? Hypothetically, of course.

doombot13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Would be great. Ernest Scared Stupid of course.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Does Army of Darkness count? Then that.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure, Army of Darkness counts; great shout, it has a little of everything.

Drag Me to Hell also has a great mix of horror and comedy. I'd love their reactions to the 'oh shit' moments in that one.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By glots

Haaaa. I almost made this exact thread yesterday, but decided to wait for a bit. I was also going to include my hopes for a new season of Fright or Shite Six Crazy Frights and suggestions for that.

As for serious flicks, I would like to see some icky movies like The Fly and Hellraiser. It Follows and maybe the first Nightmare on Elm Street too. The Descent and Poltergeist also spring to mind.

As for horror-comedies, I don't know if Abby has seen Ghostbusters yet. I'd love for an excuse to watch Little Shop of Horrors again as well, but I'm not sure if a musical is going to get any votes from them. Cabin In The Woods would be great, if none of them had seen it or heard of the twist. Army of Darkness would also get my vote, Evil Dead 2 probably too.

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 6

#9 billmcneal  Online

I think watching The Exorcist would be pretty cool.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Christine could actually be fun, what with them already having watched a couple of Carpenter flicks.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess we won't be getting spooked this year. Suppose I'll just watch Killer Klowns again!

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By glots

...and the Beastcast has proven me wrong! There’ll be four spooky Film&40s happening this month, with The Gate starting things off on the upcoming friday, so start ordering those blu-rays.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

No Caption Provided

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Doesn't have to tie in to Halloween. How about a Christmas Film & 40s this year?

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm worried about Abby's pick if she does go with The Exorcist. I'm not good with truly scary/horror movies. Everything last year was fine with me and I'm not sure if I can actually watch The Exorcist given it's reputation as a legitimately scary film.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jjbsterling: I’d image the tension will be considerably lowered when you have the Beast crew talking in the background.

It’s been forever since I saw The Exorcist. I remember it more as a very moody piece, but I don’t generally get scared by horror movies. Looking forwards to it anyway.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm worried about Abby's pick if she does go with The Exorcist. I'm not good with truly scary/horror movies. Everything last year was fine with me and I'm not sure if I can actually watch The Exorcist given it's reputation as a legitimately scary film.

I'm a pretty seasoned horror junkie, so take this with a grain of salt, but honestly? The Exorcist isn't that scary. It's unnerving, unsettling, and an excellent film all around, but its reputation is more than a little exaggerated.

BonelessSpirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't alive in the 70s but I bet back then it truly was quite horrifying. Obviously there was a bit of blatant marketing going on with the whole reporting of people fainting and vomiting at the cinemas though. Regardless I think it still holds up as an excellent movie, one of the all-time best and I'm excited to watch it again.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By glots

Not sure if the last two are on the right dates, but it seems we have these gems left.

• 18th - Event Horizon (Alex)
  • 25th - The Exorcist (Abby)
  • 31st - House on Haunted Hill (the 1999 version) or Gremlins 2. (Dan)
billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 billmcneal  Online

Has it been decided between Gremlins 2 and House on Haunted Hill?

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By glots

Haven't listened to the latest Beastcast yet, but I'd imagine they'll wait until next friday to reveal it. I haven't seen House on Haunted Hill in 19 years, but I'm going to guess that it won't hold up well (going to say it wasn't great to begin with)...which is kinda why I'm also curious to see it. Gremlins 2 would easily be a great pick, but I'm fine with either.

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 billmcneal  Online

What Film and 40s will go up on Halloween day?

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gremlins 2.

BonelessSpirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it possible for the awesome duder who uploaded a synced audio and video version of The Gate to do the same for The Exorcist? Realizing it might be a bit too much to ask but I only have access to my phone so no other way to properly watch it with commentary.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I wasn't alive in the 70s but I bet back then it truly was quite horrifying. Obviously there was a bit of blatant marketing going on with the whole reporting of people fainting and vomiting at the cinemas though. Regardless I think it still holds up as an excellent movie, one of the all-time best and I'm excited to watch it again.

This is entirely it. The Exorcist's actual legacy in filmmaking is taking the horror genre out of the fantastic and grounding it with a documentary-like approach; what the marketing in the '70s meant by "scary" was that it felt real, or genuine, like it could actually happen.

At this point, The Exorcist has been parodied too much to be authentically scary for most, and as a culture we've seen enough movies in its style to no longer be shocked by it. It's still an excellent film though, and that's coming from someone who typically dislikes horror movies. It's the template for most of the types of horror movies I do enjoy.

ltcolumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nodima: agreed. It’s all about the atmosphere and the concept. There’s nothing in the movie that you’re going to have to watch through splayed fingers.

While movie is not scary, it IS the sort of movie that will creep up in your memory at 3am.

When I was younger, there was a weekly magazine show in the United States called 20/20 (it was the one Barbara Walters hosted if there are any other old fogies here). In the early 90s the show got some serious attention by airing an actual exorcism conducted by the Catholic Church on TV. They, for lack of a better descriptor, interviewed a young woman who claimed to be possessed. It was a big effing deal At the time because even if you didn’t really believe in possession, it was proof that the Catholic Church did. I don’t even know if that was something they actively tried to hide, but they definitely didn’t advertise it, and even to a kid who was not Catholic, the concept that an organization of that size was telling me “yep, demons are real, and they’re coming for you” was absolutely terrifying.

So, the movie isn’t really scary to a lot of people, but the concept it implants affects a lot of people in a very powerful way.

MrGreenMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glots said:
@billmcneal said:

Gremlins 2.

I've seen this Film 3 times this month alone and more than happy to watch it again. This is one of my all time favorite films. I recommend anyone interested into read into the behind the scenes or at least listen to the commentary from Joe Dante as this movie nearly didn't get made and pretty much was able to get away with so much because the studio at the time was going through financial giving Joe Dante free rein to just go completely crazy with this film.