Grand Theft Auto IV vs. Saints Row 2

mg66368

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mg66368

This his been a internet debate before Saints Row 2 was even released. They both have different styles of sandbox gameplay but which game do most people prefer? Do they like the immersive and living breathing world of GTA IV or do they like the more crazy over the top style of Saints Row 2? GTA IV has much higher scored reviews than Saints Row 2 even thought Saints Row 2 was very well recieved and Yahtzee prefered Saints Row 2 over GTA IV. I haven't played either games.

So what do you guys think is a better game?

Grand Theft Auto IV or Saints Row 2?

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Grand Theft Auto 4 no contest.

The silly stuff in SR2 is cool to an extent, but most of it is just boring as hell and ridiculous. SR2 has some inexcusable bugs and is just a shoddily crafted game in some ways.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3  Edited By kush

They are completely different. Saints Row 2 is more for people who wanted GTAIV to be like San Andreas...and GTAIV was the natural evolution of the series and an attempt at more realism (partially successful). If I could have only played one game, it would have been GTAIV. I will say that I could likely see myself having more fun with SR2 overall simply because of its ridiculous nature and the fact it has full online co-op.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By RHCPfan24

GTA IV.  GTA IV.  GTA IV.

GTA IV
Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

GTA 4, as it's probably a better made and more tought out game, I had some fun with Saints Row 2 for a while tought.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By clubsandwich

Saints Row 2 because of all the crazy stuff you can do.

mg66368

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mg66368
Kush said:
"They are completely different. Saints Row 2 is more for people who wanted GTAIV to be like San Andreas...and GTAIV was the natural evolution of the series and an attempt at more realism (partially successful). If I could have only played one game, it would have been GTAIV. I will say that I could likely see myself having more fun with SR2 overall simply because of its ridiculous nature and the fact it has full online co-op."
True they are different in terms of gameplay styles but they are still sandbox games with similar game play concepts context wiste.

I just bought a copy of GTA IV by the way.
Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Pibo47
Kush said:
"They are completely different. Saints Row 2 is more for people who wanted GTAIV to be like San Andreas...and GTAIV was the natural evolution of the series and an attempt at more realism (partially successful). If I could have only played one game, it would have been GTAIV. I will say that I could likely see myself having more fun with SR2 overall simply because of its ridiculous nature and the fact it has full online co-op."
Dude, you just nailed every point i was going to. YOOOOUUUU WIN!
SgtReznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By SgtReznor

Saints Row 2

I think GTA4 almost jumped the shark a little bit when they tried to make it a gritty realistic game - which is was, but they seemed to forget that games like that are meant to be FUN.

TheGodPoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheGodPoet
Kush said:
You basically said everything I would have only I prefer Saints Row 2 over GTAIV because of all the stuff you could do and the fact I wanted GTAIV to be more like San Andreas. GTAIV was fun for the week and few days I was playing it but you realize you can only do so much. In SR2 there's more to do and you can customize your cars and yourself to a great extent. To me GTAIV was great for a week or so and then maybe a few more weeks if you go online but ultimately I prefer Saints Row 2 over it.
RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By RedSox8933

saints row 2 should NOT be compared to Grand Theft Auto IV. obviously the superior game is GTA, but Saints Row 2 is good in its own way. it really just depends what kind of person you are and what kind of games you like. if you like outrageous, stupid, offensive games then get Saints Row 2 (that was not a bash, just saying what it is), but if you like good games, then you should but GTA IV

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By LiquidPrince

GTA IV... I ask, WHY would you want to spray shit on the city? Another question, how could it be fun for more then a minute?

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Bulldog19892

I think it's a matter of taste.

GTA IV = Great characters, awesome atmosphere, incredibly lifelike city, realistic, great story
Saints Row 2 = Hilarious, very exaggerated, mindless fun.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Systech

I don't think that someone should just go out and say that Saints Row 2 is a totally different game from GTAIV... because it isn't. The games are still very similar and even all the insane stuff that was in Saints Row 2 couldn't match up to the cleanliness and sophistication of Grand Theft Auto IV.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

GTA IV is cheaper. The used market can land you the game for about $25. Play that & wait for Saint's Row 2 price to drop...by then you'll be finished with GTAIV.

coolsimon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

saints row 2 people whats wrong with you you can do more stuff in saints row than GTA and its better

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

saints row 2 is terrible. I tried to play it last week but the controls were fucking terrible on the PC,. It was a real mess. It felt more like a San Andreas it was totally dated in terms of controls.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can I play GTA IV but chuck my phone in the river?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@darji said:

saints row 2 is terrible. I tried to play it last week but the controls were fucking terrible on the PC,. It was a real mess. It felt more like a San Andreas it was totally dated in terms of controls.

Yeah, the PC port is terrible. There actually isn't a good way to play Saints Row 2, every version has some pretty bad issues. Framerate problems on the consoles and it's a pain in the ass to get it to even run properly on a PC.

...but as far as design goes I'd prefer SR2. I've played some GTA IV and playing that game is just not fun.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

GTA IV has the worst mechanics in the entire series which makes it very easy to choose Saints Row 2.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This necro bullshit is really old. Mods should lock these revivals asap but they never do.

It's tedious and almost ALWAYS necro'd by a first poster.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Is this a serious question? Is a lousy sequel of a GTA knock-off even comparable to GTAIV? Rockstar laughs at this, and so do I.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By bigjeffrey
@mg66368 said:

This his been a internet debate before Saints Row 2 was even released. They both have different styles of sandbox gameplay but which game do most people prefer? Do they like the immersive and living breathing world of GTA IV or do they like the more crazy over the top style of Saints Row 2? GTA IV has much higher scored reviews than Saints Row 2 even thought Saints Row 2 was very well recieved and Yahtzee prefered Saints Row 2 over GTA IV. I haven't played either games.

So what do you guys think is a better game?

Grand Theft Auto IV or Saints Row 2?

Which one was better, im dying to know. - 4 years, 8 months ago

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 10

#24  Edited By Shaunage

On a really basic gameplay quality level, even SR1 is better than GTA4.

Edit: lol necro'd.

Avatar image for deactivated-62a216db3532b
deactivated-62a216db3532b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saints row 2 all day.

Avatar image for deactivated-5985ee6460d86
deactivated-5985ee6460d86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SR 2 has a ton of stuff to do but it's gameplay and look are so arcadey to me while gta look and gameplay are far superior and I won't even go into plot and dialigue.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GTA4

also, comparing them isn't sacrilege. They AREN'T completely different things. It's more like green apples to red apples than apples to oranges.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By Fearbeard

I preferred GTA 4. I don't think the Saint's Row series really took off until 3.