GB sub reddit

Youngshields

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Can anyone explain why the sub reddit is set to private right now? I check in about every 10 days to see if i missed anything of note but today it won't let me access it.

Sorry if this has been asked recently, I checked a couple sections of the forums and read the past 5 or 6 pages on the reset era thread and no luck.

Thanks.

permanentsigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You missed how a huge number of subreddits went private in protest of Reddit’s API greed?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BisonHero

@permanentsigh: To be honest I think this is pretty easy to miss if you don’t regularly use Reddit, or follow news sites that exclusively report on like tech/website news. His reaction of “I’m confused why a subreddit is randomly not working” seems reasonable to me.

In the grand scheme of day-to-day news, “Reddit has new API that fucks over third parties” and “Redditors are mad about it and disabling subreddits” is some Very Online news. It’s not that relevant to the average person’s daily life.

Youngshields

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@permanentsigh: I heard some mention of a boycott on reddit, but I don't use it very much and didn't know that would be how they chose to protest. Makes sense now.

So for us uninformed how long will this likely last?

permanentsigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: the news made it to sites like CNN and subreddits had stickied mod notes about the blackout.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

permanentsigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By permanentsigh

@youngshields: some were going to do it for 48 hours as of Monday, others are doing it indefinitely.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7 chaser324  Moderator

@youngshields: some were going to do it for 48 hours as of Monday, others are doing it indefinitely.

Recent comments from the Reddit CEO make it seem like they have no intention of giving into the protests, so this may last for quite a while for those subreddits that plan on an indefinite blackout.

permanentsigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324: yeah I saw that.

And honestly, nothing stops Reddit from getting rid of all the participating moderators and reopening the subreddits themselves. In fact, I can almost guarantee that’s what they will do, at least for the bigger subreddits that participated.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 chaser324  Moderator

@permanentsigh: I hadn't considered that, but that does sound like the sort of strong-arm tactic they may apply.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why are all of the social media platforms having a contest to see who can fuck up the hardest.

I mean Twitter can't be beat there but Discord and now Reddit..

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm close to scrapping my twitter account because all it wants to feed me are CCTV fights. I can't reverse that.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Ben_H

@bisonhero: the news made it to sites like CNN and subreddits had stickied mod notes about the blackout.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The problem with stickied mod notes is that you can't actually see them right now. I had heard of the Reddit policy change but didn't hear about the planned protests because I only look at anything on Reddit once every week or two when I need specific information. I was looking for info on a GPU when suddenly every common subreddit I'd look at for info was locked down. I was pretty confused until I remembered the news about the API change.

This does drive home the increasing issue that finding useful information on the internet is getting difficult. Right now it's almost a meme that people say to tack on "reddit" when googling something since it's the only way to actually find information. Between that and lots of former sources of information now telling you to join a Discord server instead of having the info freely available, there is a genuine risk that if Reddit crashes and burns we'll also lose tons of valuable information.

@shindig said:

I'm close to scrapping my twitter account because all it wants to feed me are CCTV fights. I can't reverse that.

I already did a couple months back. I missed it at first but now I'm glad I did. Twitter just made me miserable and the new management seem hellbent on amplifying the worst parts of it. Most of the people I followed or cared about barely posted anymore as is and the "For You" feed was almost entirely garbage. The final straw was when they pushed all bluecheck replies to the top of replies for a tweet. That completely ruined the basic experience of reading tweets and replies. You can only read so many unfunny/bigoted edgelord bluecheck replies before you lose patience.

UncleJam23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By UncleJam23

@shindig: I deleted my Twitter the moment I saw that they accepted Elon's bid. Life's so much better on the other side without it.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By sombre

The main mod on the GB subreddit is such a headcase

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sombre: So are most of the posters there, so I guess it fits.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

@efesell said:

Why are all of the social media platforms having a contest to see who can fuck up the hardest.

I mean Twitter can't be beat there but Discord and now Reddit..

People who run these companies are the types who assume their skills in one area are transferable. Unfortunately, the US is setup exactly to reward this kind of thinking.

thefonzie22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They don't post much about Giant Bomb there anyways, it's mostly just losers living in the past.

Bardalien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually use the sub more than anything.. I hope it goes back up because there isn't much discussion here about all the past week on GB.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They've made it private only now? Seems weird

jstaunton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@permanentsigh: you could just have been nice about it, rather than IT WAS MENTIONED EVERYWHERE (it wasn't)

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

And honestly, nothing stops Reddit from getting rid of all the participating moderators and reopening the subreddits themselves. In fact, I can almost guarantee that’s what they will do, at least for the bigger subreddits that participated.

Funny thing is that this is exactly what happened. Except that pretty much all the mods folded when Reddit actually threatened to remove them. Including the GB mods right now.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@permanentsigh said:

Funny thing is that this is exactly what happened. Except that pretty much all the mods folded when Reddit actually threatened to remove them. Including the GB mods right now.

That Lurk guy is an absolute fruit and nut bar, so it might be a welcome change

permanentsigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mods on Reddit have proven to be spineless and won’t stand up for what they protested for.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SethMode

Reddit is just something I use when I need actual human answers to questions, so I'm VERY out of the loop, but do mods get paid?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 chaser324  Moderator
SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324: I figured. Shocker: exploited work is not just expected, people are shamed in many circles for standing up to it.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode: At this point Reddit basically wants mods to pay for being mods, since most mod tools use the API.