Drew ending Cloth Map

nilsth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By nilsth

Former Giant Bomb superstar and GIF celebrity, Drew Scanlon, has just sent out an email to his patreons explaining that he has decided to end the Cloth Map project. He does not disclose what he will do next, but that it is games-related (sadly not games media - I was hoping for a giantbomb comeback!), and that it will "make sense" when we hear about it. Hmm, flightsim related perhaps?

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Just saw this on Twitter. Where does he say that his next project is games related? I'm only seeing him say it's not games media.

nilsth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bladeofcreation: Quote from the patreon e-mail: "As for what I’m doing next, stay tuned! I can tell you that it’s games-related (though not games media) and my guess is that when you hear about it, you’ll probably think “ah, that makes sense.” I’m pretty excited about it ;)"

BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nilsth: Okay, thanks! He worded it a bit differently on Twitter. Now I'm curious what he's gonna be doing!

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tough to do travel based documentaries right now. Hope things work out. Drew really is the best of us all.

Diamond_Lime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Is Drew making Half Life 3?

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Drew will get Dirty at Codemasters? Will make more sonic art?

Avatar image for lonelyspacepanda
LonelySpacePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 11

That's unfortunate. Definitely feel like more could have been done with Cloth Map but what he did do was pretty great! Nice to see he'll still be in games and thus a possible future GB E3/bombcast guest still.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Travelling man can't travel no more. I hope he descends into madness and creates a google maps based travel show.

nilsth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nilsth: Okay, thanks! He worded it a bit differently on Twitter. Now I'm curious what he's gonna be doing!

I have no information to back this up, but Microsoft is releasing a HUGE update to Flight Simulator this fall and Drew is a known flightsim fan... Maybe they hired him as a community manager or something. But then again him joining Giphy would also make sense 😅

BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nilsth: Drew is a known flight sim fan AND a licensed pilot! I can see the overlap.

nilsth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whatever it is, I really hope it's a job that gets him in front of a camera or microphone. Really love listening to Drew talk about stuff that interests him.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder what the flight sim youtube and twitch space is going to be like once the pilot lay-offs have shaken out.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Drew's awesome and I always want him to do something that makes him happy. 3 years of Cloth Map hopefully did.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oof, interesting! i hope he feels good about his cloth map work- he achieved some impressive stuff.

putting my money on 'drew has accepted a position at a flight sim dev studio/publisher.'

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sucks but also hope things go well with future endeavors. Loved basically every cloth map episode I watched (and took a lot of inspiration in terms of travel gear and packing) but probably only had a strong interest in maybe half of the trips.

@shindig said:

I wonder what the flight sim youtube and twitch space is going to be like once the pilot lay-offs have shaken out.

I guess I never even thought of the flight sim influencer community. I guess it makes sense there would be a large overlap between actual pilots and internet pilots as that tends to be the kind of job you don't take unless you REALLY are cool with merging your career and hobby.

CountBrackmoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CountBrackmoor

Last to Twitch is a rotten egg!

VectortheAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I can't see as a community manager. He's an outstanding person and a joy but he's extremely understated and subtle. I would love if he took up with a company making FMV games.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

:blink

I never really watched Clothmap tbh but I love Drew and I look forward to checking out his next project. I'd probably watch some flight sim shenanigans.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Wish him all the best. Curious what he's going to do next.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lots of talk about doing flight sims but since he already has his license(doesn't he?) maybe he will do a " Comedians in cars getting Coffee" style show but instead he would fly someone around while interviewing them and at the end he will have a "inside the actors studio" question where he suddenly takes a nose dive and tells the interviewee' to tell him their most outlandish secret otherwise it he won't pull up.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mellotronrules

@merxworx01 said:

...at the end he will have a "inside the actors studio" question where he suddenly takes a nose dive and tells the interviewee' to tell him their most outlandish secret otherwise it he won't pull up.

this is legitimately hilarious and now i need to see drew's best james lipton (god rest his soul).

*enters induced tailspin*

"now tell me- if you were an aeroplane, what would your most sincere emotion be?"

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Drew is becoming an ice road trucker.

You heard it here first.

AWKWARDL0SER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Drew was such a sweet boy, him Brad and Austin are just so endearing especially when paired with lovable monsters like Dan & Ryan really want the best for him

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mellotronrules: absolutely great content! I would call the show "My seat has the only working ejection system".

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Drew can't be a community manager. The company's Twitter account would get ruined as every comment on every post would be blinking white guy.

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nilsth said:

Whatever it is, I really hope it's a job that gets him in front of a camera or microphone. Really love listening to Drew talk about stuff that interests him.

I agree. While we all know and love his production chops, and he really showed that side with Cloth Map, I actually enjoy his personality more than the other sides. He's a really cool guy and I'm always interested to hear what he has to say.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

The existing body of work for Cloth Map is impressive. I really loved his Mongolia docs, especially. Very interested to see where he ends up, and like a few others have said, hopefully it's somewhere that he can talk into a mic regularly.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's clearly going to work on Blink 2.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mrfluke

Something with Code Masters or working with a flight sim company.

or he's secretly funding Solitarica 2

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

It's to be expected, what with travel these days. Sad to see it go, but we got some real cool stuff out of this project, and I have to imagine he had a wonderful time throughout this whole endeavor. Interested to see what he does next, and wishing him the best.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Drew was always a video editor with a great deal of 'on camera' charm and personal affability. He certainly sharpened his video editorial voice with Cloth Map I would think. So, I would expect to see him in as a video editor for someone. Even as a small "field reporter/editor" position for some news company would be a good fit for him

...Or, writing. Or, anything. Drew is has writing and video skills, charm, and affability - a Renaissance man. By which I mean he IS likely a Templar or Assassin with knives on his wrists.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

Loved his Chernobyl doc. Actually showed snippets of it to my honors class during our lesson on the event itself.

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good for him. His Chernobyl doc was a great start, but there has been like 30 minutes of produced content on his youtube in the last year. I assume he was putting out patreon only content?

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whatever his next step is, I hope it's something that can afford the opportunity to drop into a stream or two once in a while.

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ToughShed

It was an ambitious project and props to Drew.

ZedFlips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By htr10

I wish all the best to Drew. Maybe the most fearless and humble guy on the planet. I’ll never see 10% of the world he’s seen. His talent for video editing is ridiculous. I hope this works out for him and that we see/hear from him again when he gets the chance.